Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Satellite receivers?

My turn for a question...

I used to be up to date on this, but not now. We have a satellite
system for the caravan providing free to air channels only on (but not
limited to) Astra 28.2 deg. At home we have a (now old) Sky receiver,
with card slot and dish all working.

We gave up subscribing to Sky long ago. Now I appreciate we could use
the caravan receiver in the house on the Sky dish to get the free to
air channels - but read on. We were thinking of getting another free to
air receiver for the house to use instead. Then I saw a system
advertised for use with Sky, but it seemed to suggest that the Sky
system could also pick all of the FtoA channels too.

Is our basic Sky supplied system able to tune to the FtoA channels, or
is it locked to just the 'appproved' Sky ones.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
My turn for a question...

I used to be up to date on this, but not now. We have a satellite system
for the caravan providing free to air channels only on (but not limited
to) Astra 28.2 deg. At home we have a (now old) Sky receiver, with card
slot and dish all working.

We gave up subscribing to Sky long ago. Now I appreciate we could use the
caravan receiver in the house on the Sky dish to get the free to air
channels - but read on. We were thinking of getting another free to air
receiver for the house to use instead. Then I saw a system advertised for
use with Sky, but it seemed to suggest that the Sky system could also pick
all of the FtoA channels too.

Is our basic Sky supplied system able to tune to the FtoA channels, or is
it locked to just the 'appproved' Sky ones.

You might like to look at the new Freesat receivers that are
just beginning to appear.
There is a lot of confusion ATM about this not least because
of Freesat from Sky.
These Freesat receivers receive the same program streams
from Astra 2* as you are getting now, but use a new EPG
that is not controlled by $KY so now you can have a
D-Sat PVR without paying a subscription to Murdoch.
*The Freesat EPG actually comes from Eurobird, three
tenths of a degree further East than Astra 2, so as near as makes
no difference.

You can manually tune a Sky box but it's a bit messy
Try using "add channels" to tune to 10729MHz V pol,
22000 symbol rate, FEC 5/6 then store the stream
"8350" you can now select 8350 in "other channels"
it is Channel 4 and is FTA on that stream.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Emil Tiades wrote:

uk.media.tv.sky
alt.satellite.tv.europe
alt.satellite.tv.europe.sky
uk.tech.tv.sky

Arse!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If its a sky digital it will display a lot of free channels including the
ones on freview.
If it isn't a digital one, chuck it.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/ may be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home laid this down on his screen :
If its a sky digital it will display a lot of free channels including the
ones on freview.
If it isn't a digital one, chuck it.

It is digital.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/ may be useful.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:32:59 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I used to be up to date on this, but not now.

Not surprised it keeps changing and has just changed again with the launch
of the BBC/ITV joint venture "Freesat" *not* to confused with the long
running "Freesat from Sky".

Your Sky box (assuming it's digital, but I should imagine it is) will
receive lots of FTA channels accessable via the Sky EPG. This a Sky box
comparision against the Freeview (digital terrestial TV):

On a DSAT Sky box:

FTA means receivable without a Sky card.
FTV means you need a Freesat from Sky card but no subscription.
SUB means you need to subscribe via Sky.

FTA Channels:
BBC 1 (101), BBC 2 (102), BBC 3 (115), BBC 4 (116),
ITV 1 (103), ITV 2 (118), ITV 3 (119), ITV 4 (120), ITV 2 + 1 (131),
E4 (136), E4 + 1 (137), More4 (138), More 4 + 1 (139), Film 4 (315),
S4C (134), Nuts (207), CBBC (613), CBeebies (614), CITV (621),
BBC News (503), BBC Parliment (504), Sky News (501), S4C2 (507),
Community (539), Teachers (880),
Ideal World (634), QVC (630), Price Drop (635), Bid-Up (644).

FTV Channels:
4 (104), five (105), Fiver (182), Five US (180), Sky 3 (108).

