David

Default PC backups

As the organization of my home life becomes ever more paperless I
really need to sort out my strategy for backing up my PC on a thorough
and regular basis... bit OT I know, but (a) I really value the
opinions of like-minded people in this NG, and (b) the idea I want
feedback on is sort-of diy related...

At the moment I back up onto CD-RW, using Windows XP's built-in backup
software, which bizarrely doesn't let you save directly to CDs - an
extraordinary PITA which means you have to create sequential files on
the HD less than 650Mb, then copy them over manually. So I do this
far less often than I should.

My idea was to set up my old unused PII machine in the back of my
garage with a wireless network card, then do my regular back-ups to
its hard disk. The principle being that if my house burns down or is
burgled, the (detached) garage is unlikely to be similar affected (and
vice versa if the garage is hit). Couldn't replace CDs altogether due
to risk of losing all to a virus, I suppose. Does this sound like a
reasonable/cost-effective solution (I currently have only a hard-wired
network and router).

What do others use/do? Is there a better hardware/software combo that
I should use instead?

To be honest, although I have several Gb of data I need to have backed
up, there's only a few Mb per week which are changed or added, so
really all I need to do is a regular cumulative [1] backup rather than
backing up the whole damned lot at least every week - and for that
purpose CD-RW is probably fine? Except that cumulative backups are
not supported by Windows Backup AFAIK...

Your thoughts very much welcomed!

David

[1] if I understand the terms correctly, cumulative backups record all
changes since the last full, archival backup, which is what I need;
whereas incremental backups just save everything since the previous
incremental
backup (a bit tortuous and useless)
Grunff

David wrote:

What do others use/do? Is there a better hardware/software combo that
I should use instead?

Backing up onto another machine is really the only sensible
option. Who needs to be faffing around with CD-Rs?

Write a short shell script to do the backup for you. You're on
win, so you'll need to use xcopy. Use the task scheduler to run
the script every night. For increased protection, put a raid
array in your backup machine. That way you have redundancy for
all the data backed up from all your other machines.

All of this is much simpler than it sounds. If you haven't done
it before, google and ask questions, but anyone with basic
skills can do it.

--
Grunff

BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I use a second HDD which is permanently installed in the machine, but is
only used for backups of important files. The operating system is on its
own removable disks, so if the machine goes down, I can at least reload the
main bits. But having the second back-up drive is ideal because the machine
detects it and will use it like any other driver it has, so it makes
back-ups directly without having to copy through software then on to
removable media.

The regular back-up is scheduled for the early hours of the morning, and it
works really well. The drive is only 20 Gb capacity, which, after nine
years (yes it's been in three machines) is not even a third used and it also
holds some of my needed software programs which you can't anymore. The
other bits and pieces are all on floppy.

Andy R

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If it's that important then splash out on a tape drive, keep a tape at home
and another at a relative's house. As additional security I'd also consider
a RAID array on the workstation.

Rgds

Andy R

Dave Plowman

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

I use a second HDD which is permanently installed in the machine, but is
only used for backups of important files. The operating system is on
its own removable disks, so if the machine goes down, I can at least
reload the main bits. But having the second back-up drive is ideal
because the machine detects it and will use it like any other driver it
has, so it makes back-ups directly without having to copy through
software then on to removable media.

Same with me. However, if the machine was stolen or devoured by fire...

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Mike Harrison

On 6 Oct 2003 06:14:02 -0700, (David) wrote:

[...]

A while ago I picked up a Sony AIT-1 tape drive - typically 150-200 quid on Ebay (often a lot
cheaper in the US, even after postage)
This will get about 50 or 70 gig on a single tape with the internal compression.
New price of tapes is ludicrous but new and slighty-used ones crop up regularly on Ebay for well
below a tenner each (either from the UK or US).

The ability to back up a whole disc on a single tape makes backing up a lot less hassle, and
therefore much more likely to be donbe regularly. as you can just start it off and then leave it to
it (e.g. overnight). No messing with tape changes or incremental backups.

I use Nova Backup from
www.novastor.com, which is a nice simple 'just plain works' application
without all the unneccessary rubish that's bundled with many other backup packages.

You also need to consider all the possible risks to your data - crashed discs are often the first
thing that springs to mind, but other risks are often more likely - accidental deletion/overwriting,
and theft/fire risk to equipment. A tape (or hard disk) regularly stored offsite protects against
most eventualities.

