Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keeping birds out of the roof tiles

We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the
tile) in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting
in there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some
don't. Any idea where I get these things from?

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over
the gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in Australia
and can't find it here. Do we have anything similar here?

Thanks for listening.
--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the tile)
in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting in
there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some don't.
Any idea where I get these things from?

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over the
gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in Australia
and can't find it here. Do we have anything similar here?

Thanks for listening.
--
John

The young will be leaving soon and the nests won't be re-occupied this year.
Let them be, there are enough pressures on the bird population already

Mary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over
the gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in
Australia and can't find it here. Do we have anything similar here?

I haven't seen that mesh stuff before. We have these fitted, they seem to
work:

http://www.plastic-building-supplies...ves-Bird-Comb-
Filler-Stop.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
vreseerf.nafah.reverse scribeth thus
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the
tile) in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting
in there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some
don't. Any idea where I get these things from?

We've got those too and its delightful listening to them very early in
the morning, especially now the chicks have hatched. Been there Two
nesting sites for the last 10 odd years.

If they aren't doing any harm why do you want rid of them?.

Theres precious little of where they should be out in the country left
so thats I suppose why they've moved in .....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mary Fisher
scribeth thus

"John" wrote in message
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the tile)
in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting in
there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some don't.
Any idea where I get these things from?

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over the
gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in Australia
and can't find it here. Do we have anything similar here?

Thanks for listening.
--
John

The young will be leaving soon and the nests won't be re-occupied this year.

We've had two broods some years....

Let them be, there are enough pressures on the bird population already

Indeed .. including all the cats round here!..

Mary.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the tile)
in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting in
there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some don't.
Any idea where I get these things from?

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over the
gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in Australia
and can't find it here. Do we have anything similar here?

Thanks for listening.
--
John

If you disturb nesting birds you can be jailed.
Don't do it until later in the year, ask the RSPB when.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
vreseerf.nafah.reverse scribeth thus
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the
tile) in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting
in there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some
don't. Any idea where I get these things from?

We've got those too and its delightful listening to them very early in
the morning, especially now the chicks have hatched. Been there Two
nesting sites for the last 10 odd years.

If they aren't doing any harm why do you want rid of them?.

Mrs. says....

Theres precious little of where they should be out in the country left
so thats I suppose why they've moved in .....

We live next to a load of trees - they could easily nest in there.
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over
the gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in
Australia and can't find it here. Do we have anything similar here?

I haven't seen that mesh stuff before. We have these fitted, they seem to
work:

http://www.plastic-building-supplies.co.uk/Product155/Eaves-Bird-Comb-Filler-Stop.aspx

Looks good - how do you fit it? Do they just slide in?
--
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 May 2008 12:00:17 +0100, John wrote:

PCPaul wrote:

I haven't seen that mesh stuff before. We have these fitted, they seem
to work:

http://www.plastic-building-supplies...ves-Bird-Comb-

Filler-Stop.aspx

Looks good - how do you fit it? Do they just slide in?

Ideally you lift/take out the last row of tiles, fit it then put them
back. Which was fine for us as we had the interlocking concrete tiles.
The upright tines are flexible so they just bend out of the way of the
tiles but are solid enough to stop birds and squirrels getting through.

The right angled bit at the bottom is designed to be screwed/nailed into
the top of the bargeboard, but I guess it could be glued instead if
access is a real problem.

You *might* be able to get to it from inside the roof. But that will be a
very awkward hot and itchy job if your roof is anything like ours...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
vreseerf.nafah.reverse scribeth thus
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the
tile) in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting
in there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some
don't. Any idea where I get these things from?

We've got those too and its delightful listening to them very early in
the morning, especially now the chicks have hatched. Been there Two
nesting sites for the last 10 odd years.

If they aren't doing any harm why do you want rid of them?.

Mrs. says....

In that case then....

Theres precious little of where they should be out in the country left
so thats I suppose why they've moved in .....

We live next to a load of trees - they could easily nest in there.

Security issue round here with all the cats about;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Mrs. says....

We live next to a load of trees - they could easily nest in there.

Tree nesting birds don't usually nest in houses (aka caves, holes in rocks
etc.), and vice versa.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:

I haven't seen that mesh stuff before. We have these fitted, they seem
to work:

http://www.plastic-building-supplies...ves-Bird-Comb-

Filler-Stop.aspx

Looks good - how do you fit it? Do they just slide in?