SUB Channels:
UKTV History (537), Virgin 1 (121), Dave (111), Sky Sports News (405),
The Hits (350), TMF (348).

Channels not found in the Sky EPG:
Smile, teleg, teletext.

The channels you "lose" between Freeview and Freesat from Sky are the SUB
and "not found" ones. Your old Sky card should function as a "Freesat from
Sky" card if it doesn't you also lose the FTV channels.

Has anyone found a decent channel listing for BBC/ITV Freesat yet?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 May 2008 21:29:22 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/ may be useful.

Thanks.

Note that is the new BBC/ITV Freesat service. This "sort of" requires a
Freesat receiver but see my other post about what your Sky Digibox will
get you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
dennis@home laid this down on his screen :
If its a sky digital it will display a lot of free channels including the
ones on freview.
If it isn't a digital one, chuck it.

It is digital.

Don't lose the card, you will want it even though you can't get sky with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:32:59 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I used to be up to date on this, but not now.

I'm about to start using Freesat (the BBC/ITV version). To start with
I'm going to use a single output LNB. If it all seems promising I'll
swap this for a quad one.

However... my Televes masthead amp has an input for 'sat'. Does this
mean that, when the multiplexed signal goes down the line to all of the
wall sockets, I can plug the one feed into more than one satellite
receiver? If so why sell twin and quad LNBs? I am sure that there will
be a reason why one feed can only be used for one receiver.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
om...
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:32:59 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I used to be up to date on this, but not now.

I'm about to start using Freesat (the BBC/ITV version). To start with I'm
going to use a single output LNB. If it all seems promising I'll swap this
for a quad one.

However... my Televes masthead amp has an input for 'sat'. Does this mean
that, when the multiplexed signal goes down the line to all of the wall
sockets, I can plug the one feed into more than one satellite receiver? If
so why sell twin and quad LNBs? I am sure that there will be a reason why
one feed can only be used for one receiver.

Peter Scott

I don't know what the SAT input does, but the answer to your fundamental
question is 'no'.

LNBs can recieve 4 different 'signals' from the sat. at any one time.
The channels are spread out between these 4 signals.
When a sat reciever tunes to a channel, it sends up control signals to the
LNB to tell it which of the 4 'signals' to tune to.
The LNB is switchable between the 4 signals.

If you want to use 2 recievers, you need a dual LNB, so each reciever can
tell it's LNB to select the appropriate signal from the 4. ( each reciever
may be tuned to a station on a different 1 of the 4 )

Each reciever needs it's own LNB, because each reciever needs to control the
LNB to tell it which of the 4 signals to tune to.

For larger installs, this doesn't scale well.
We'd need one LNB per reciever.

So we install a special non-switchable 'quatro' LNB.
It has 4 outputs, one for each of the 4 signals.
Between them , these carry all of the channels.
These go to a special device called a 'multiswitch'.
It then has outputs ( 12, 20, or more ) to the individual recievers.

Each reciever thinks it's connected to it's own LNB, and sends up the
control signal to select the 1 of 4. The multiswitch ( rather than the
LNB ) interprets the request, and switches the appropriate 1 of 4 available
at it's inputs down to that reciever.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FTV Channels:
4 (104), five (105), Fiver (182), Five US (180), Sky 3 (108).

Ch 4 is now availible on a separate stream which is FTA,
but not availible through the Sky Guide EPG.
See my previous post.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

I don't know what the SAT input does, but the answer to your fundamental
question is 'no'.

The sat input is an input to the masthead amplifier which then combines
it with the UHF, VHF and DAB signals. From what you've said it's
unlikely to be useful.

LNBs can recieve 4 different 'signals' from the sat. at any one time.
The channels are spread out between these 4 signals.
When a sat reciever tunes to a channel, it sends up control signals to
the LNB to tell it which of the 4 'signals' to tune to.

Right I thought it must be something like that. So there is a handshake
between the receiver and the LNB.

The LNB is switchable between the 4 signals.

