Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy audit on a house?

Are there people/organisations that will carry out
a scientific audit on a house,
measuring where heat is lost, etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are there people/organisations that will carry out
a scientific audit on a house,
measuring where heat is lost, etc?

Yes.

How deep are your pockets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are there people/organisations that will carry out
a scientific audit on a house,
measuring where heat is lost, etc?

Yes.

How deep are your pockets?

Get the experts in to do a Home Information Pack Survey

ducks
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 May 2008 13:51:21 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
wrote
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are there people/organisations that will carry out
a scientific audit on a house,
measuring where heat is lost, etc?

Yes.

How deep are your pockets?

Get the experts in to do a Home Information Pack Survey

ducks

Rentals need an energy certificate from October apparently.
Don't know what's involved in that.

I think all this HIP energy stuff is nonsense without a IR photo of
the outside of your home in winter with the heating on. Until you
physically see where the heat escapes - and stop it doing so, then
it's all pointless.
Putting a tick in a box for CWI without checking that it is doing it's
stuff seems mad.
If your double glazing bleeds heat because it's poorly fitted then
that needs sorting out too. etc etc etc

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mogga writes:

Rentals need an energy certificate from October apparently.
Don't know what's involved in that.

Yes, I heard that on the Radio today. Needs doing every
time the tenent changes, but not if they just renew, if
I heard it correctly.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:05:04 +0100 someone who may be Mogga
wrote this:-

Rentals need an energy certificate from October apparently.
Don't know what's involved in that.

Presumably the same sort of survey as done when selling a house.
Nothing scientific about that.

This can be done by anyone with a calculator, as it has been dumbed
down to be simple enough for the sort of people who are involved in
the house selling business to do.

However, that wasn't good enough for the Labour Party, as DIY
wouldn't involve the sort of money making scam they love. Therefore
the simple procedure has to be done by someone who has paid to go on
a course to make them an "expert", probably pays money to keep them
an "expert" and gives the data they gather on your house to the
government for them to lose and misuse.

http://projects.bre.co.uk/sap2005/ details the methodology. The
reduced data version is acceptable in many cases I believe, that
really is a Mickey Mouse thing.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

[...]

Hmm... is there a purpose to this?

Apart from the tenant, who gets the data?

Is this a wheeze to transfer money from landlords to employment without
passing through the hands of government as a tax?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:15:25 +0100 someone who may be Tim Lamb
wrote this:-

Hmm... is there a purpose to this?

Apart from the tenant, who gets the data?

Presumably the landlord who is carrying out the survey and
government. In the latter case it is claimed that energy efficiency
officers will be able to target their help. Of course that implies
that government helps people, which would be a novel idea but I
doubt they will do much or anything in this case.

Of course this assumes that there is a scheme to get landlords to
have this sort of thing done and the information is abused by being
sent to government as it is in the energy survey scam for houses
being sold. So far nobody has given a URL of such a scheme and I
can't be bothered to look it up.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:15:25 +0100 Tim Lamb wrote :
http://projects.bre.co.uk/sap2005/ details the methodology. The
reduced data version is acceptable in many cases I believe, that
really is a Mickey Mouse thing.

Hmm... is there a purpose to this?

Apart from the tenant, who gets the data?

The theory is the same as the requirement to display car fuel figures. A
tenant goes into a letting agency, narrows his choice down to two and
then sees from the EPCs that one has projected energy costs that are
twice that of the other. So he chooses the one that with the lower
figures. After a bit the landlord of the high-cost unlettable flat
decides to do something and then gets it reassessed.

Do I see this happening in real life? All the evidence to date seems to
be that most people don't take any notice of HIPs.

Indeed - two "identical in all other respects" flats are, in practice,
extremely rare. The prospective tenant will generally have other criteria
(near to bus stop/shops/pubs/relations, size of rooms, decor, garden, garage
etc. etc). The energy costs (if looked at at all) will be on the basis "oo,
and it's energy costs are supposed to be good" or "bit of a shame the energy
assessment isn't that good but never mind" but won't actually change the
decision. Flats where the prospective energy costs are "twice that of
another very similar one" are going to be very rare too. More often than not
it's going to be at the 25% level. You either want to live somewhere or you
don't and the decision is generally made as you enter through the front
door - "this feels good" or "no, I don't think so". All else is detail.
IMHO.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)