Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where is the IR receiver in RCA rear projection TV?

I have an RF remote with an IR retransmitter. This retransmitter has
little flasher uints that you stick on the component you want to
control. I have an eight year old 60 inch RCA rear projection TV,
chassis number of PTK195AC (model P60812BL) that does not work well
with these if I put them on the front of the screen. I am going to
have to find the actual IR receiver and stick one on it if I want to
use these with this TV.

Does anyone know where the receiver unit is on the chassis? What does
it look like. I have been all over that chassis, but I don't even see
any discussion about the IR receiver in the service manual. I know it
is there someplace, but it will take a good long while to find it and
I thought i would ask you folks, since you have helped so much in the
past.

uk.d-i-y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"eganders" wrote in message
I have an RF remote with an IR retransmitter. This retransmitter has
little flasher uints that you stick on the component you want to
control. I have an eight year old 60 inch RCA rear projection TV,
chassis number of PTK195AC (model P60812BL) that does not work well
with these if I put them on the front of the screen. I am going to
have to find the actual IR receiver and stick one on it if I want to
use these with this TV.

Does anyone know where the receiver unit is on the chassis? What does
it look like. I have been all over that chassis, but I don't even see
any discussion about the IR receiver in the service manual. I know it
is there someplace, but it will take a good long while to find it and
I thought i would ask you folks, since you have helped so much in the
past.

Cut a hole in some card and move it around the receiver while someone uses
the remote.
You will soon find it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eganders wrote :
I have an RF remote with an IR retransmitter. This retransmitter has
little flasher uints that you stick on the component you want to
control. I have an eight year old 60 inch RCA rear projection TV,
chassis number of PTK195AC (model P60812BL) that does not work well
with these if I put them on the front of the screen. I am going to
have to find the actual IR receiver and stick one on it if I want to
use these with this TV.

Does anyone know where the receiver unit is on the chassis? What does
it look like. I have been all over that chassis, but I don't even see
any discussion about the IR receiver in the service manual. I know it
is there someplace, but it will take a good long while to find it and
I thought i would ask you folks, since you have helped so much in the
past.

The receiver is usually a smoke gray coloured item which looks like an
LED. Just move the remote nearer an nearer to the unit until it fails
to respond then adjust the direction of the remote until it works again
- repeat until and inch away and you have it.

Another possibility is that it might use radio for remote control.
Pointing the remote control at a security type camera on a dark night,
whilst watching the monitor would show the remote blinking its signal.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"eganders" wrote in message
I have an RF remote with an IR retransmitter. This retransmitter has
little flasher uints that you stick on the component you want to
control. I have an eight year old 60 inch RCA rear projection TV,
chassis number of PTK195AC (model P60812BL) that does not work well
with these if I put them on the front of the screen. I am going to
have to find the actual IR receiver and stick one on it if I want to
use these with this TV.

Does anyone know where the receiver unit is on the chassis? What does
it look like. I have been all over that chassis, but I don't even see
any discussion about the IR receiver in the service manual. I know it
is there someplace, but it will take a good long while to find it and
I thought i would ask you folks, since you have helped so much in the
past.

uk.d-i-y

Normally the reciever will be on the front of the board and is usually
purple in colour and looks like an LED,sometimes they are encased in a small
tin isolating unit.

Never seen a grey one before Harry?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"eganders" wrote in message
I have an RF remote with an IR retransmitter. This retransmitter has
little flasher uints that you stick on the component you want to
control. I have an eight year old 60 inch RCA rear projection TV,
chassis number of PTK195AC (model P60812BL) that does not work well
with these if I put them on the front of the screen. I am going to
have to find the actual IR receiver and stick one on it if I want to
use these with this TV.

Does anyone know where the receiver unit is on the chassis? What does
it look like. I have been all over that chassis, but I don't even see
any discussion about the IR receiver in the service manual. I know it
is there someplace, but it will take a good long while to find it and
I thought i would ask you folks, since you have helped so much in the
past.

uk.d-i-y

Can you scan the circuit diagram and throw it up somewhere on the net as a
pic and this will help us pinpoint it out for you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
uk.d-i-y

Can you scan the circuit diagram and throw it up somewhere on the net as a
pic and this will help us pinpoint it out for you?

OP asked the question in sci.electronics.repair and got it answered...

quoting wrote:

It's inside the TV, mounted to the top of the light box, and aims at
the mirror. The entire screen of the TV essentially becomes the IR
(window) of the TV.

So now you know .... :-)

--
Adrian C