If you want to use 2 recievers, you need a dual LNB, so each reciever
can tell it's LNB to select the appropriate signal from the 4. ( each
reciever may be tuned to a station on a different 1 of the 4 )

Each reciever needs it's own LNB, because each reciever needs to control
the LNB to tell it which of the 4 signals to tune to.

This is for me one disadvantage of freesat. Instead of a distribution
system of the single terrestrial signal I'll need to have a dedicated
feed from each LNB output to a receiver unless...

For larger installs, this doesn't scale well.
We'd need one LNB per reciever.

So we install a special non-switchable 'quatro' LNB.
It has 4 outputs, one for each of the 4 signals.
Between them , these carry all of the channels.
These go to a special device called a 'multiswitch'.
It then has outputs ( 12, 20, or more ) to the individual recievers.

Each reciever thinks it's connected to it's own LNB, and sends up the
control signal to select the 1 of 4. The multiswitch ( rather than the
LNB ) interprets the request, and switches the appropriate 1 of 4
available at it's inputs down to that reciever.

Rather like a network switch. This is a clever idea but probably beyond
what I need on grounds of cost if nothing else. However I will look into
it. Any recommendations for suppliers?

Ron, thanks very much for your clear and thorough explanation. Have you
thought of putting an entry on Wikipedia? I am sure that there must be
many like me thinking about changing to freesat and needing their
thoughts cleared. I guess this might conflict with your business though.
Perhaps not a good idea.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

So we install a special non-switchable 'quatro' LNB.
It has 4 outputs, one for each of the 4 signals.
Between them , these carry all of the channels.
These go to a special device called a 'multiswitch'.
It then has outputs ( 12, 20, or more ) to the individual recievers.

Hi again

Is this the sort of thing I need? Labgear Enhanced Multi-Switch
Distribution 8-Way from Screwfix (of all places). At £70 that looks
feasible.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49732/...S2OCSTHZOCFFQ#

Presumably if I had a quad LNB and eight receivers (not that I will have
8) the fifth and subsequent ones would be locked out by the switch? Or
would a request for a channel that was already used by another receiver
be connected to a second receiver?

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

Sorry to go on but I just found this site, for anyone else who might be
interested.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellit...iswitches.html

Thanks again Ron

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:31:33 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

Is this the sort of thing I need? Labgear Enhanced Multi-Switch
Distribution 8-Way from Screwfix (of all places). At £70 that looks
feasible.

That's the sort of thing but note if you also want to distribute FM and/or
terrestial TV over the same coax you need a combiner for those signals
before the multiswitch. Earthing bars may be required as well for the ins
and outsl, though in a single dwelling that might not be quite so
important as in a multi dwelling installation.

Presumably if I had a quad LNB and eight receivers

You feed a multi switch from a quattro LNB not a quad. The former provides
four fixed feeds of hi/lo band and horizontal/vertical polarisatation, the
latter four individual and independant feeds of the signal as reqested by
the receiver.

would a request for a channel that was already used by another receiver
be connected to a second receiver?

Yes, any RX can receive any channel irrespective of what any other
reciever is asking for.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

So we install a special non-switchable 'quatro' LNB.
It has 4 outputs, one for each of the 4 signals.
Between them , these carry all of the channels.
These go to a special device called a 'multiswitch'.
It then has outputs ( 12, 20, or more ) to the individual recievers.

Hi again

Is this the sort of thing I need? Labgear Enhanced Multi-Switch
Distribution 8-Way from Screwfix (of all places). At £70 that looks
feasible.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49732/...S2OCSTHZOCFFQ#

Yes, that's the kind of thing.
You get 5-in or 7-in.
The 5-in requires you to combine UHF, FM and DAB ( if required ) beforehand.
The 7-in has seperate UHF, FM and DAB inuts.

I just installed a 7-in 12-out version:
http://www.antiference.tv/isys7-stan...-multiswitches

Presumably if I had a quad LNB and eight receivers (not that I will have
8) the fifth and subsequent ones would be locked out by the switch? Or
would a request for a channel that was already used by another receiver be
connected to a second receiver?

