Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hardening papermache

I'm apalled at how much a papermache liner for a 16" hanging basket
costs in the DIY sheds - TWO QUID! so I'm determined to make one
myself. I can shred and blend old paper for it, and I've got a 14"
dome I can spread it over to dry, but what does anyone think will
strengthen it so it will hold together for 6 months - some kind of
glue or bonding agent?
TIA,
|FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freecycle" wrote in message
I'm apalled at how much a papermache liner for a 16" hanging basket
costs in the DIY sheds - TWO QUID! so I'm determined to make one
myself. I can shred and blend old paper for it, and I've got a 14"
dome I can spread it over to dry, but what does anyone think will
strengthen it so it will hold together for 6 months - some kind of
glue or bonding agent?
TIA,
|FC

Erm! PVA mixed with water.

Wooden friut bowls last years if they're painted. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:02:29 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"freecycle" wrote in message
I'm apalled at how much a papermache liner for a 16" hanging basket
costs in the DIY sheds - TWO QUID! so I'm determined to make one
myself. I can shred and blend old paper for it, and I've got a 14"
dome I can spread it over to dry, but what does anyone think will
strengthen it so it will hold together for 6 months - some kind of
glue or bonding agent?
TIA,
|FC

Erm! PVA mixed with water.

Wooden friut bowls last years if they're painted. ;-)

Put the pva in with the paper as well as coating it a few times.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

freecycle wrote:

I'm apalled at how much a papermache liner for a 16" hanging basket
costs in the DIY sheds - TWO QUID! so I'm determined to make one
myself. I can shred and blend old paper for it, and I've got a 14"
dome I can spread it over to dry, but what does anyone think will
strengthen it so it will hold together for 6 months - some kind of
glue or bonding agent?
TIA,
|FC

Papier colle might be easier. But either way by the time youre done
you'll wish you'd paid £2. A more practical liner is any dark cloth.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
freecycle wrote
I'm apalled at how much a papermache liner for a 16" hanging basket
costs in the DIY sheds - TWO QUID! so I'm determined to make one
myself. I can shred and blend old paper for it, and I've got a 14"
dome I can spread it over to dry, but what does anyone think will
strengthen it so it will hold together for 6 months - some kind of
glue or bonding agent?

I've had some success with just using 2 layers of A4 printing paper
(80gram). No need for any bonding agent.

I have an old stock of day-go paper (yellow) which I soak in water
first. The trick is wet enough to mould to the shape of the basket but
not too wet that the A4 sheet falls apart. Don't worry too much about
getting any sort of smooth finish as the weight of the soil plants will
do that for you.

You could probably do the same with newspaper but don't shred it too
much - leave it in A4/A5 size sheets.

If the plants are to poke through the sides of the basket I first put
in a double layer at the bottom of the basket to a level of around 2
inches. I then recycle a carrier bag over this to retain the water when
watering in normal use. I fill to the level with soil, plant and then
use 1 inch strips to build up to the next layer of planting.

If the planting is only at the top of the basket I use the full A4
sheets to cover the inside of the basket before filling with soil.

Just rip off the surplus level to the top of the basket (after filling
with soil)

The printing paper is strong enough to hold the soil in place until the
roots of the plants fill the basket. It is the plant roots that then
keep the soil in place. The paper then just acts as a barrier to stop
the water pouring straight through. At the end of the season the paper
is a bit worse for wear but still virtually intact.

Day-go yellow does look OK until the plants cover the outside of the
basket
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com