Old January 20th 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birds pecking at roof shingles

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Old January 20th 08, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 3:09*pm, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:
* * *I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. *This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract *birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
* * * *Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? * My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. * There MUST be a simpler way!
* * * * *I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What bird or squirrel eats roofs, a strip of copper or zinc at the Top
keeps off mold and im sure animals, what did you have an organic corn
base roof?? Its strange.
Old January 20th 08, 10:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:09:12 -0500, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Simple solution and dont cost a cent. Take some aluminum soda or beer
cans. Punch a small hole in the side and shove a piece of wire into
the hole and out the opening on top. Put one of these cans about
every 2 feet attached to nails or screws (on roof edge, not into the
shingles). The cans are sort of noisy but not really bad. They
stopped woodpeckers from poking holes in my shed. It's a combination
of the noise and the shiny can. I have not had a pecker make a hole
since I hung the cans about 5 years ago.

PS. I always wondered if some shiny windchimes would work too????
Old January 20th 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What kind of birds?

We go to a restaurant that has outdoor dining. To keep the birds out,
they run nylon fishing line
in a grid pattern across the open side of the deck. Rigging some fish
line, if feasible, would
probably keep them off.
Old January 20th 08, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What kind of birds?

We go to a restaurant that has outdoor dining. To keep the birds out,
they run nylon fishing line
in a grid pattern across the open side of the deck. Rigging some fish
line, if feasible, would
probably keep them off.

Good idea, but get the heavy stuff, like 50-60 lb test. More visible, less
likely to degrade. He doesn't want to be repeating the chore too often.

Old January 20th 08, 10:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:21:22 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 20, 3:09*pm, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:
* * *I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. *This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract *birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
* * * *Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? * My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. * There MUST be a simpler way!
* * * * *I'd much appreciate any help on this!

What bird or squirrel eats roofs, a strip of copper or zinc at the Top
keeps off mold and im sure animals, what did you have an organic corn
base roof?? Its strange.

In my years; I've never seen enough grit, eaten by any bird (s) that
might required new shingles. In fact, never saw a bird eat the grit
from a shingle.

OP can set out a feeder for the birds and add grit(S)

Oren
Old January 20th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Do you have a lot of bugs on your roof? I doubt it's the grit they're
after.

Old January 21st 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

SNIPS

OP can set out a feeder for the birds and add grit(S)

And a cat or two.

Oren

Old January 21st 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Pdk Pdk wrote:

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

20 ga. or .410 shotgun.
Old January 21st 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Pdk Pdk" wrote in message
I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily
caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof,
on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the
occasional squirrel).
Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep
birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to
contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds
from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent
from them. There MUST be a simpler way!
I'd much appreciate any help on this!

Get a FiShock. Wrap spiral bare wires around a 2' piece of 3/4" PVC. Once
they land on it, they will NEVER ever return to your rooftop.

Steve