No, with a quattro LNB, each of the 4 sat signals is available on an
internal 'bus' in the multi-switch.
Ecah output is fed from one of the 4 by switching circuitry controlled by
what that input's LNB is requesting.

Each of the 4 sat signals can be fed to as many of the recievers as
necessary.

It's truly like every one of the 12 recievers is connected to it's own LNB.

There's really no down-side.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Typo...

Ecah output is fed from one of the 4 by switching circuitry controlled by
what that OUTPUT's RECIEVER is requesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Satellite receivers? Size of dish

If you use a twin or quad LNB presumably the signal is shared between
them so you need a larger dish. I was planning to use an 85cm one for a
quattro LNB. Will this be OK?

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-12 19:06:28 +0100, Peter Scott said:

If you use a twin or quad LNB presumably the signal is shared between
them so you need a larger dish. I was planning to use an 85cm one for a
quattro LNB. Will this be OK?

Peter Scott

No you don't if you buy a decent multiswitch and quattro LNB. The
loss is made up such that the signal level is approximately equivalent
to a single LNB.

Unlike a TV antenna arrangement where the signal is distributed at the
transmitted frequency through the cable, for satellite reception, the
LNB down converts the signals to an intermediate frequency range of
950-2150MHz (for the majority of TV satellites with footprints over
Europe).

This document from SES-Astra (operators of the Astra fleet) gives some
more explanation of what goes on with a quattro LNB.

http://www.ses-astra.com/resources/p..._LNB_1_0_0.pdf

You

can see in the block diagram that there is amplification at the front
and also before driving the cables. The important point is to use a
good quality branded CT100 cable (and not just cheap crap from B&Q).

Other than that a multiswitch is quite plug and play. The small ones
intended for a house or small multi-occupancy dwelling are quite
inexpensive and don't need much if anything by way of setup. There
are larger professional grade units on the market that have adjusters
and additional features such as DiSEqC

Information on that on this page from the other major European
satellite operator, Eutelsat:

http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/4_5_5.html

Again, this should all be plug and play, but check specs for components
for that point. If you are using a single dish, then this should
not be a problem. I have a multiswitch with two sets of inputs to
handle two dishes. One is a fixed 60cm dish for Astra2, the other is
a larger 85 or 90cm motorised one for everything else. The
arrangement allows any type of receiver to plug into a wall outlet and
for the correct dish to be selected. The standard Sky boxes do not
support the DiSEqC switching required to do this (or at least the type
I have doesn't), whereas the generic DVB-S receiver (an Echostar) does.

In terms of what can be received, I can generally get results from most
satellites from around 40 degrees E or W

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/europe.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/atlantic.html

although it does depend on the footprints used on given transponders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

The standard Sky boxes do not support the DiSEqC switching required
to do this (or at least the type I have doesn't),

AIUI all Sky Digital boxes have had hardware support for DiSEqC, from
Day 1 of their digital platform. Until relatively recently though Sky
haven't made any use of it, so it's remained an invisible feature, not
accessible through the standard UI.

DiSEqC is being used now though in Sky's implementation of the SCR
(single cable routing, aka 'Unicable' or 'One-Liner') system where one
RF (1st IF, really) cable can be passively split to feed up to 5 (?
exact number) tuners. This works by putting intelligence in the LNB or
multiswitch in the form of IF-IF frequency conversion, so the LNB/switch
can 'serve' a required transponder/multiplex on an IF channel dedicated
to a particular tuner.

Full protocol details are in EN 50494.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicable has some background.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-13 01:54:06 +0100, Andy Wade said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

OK.

