Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV reception

On 2008-05-19 21:34:53 +0100, Andy Champ said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Does she live on the roof or do her sunbathing there?

Neither. It just shows when you walk up to the house.

Since our communal aerial system died today, the resistance level has
dropped somewhat... so I think I'll get a decent one, see if it works
in the loft, and if not... pole on the chimney it is.

Andy

Hmm...

I wouldn't want to do a communal anything....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Endulini" wrote in message
om...

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:18:05 +0100 someone who may be "Endulini"
wrote this:-

Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As
I've
been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced that this
is
solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather than on the
roof
which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size and not abnormally
small.

Television signals can be very local. A large tree can affect them
and thus without seeing your roof any suggestions will be broad.

I would start by finding out which transmitter your aerial points at
and then use the information at
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html#MajorTransmittersWhichAer ial
to see whether the aerial you currently have is suitable for
transmissions at the moment and more importantly post digital
switchover.

It may be that at the moment you would be better off with a wideband
aerial but after the switchover you don't need one. Are analogue
channels currently good, or are they bad too? Is only channel 5
analogue bad? If the analogue channels, except perhaps channel 5,
are good then some of the digital channels are probably being
transmitted out of band for your current aerial. If that is the case
they may be moved back in band at digital switchover and your
current aerial will be fine. You then need to decide whether to do
nothing or whether spending money is worthwhile.

All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.

Dover's crap for us too.

tim

Radio reception Roger UK diy 6 May 5th 07 08:08 AM
TV reception [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 06 04:07 AM
no UHF reception old dirtbeard Home Repair 8 February 21st 06 04:13 PM
Lousy TV reception [email protected] Home Ownership 3 August 31st 05 01:03 AM
Better TV reception chlim Home Repair 17 March 2nd 05 09:28 PM