Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Has anyone here paid for an energy audit? Is it worth it?

I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 8:24 pm, Joe wrote:
I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?

It depends. if you have reason to think your insulation/air sealing
etc is less than ideal, yet aren't sure what to do and where to do it,
then yes.I have a friend who paid for an audit and they found several
major uninsulated spots that he was able to remedy (His kitchen had a
dropped ceiling that was basically open to an uninsulated area). Is
he saving money? How can you be sure unless you keep perfect records
of the temperature, thermostat settings, fuel consumption, etc. But
with today's energy costs, 100 bucks seems like small potatoes.
Besides, gains in comfort level are worth something too. Personally,
I have a pretty good understanding of my house's weak spots, so I'd be
wasting my money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?

Depends on what they do. If the person comes out with an IR scanner maybe. If
its the clowns who wander around your house for 15 minutes, suggest you install
storm windows and hand you a packet of outlet insulators, no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 11:15�pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
Joe wrote:
I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?

Depends on what they do. If the person comes out with an IR scanner maybe. If
its the clowns who wander around your house for 15 minutes, suggest you install
storm windows and hand you a packet of outlet insulators, no.

get a air door pressure test

thats the only really effective energy saver

it shows all the air leaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?

Depends on your ability. If you can crawl into the attic to check how much
insulation you have, that is probably the most physical demanding part. The
rest is checking window seal, lighting types, etc. Read up a little and do
your own audit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

get a air door pressure test

thats the only really effective energy saver

it shows all the air leaks

No. It just shows the total. IR helps...

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?

Depends on your ability. If you can crawl into the attic to check how much
insulation you have, that is probably the most physical demanding part. The
rest is checking window seal, lighting types, etc. Read up a little and do
your own audit.

Most of the ones the utility companies were doing included stuff like
the positive pressure tests to identify where, specifically, there were
leaks and so on as well.

I'd suspect if they (the utility) is referring to a specific service
they would be competent but it never hurts to ask what, specifically,
the audit would encompass.

As you say, much is pretty self-evident to a reasonably aware person,
but a little "trick-of-the trade" expertise never hurts if it comes w/
the service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 12:31�pm, wrote:
wrote:
get a air door pressure test

thats the only really effective energy saver

it shows all the air leaks

No. It just shows the total. IR helps...

Nick

not if they go around with a smoke pencil and draft detection.

lets you know what to plug
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Dec 30 2007, 10:24*pm, Joe wrote:
I called my utility to ask if they offer a free energy audit and the
answer was no. They told me they could refer me to a service that does
them for about $100. Is it worth the money to have someone come out
and perform this service? Did you save any money after implementing
their suggestions?

Joe if you were here in Canada, there is an offer at wich you may get
grants and 0% loans if you get tests done. Their might be some in your
area too.
Blower door test is done on the house and they will go around the
house finding other colprits such as phantom loads, energy star
appliances... like it was mentioned before do a little reaserch and
you may find some of these things yourself but for a 100$ I think its
a good bet if you are think you are paying too much for your power.

[here] When they come and give you the test, they grade you and tell
you were to improve things, then they come back and retest to see the
improvements and with your scores and improvments you get the grants
for the areas you have improved.

Here is a link to one program offered.
Canadian:
http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residenti...mprovement.cfm
Provincial
http://www.efficiencynb.ca/Promo/FAQ1-e.asp

IR scan... I need to look into that one.
cln

Energy audit gave us 12 Compact fluorescent lights free Steve Home Repair 4 May 2nd 07 02:02 AM
D-I-Y home energy audit using IR camera [email protected] Home Repair 13 February 2nd 07 04:59 PM
D-I-Y home energy audit using IR camera [email protected] Home Ownership 7 February 2nd 07 04:59 PM
Home energy audit Keith D UK diy 1 August 15th 06 08:07 PM
Condominium board To Audit or Not to Audit ? Tony Tedesco Home Ownership 7 November 13th 05 12:34 AM