Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting Over a Conservatory

Hi

The rendering over our conservatory desperately needs painting - plus some
cracks need attending to.
The problem is, how do I gain access to do this. Unfortunately, the
conservatory extends to one corner of the house, so leaning over from that
end isn't really an option. I could use a long handled roller, but that
would require a lot of sheeting and even then I'd probably end up scraping
paint off things for ages - assuming I could reach them. Plus, I still
wouldn't be able to get to the cracks.

So, I'm starting to think about scaffolding. Does anyone have any experience
of this? The conservatory is about 4.5m wide and I'd need to clear about
3.5m in height. I'm going to approach some local firms on Monday and
wondered what sort of cost to expect for a couple of towers and a platform,
including erection for a week. Any idea?

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:02:05 +0100, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Depending on the access to the area around it, you might end up with a
hydraulic lift for a couple of days instead. To get scaffolding to span a
4.5m conservatory sounds like a big job (lots of counterbalancing
required maybe? I'm no expert...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PCPaul" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks a lot.

I should have added that there is very limited access to the back garden
where the conservatory is situated.

Thanks
Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks a lot.

I should have added that there is very limited access to the back garden
where the conservatory is situated.

Thanks
Jeff

Conservatory roof glaziing...no chance of taking these out at the intervals
where you need to work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:29:05 +0000, George wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks a lot.

I should have added that there is very limited access to the back
garden where the conservatory is situated.

Thanks
Jeff

Conservatory roof glaziing...no chance of taking these out at the
intervals where you need to work?

When I was building our uPVC conservatory there was no problem with
putting scaffolding planks across the roof beams and walking on them, as
long as you spread the load across at least three or four beams.

Maybe also try and wedge the planks in place somehow if you're going to
be walkin around on them a lot. The roof wasn't 'untouchable' though, is
what I'm trying to say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

==================================
A cantilevered scaffold is possible like this:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0011.jpg

but 4.5 metres might be stretching things a bit. It won't fall over
provided that the top horizontals can rest against the wall.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies.
I particularly like the idea of removing some roof panes.

Regards
Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks for the replies.
I particularly like the idea of removing some roof panes.

Regards
Jeff

If you go this way and its a ladder job? do harness yourself to something?
even if its a rope going through a bedroom window tied to the wardrobe :-)

Seen this before where the guy took out panes of the conservatory glass to
do some work above,came off the ladder and he now has very little use of his
right hand because as he went through the conservatory roof his lower arm
was severely damaged which got caught in glass sticking out on the edge of
the framework

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 7:23*am, "George" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks for the replies.
I particularly like the idea of removing some roof panes.

Regards
Jeff

If you go this way and its a ladder job? do harness yourself to something?
even if its a rope going through a bedroom window tied to the wardrobe :-)

Seen this before where the guy took out panes of the conservatory glass to
do some work above,came off the ladder and he now has very little use of his
right hand because as he went through the conservatory roof his lower arm
was severely damaged which got caught in glass sticking out on the edge of
the framework

What happened to the wardrobe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On May 12, 7:23 am, "George" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Thanks for the replies.
I particularly like the idea of removing some roof panes.

Regards
Jeff

If you go this way and its a ladder job? do harness yourself to something?
even if its a rope going through a bedroom window tied to the wardrobe :-)

Seen this before where the guy took out panes of the conservatory glass to
do some work above,came off the ladder and he now has very little use of

his
right hand because as he went through the conservatory roof his lower arm
was severely damaged which got caught in glass sticking out on the edge of
the framework

What happened to the wardrobe?

It was built-in so he couldn't get a rope round it. :-P