Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen tap leaking.

.... But alas, not a nice simple one. It's a type I've never had to fix
before. Hot water side developed a fairly sudden leak.

The tap assembly is less than a year old - and a "Tapmate Narran" (
Details here http://tinyurl.com/6kwovn )

I've unscrewed everything above worktop level and cannot see anything to
fix, although inside the collar with the spout removed there's a gritty
ring about an inch down which is missing a segment to the right. No idea
whether that's design or breakage.

My biggest problem is that the belfast sink has to come out to get to
the underside of the tap, and I'd rather not do that until I've got a
replacement tap or a clear way of fixing it.

So - how do I fix it please?

(The tap is actually less than a year old so a replacement should be
gratis (B&Q are usually ok about that sort of thing))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 May 2008 07:46:16 +0100, Flash wrote:

The tap assembly is less than a year old

Stop faffing about and take it back for a refund/replacement.

Each taps looks as if it will be a ceramic 1/4 turn element. When they
fail (which TBH isn't often) you replace the entire unit behind the
handle. They are handed BTW...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
The tap assembly is less than a year old

Stop faffing about and take it back for a refund/replacement.

Heh. Yes - that's the option if there isn't a simple fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Flash" wrote in message
. uk...
... But alas, not a nice simple one. It's a type I've never had to fix
before. Hot water side developed a fairly sudden leak.

The tap assembly is less than a year old - and a "Tapmate Narran" (
Details here http://tinyurl.com/6kwovn )

I've unscrewed everything above worktop level and cannot see anything to
fix, although inside the collar with the spout removed there's a gritty
ring about an inch down which is missing a segment to the right. No idea
whether that's design or breakage.

My biggest problem is that the belfast sink has to come out to get to the
underside of the tap, and I'd rather not do that until I've got a
replacement tap or a clear way of fixing it.

So - how do I fix it please?

(The tap is actually less than a year old so a replacement should be
gratis (B&Q are usually ok about that sort of thing))

Will the gritty ring be the ceramic disc? The missing segment will be the
variable opening?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Flash" wrote in message
. uk...
... But alas, not a nice simple one. It's a type I've never had to fix
before. Hot water side developed a fairly sudden leak.

The tap assembly is less than a year old - and a "Tapmate Narran" (
Details here http://tinyurl.com/6kwovn )

I've unscrewed everything above worktop level and cannot see anything to
fix, although inside the collar with the spout removed there's a gritty
ring about an inch down which is missing a segment to the right. No idea
whether that's design or breakage.

My biggest problem is that the belfast sink has to come out to get to the
underside of the tap, and I'd rather not do that until I've got a
replacement tap or a clear way of fixing it.

So - how do I fix it please?

(The tap is actually less than a year old so a replacement should be
gratis (B&Q are usually ok about that sort of thing))

some pictures:

http://www.notjusttaps.co.uk/range-spares-fittings.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I've unscrewed everything above worktop level and cannot see anything to
fix, although inside the collar with the spout removed there's a gritty
ring about an inch down which is missing a segment to the right. No idea
whether that's design or breakage.

Will the gritty ring be the ceramic disc? The missing segment will be the
variable opening?

I don't know, but on removing the sink trap I've found the rest of it
there, so it looks like that's the culprit.

Replacing the tap is the easy bit. It's removing the massive belfast
sink in front of it that's going to be the challenge, but I'm *really*
glad I used non-setting mastic to bed it rather than adhesive or silicon.