Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glossing

I have bought some Dulux Trade undercoat and Dulux Trade Brilliant White
Gloss. I have sanded down the skirts and sills etc. When I have aplied a
coat of undercoat, should I give it a light sand and a second coat before
glossing or what? Whats the best way to do it for a super smoothe finish.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
I have bought some Dulux Trade undercoat and Dulux Trade Brilliant
White Gloss. I have sanded down the skirts and sills etc. When I have
aplied a coat of undercoat, should I give it a light sand and a
second coat before glossing or what? Whats the best way to do it for
a super smoothe finish.
Thanks

1 undercoat, light sanding, 1 coat gloss, very light sanding, topcoat of
gloss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
I have bought some Dulux Trade undercoat and Dulux Trade Brilliant White
Gloss. I have sanded down the skirts and sills etc. When I have aplied a
coat of undercoat, should I give it a light sand and a second coat before
glossing or what? Whats the best way to do it for a super smoothe finish.

Thanks

To get a high gloss....
apply the undercoat and use fine wet&dry sand paper ie a light sanding and
brush down the surface.

Apply a 1st coat of gloss and leave for 24 hours then use the wet&dry for
another light sanding.
Apply the final coat of gloss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
I have bought some Dulux Trade undercoat and Dulux Trade Brilliant White
Gloss. I have sanded down the skirts and sills etc. When I have aplied a
coat of undercoat, should I give it a light sand and a second coat before
glossing or what? Whats the best way to do it for a super smoothe finish.

Thanks

Thanks you two.

No problem Sammy.
The way suggest is less time but but to get a real high gloss or glass
finish if you like is to use the wet&dry with soapy water and rub down each
gloss coat after 48 hours to give the paint time to cure and set.
But if you're in a hurry the prescribed method said earlier will suffice.
Personally I prefer to spend some time on painting gloss because when its
done come 12 months or 2 years on, alls thats need would be a rub down with
turps and we're away with the paint and brush ie no sanding necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

So if I want a real high shine I undercoat, light sand, gloss, rub down with
soapy wet and dry (fairy liquid???) then gloss a final coat.......yes?

Sorry all bit confuzzled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Yes,thats why the paper is called wet&dry.
Basically it was used on car body repairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:

So if I want a real high shine I undercoat, light sand, gloss, rub down with
soapy wet and dry (fairy liquid???) then gloss a final coat.......yes?

Sorry all bit confuzzled.

Samantha,

If you want a really good finish, preparation is key. The surface must
have no defects before you apply the last top coat, and be completely
dust free. You can get this with 600 (or more) wet-and-dry paper used
wet, then cleaned with dust wipes. You then top coat it, wait a bit,
then curse and repeat because some marks have been made visible by the
gloss!

I do this on my wooden sailing dinghy. I never use any kind of soap.
Sometimes it looks really nice... and sometimes I find dust in it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Samantha Booth wrote:

So if I want a real high shine I undercoat, light sand, gloss, rub down
with soapy wet and dry (fairy liquid???) then gloss a final
coat.......yes?

Sorry all bit confuzzled.

Samantha,

If you want a really good finish, preparation is key. The surface must
have no defects before you apply the last top coat, and be completely dust
free. You can get this with 600 (or more) wet-and-dry paper used wet,
then cleaned with dust wipes. You then top coat it, wait a bit, then
curse and repeat because some marks have been made visible by the gloss!

I do this on my wooden sailing dinghy. I never use any kind of soap.
Sometimes it looks really nice... and sometimes I find dust in it.

Andy

Thanks to you all for your help. I want to Do It Myself as much as possible
but its knowing how tio do it the right way. I am not going to cut corners
on this. Thanks again and hope you dont mind the million and one questions I
have.
Ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote:

Thanks to you all for your help. I want to Do It Myself as much as possible
but its knowing how tio do it the right way. I am not going to cut corners
on this. Thanks again and hope you dont mind the million and one questions I
have.

Samantha,

Don't hesitate to ask questions, because other people like me also
learn from the excellent answers given.

Bruce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message

Thanks to you all for your help. I want to Do It Myself as much as

possible
but its knowing how tio do it the right way. I am not going to cut corners
on this. Thanks again and hope you dont mind the million and one questions

have.
Ta

you have now 98,000 I think? questions left.

;-)