I wonder how this would work with a generic setup though. The DVB-S
receiver allows selections to be made on per-satellite basis in the
EPG. I was able to set that up so that it would use dish 1 for
anything at 28.2E and dish 2 for everything else. The Skybox doesn't
seem to send anything out and so the multiswitch provides it with dish
1.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:06:28 +0100 someone who may be Peter Scott
wrote this:-

If you use a twin or quad LNB presumably the signal is shared between
them so you need a larger dish. I was planning to use an 85cm one for a
quattro LNB. Will this be OK?

To add to what the others have said, the main criteria for the size
of a satellite dish are which satellites you are considering and
where you are. A setup with a tiny little dish will be able to get
satellites in Southern England but the same setup will not get the
same satellites in Northern Scotland.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Satellite receivers? Size of dish Thanks

To add to what the others have said, the main criteria for the size
of a satellite dish are which satellites you are considering and
where you are. A setup with a tiny little dish will be able to get
satellites in Southern England but the same setup will not get the
same satellites in Northern Scotland.

Many thanks to all. I started utterly ignorant of satellite. What with
all the help from this ng and the referenced documents, I reckon I know
how to do it. It's going to be a quatro on my 85 cm dish feeding a 5 to
8 way multiswitch. I'll keep the terrestrial aerial system separate. I
expect to abandon it in the not too distant future. But to start I'm
just using a single LNB and one receiver. This will allow me to set it
all up and experiment. Maybe I'll motorise eventually.

One of the feeds will be lengthy, about 25 metres, so I might need an
additional inline amplifier I guess. We'll see. Spaun gear seems to be
sold widely. Any opinions on it?

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:58:32 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

One of the feeds will be lengthy, about 25 metres, so I might need an
additional inline amplifier I guess.

Naw, the feeds here are about 20m we have full sig strength and all but
two blocks on quality on a sky digi box signal meter. This is in the north
of England with a zone 1 minidish. We are on the edge of where zone 2
(bigger) minidishes are fitted.

Just make sure you use a good quality CT100 cable, see the wrightsaerials
site for decent info on cables.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No need for amps at 25 m.

For your general interest, look at the 3 sat distribution pdfs he
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles.html

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-13 15:58:32 +0100, Peter Scott said:

[...]

Yes. Spaun is excellent. That's what I have. Works faultlessly.
One thing to decide is whether you are happy to be limited to 8
outlets. They make expandable versions as well if you think you might
want more later. It's not so much needing to have this many
receivers, just that number of outlets.

If you think that you might motorise, check receiver specs. carefully.

A 25m cable run should be OK, but do use proper cable like Belden, not
bell wire from Homebase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT Satellite receivers? Size of dish Thanks
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:30:00 +0100

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:26:33 +0100

Andy why are you double posting? Seen this a few times from you over the
last couple of days. Note different Message-ID: and Date: lines.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:30:00 +0100

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:26:33 +0100

Andy why are you double posting? Seen this a few times from you over the
last couple of days. Note different Message-ID: and Date: lines.

it's his doppelgaenger

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

[SCR]
I wonder how this would work with a generic setup though.

I don't think the question even arises, thanks (if that's the word) to
Sky's proprietary box software. I was just pointing out that they do
make use of DiSEqC for a specific purpose.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-13 23:25:40 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:30:00 +0100

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:26:33 +0100

Andy why are you double posting? Seen this a few times from you over the
last couple of days. Note different Message-ID: and Date: lines.

Good question. I'll check the logs of my server.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 00:21:54 +0100, geoff said:

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:30:00 +0100

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:26:33 +0100

Andy why are you double posting? Seen this a few times from you over the
last couple of days. Note different Message-ID: and Date: lines.

it's his doppelgaenger

I used to have a labrador, but never a doppelgaenger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-14 00:21:54 +0100, geoff said:

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:30:00 +0100

From: Andy Hall
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:26:33 +0100

Andy why are you double posting? Seen this a few times from you over
the
last couple of days. Note different Message-ID: and Date: lines.

it's his doppelgaenger

I used to have a labrador, but never a doppelgaenger.

Takes twice the feeding!

Peter Scott