Ideally you lift/take out the last row of tiles, fit it then put them
back. Which was fine for us as we had the interlocking concrete tiles.
The upright tines are flexible so they just bend out of the way of the
tiles but are solid enough to stop birds and squirrels getting through.

The right angled bit at the bottom is designed to be screwed/nailed into
the top of the bargeboard, but I guess it could be glued instead if
access is a real problem.

You *might* be able to get to it from inside the roof. But that will be a
very awkward hot and itchy job if your roof is anything like ours...

But he could get Mrs to do it since she's the one who's complaining,
allegedly.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote in message
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the
tile) in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting
in there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some
don't. Any idea where I get these things from?

Ideally (thinking about it) I'd like to put some sort of netting over
the gap all the way along. I've found this
http://www.roofing.net.au/products.php#guttercover but it's in Australia
and can't find it here.

Assuming they are house sparrows which are in serious decline
http://www.bto.org/appeals/house_sparrow.htm
They are not doing any permanent damage to your property so
is it really impossible for you to let them live alongside you for a few
weeks in the summer.
Its also illegal to disturb nesting birds.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Emil Tiades" wrote in message

On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:32:36 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

If you disturb nesting birds you can be jailed.

Which section of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 states such a
thing?
Bearing in mind we are talking about birds -which are highly unlikely
to be golden eagle or swans- nesting under rooftiles

Any wild birds.

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/exere...a-54ab3f371a1a
for an example.
If you let me know the address I will check with the local officer to see if
its OK. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
vreseerf.nafah.reverse scribeth thus
We've got birds nesting in the ridges (between the tarpaulin and the
tile) in a few sections of the roof. How on earth do I stop them getting
in there? A lot of the roof has plastic bits in these spaces but some
don't. Any idea where I get these things from?

We've got those too and its delightful listening to them very early in
the morning, especially now the chicks have hatched. Been there Two
nesting sites for the last 10 odd years.

If they aren't doing any harm why do you want rid of them?.

Mrs. says....

Theres precious little of where they should be out in the country left
so thats I suppose why they've moved in .....

We live next to a load of trees - they could easily nest in there.

Some endangered species don't nest in trees, like house sparrows don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:54:58 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Assuming they are house sparrows which are in serious decline
http://www.bto.org/appeals/house_sparrow.htm

Hmmm
Up 29% in Scotland and up 63% in Wales.
More or less since Labour have been in power
The *******s chased them out of England.

They are not doing any permanent damage to your property so

£ 480 bill to replace the sheets under the tiles, which the little
buggers had punctured / ripped / fallen through.

That wasn't sparrows, probably squirrels, check for other damage in the
attic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Emil Tiades wrote in message

£ 480 bill to replace the sheets under the tiles, which the little
buggers had punctured / ripped / fallen through.

Rats mice squeals yes, sparrows I don't think so

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Emil Tiades wrote in message

£ 480 bill to replace the sheets under the tiles, which the little
buggers had punctured / ripped / fallen through.

Rats mice squeals yes, sparrows I don't think so

-

Some birds do cause damage. I had a lot of starlings nesting on the felt
under pantiles. Their s**t seems to be highly corrosive and rotted the
felt. It's not just age because other areas where they weren't nesting
are fine. I didn't have to evict them because one year they just
disappeared and never came back. Can't say I'm sorry because they are
avian chavs. Noisy, vulgar and flashy. (Duck head for comeback!) I don't
mind other birds nesting including the blue tits under porch roof, but
serious damage is a different matter. The mesh idea is good and the
cheapest.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter
Scott scribeth thus
Mark wrote:
Emil Tiades wrote in message

£ 480 bill to replace the sheets under the tiles, which the little
buggers had punctured / ripped / fallen through.

Rats mice squeals yes, sparrows I don't think so

-

Some birds do cause damage. I had a lot of starlings nesting on the felt
under pantiles. Their s**t seems to be highly corrosive and rotted the
felt.

Jeezz!... what is it in Pigeon **** that sets like epoxy resin and is
just as hard if you let it go off?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:08:50 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Peter
Scott scribeth thus
Mark wrote:
Emil Tiades wrote in message

£ 480 bill to replace the sheets under the tiles, which the little
buggers had punctured / ripped / fallen through.

Rats mice squeals yes, sparrows I don't think so

-

Some birds do cause damage. I had a lot of starlings nesting on the felt
under pantiles. Their s**t seems to be highly corrosive and rotted the
felt.

Jeezz!... what is it in Pigeon **** that sets like epoxy resin and is
just as hard if you let it go off?...

Probably 'guano' or part thereof: