Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ordering door frame timber

Hi all.
I am getting closer to replacing the front door frame & door.
I was going to use mahogany but its too expensive.
On Laver's timber web site they have 100mm x 65mm redwood ( I assume its
scots pine)
with a pre-cut rebate.
My frame has sidelights and a toplight.
Should I use this same timber for all parts of the frame or order
non-rebated lengths for the timbers
that won't form the actual door frame?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:52:18 +0100, "Arthur2"
wrote:

Hi all.
I am getting closer to replacing the front door frame & door.
I was going to use mahogany but its too expensive.
On Laver's timber web site they have 100mm x 65mm redwood ( I assume its
scots pine)
with a pre-cut rebate.
My frame has sidelights and a toplight.
Should I use this same timber for all parts of the frame or order
non-rebated lengths for the timbers
that won't form the actual door frame?

Thanks.

Arthur

i would have a door frame made with integral sill and draft excluders
and a water bar
however if you have the neccessary skills and equipment you may do it
yourself
how does 65mm timber compare to whats already there?
seems a bit heavy for a door frame
but if youre happy with it the rebate will be useful for forming the
glazing pockets
the cill and the transom at the top of the door should be full frame
width so the frame is stiff when fixed
and no butt joints
and do a thorough survey of the structural opening
nothing worse than carefully making the frame only to find it wont fit
because te structure is out of plumb or level

breeze
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I hadn't thought of making more than a simple height and width measurement.
So I will
take a lot more measurements and check for squareness.
When it come to gluing and nailing I think I should cut plywood inserts for
all the window spaces
to make double sure of flatness and getting it spot on. Is this a good
idea?

I don't have full width cramps but I could hire some.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all.
I am getting closer to replacing the front door frame & door.
I was going to use mahogany but its too expensive.
On Laver's timber web site they have 100mm x 65mm redwood ( I assume its
scots pine)
with a pre-cut rebate.
My frame has sidelights and a toplight.
Should I use this same timber for all parts of the frame or order
non-rebated lengths for the timbers
that won't form the actual door frame?

Thanks.

Arthur

i would have a door frame made with integral sill and draft excluders
and a water bar
however if you have the neccessary skills and equipment you may do it
yourself
how does 65mm timber compare to whats already there?

The 65 x 100 is about the same size as what is already in place. I have an
old
mid terrace.

Arthur

Build on top of garage with timber frame? marc_ely UK diy 6 August 21st 07 03:57 AM
TIMBER-FRAME GARDEN SHED J T Woodworking 0 December 30th 06 09:05 PM
Timber frame inner wall fixing Lobster UK diy 3 March 1st 06 11:05 AM
Timber Frame Help Pat-UK Home Repair 1 October 25th 05 06:13 PM
Has anyone ever bought a timber frame selfbuilder UK diy 0 April 8th 05 05:58 PM