Clive Summerfield

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I use a 2-stage process. Step 1 is an automatic backup over the network to a
dedicated hard disk in one of the other PCs. The second step is a
once-per-week backup from the hard disk to DVD. With the falling price of
DVD writers and the capacity of the media, I can't see the point in messing
around with either multiple CDs or unreliable tape drives.

If you're backing up over the network, you might want to consider a wired
connection rather than wireless. The realistic bandwidth with 802.11b is
less than stunning and the new 802.11g, although having a quoted max
bandwidth of 54mb, hasn't in my experience lived up to the hype. And while
you may think that you don't need the bandwidth, just wait until the first
time you're sat there grinding you teeth while a multi-megabyte file
restores. Wired network would work out cheaper as well.

hth
Clive

Lawrence

I agree with the final post about the lack of speed on wireless,
100Mhz Ethernet is usefull. I upgraded mt stuff as I found myself
regularly moving a few hundred Megabytes between a laptop and desktop
and 10Mhz was slow.

Also watch out for damp and other environmental issues in a garage.

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:03:56 GMT, "Clive Summerfield"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Rob Whitton

At the moment I back up onto CD-RW, using Windows XP's built-in backup
software, which bizarrely doesn't let you save directly to CDs - an
extraordinary PITA which means you have to create sequential files on
the HD less than 650Mb, then copy them over manually. So I do this
far less often than I should.

Use XP's backup. Then use WinZip on the output from XP's backup (which in my
case reduces the size by about 50%). Then use WinZip again to split the ZIP
file into 650MB chucks (this is one of the standard options).

Rob

PoP

wrote:

As the organization of my home life becomes ever more paperless I
really need to sort out my strategy for backing up my PC on a thorough
and regular basis... bit OT I know, but (a) I really value the
opinions of like-minded people in this NG, and (b) the idea I want
feedback on is sort-of diy related...

I've tried various methods over several years, and by far and away the
best method (which I still use today) is to add a 2nd hard disk drive
to the PC and then use something like Norton Ghost (DOS) or Acronis
TrueImage to drop an exact copy of the primary disk onto it. Then if
your primary drive goes tits up you can replace it and restore your
system in under 30 minutes (I know, I've done that).

The 2nd hard disk should be at least half the size of the first, so if
you have a 20Gb drive as your primary drive the 2nd drive should be
10Gb or larger. Make it equal in size if you can.

You then partition and format the new drive as one large disk using
FAT32. Then use TrueImage (runs under Windows) to create a backup:

http://www.acronis.com

Inexpensive, and it can store to writeable CDs as well if you want the
security of having an offline backup.

I would suggest you throw away the idea of using Windows integrated
backup or similar software, at best they only store the data - and if
you lose the hard disk you still have to do a full Windows
installation before restoring your data.

TrueImage allows you to restore single files as you need.

PoP

Alan

You need a "differential" backup then.

Look at some form of "off-line" media such as tape or DVD-R as both
machine's discs could be taken out by a powercut/lightning strike etc - It's
happened to me.
I use DDS-3 DAT tapes to backup data, which I find as long as I don't keep
re-using old tapes more than about 10 times is fine. Each tape holds 12GB
native / 24 GB compressed (realisticly about 16-18GB each). Plenty of backup
applications out there, or windows own is OK.
DVD is very cheap now and has loads of other uses also, and you can get
4.7GB per disc costing about 80p, or about £3 for a DVD-RW disc. You can get
a writer for under £100 at ebuyer.com.

Alan.

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Christian McArdle

I've tried various methods over several years, and by far and away the
best method (which I still use today) is to add a 2nd hard disk drive
to the PC and then use something like Norton Ghost (DOS) or Acronis
TrueImage to drop an exact copy of the primary disk onto it.

This only covers the situation when you have a disk failure or similar. It
does not help in the event of total loss, such as fire or theft.

Christian.

AlanG

wrote:

[...]

A second machine or a second HD would be advisable.
Try
http://www.webattack.com/get/taskzip.html
To go with it.

--
Alan G
"The corporate life [of society] must be
PoP

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:28:57 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

This only covers the situation when you have a disk failure or similar. It
does not help in the event of total loss, such as fire or theft.

If you read my complete post you will notice that I did advise that
you can send the backup to writeable CDs.....it's a bit slower and you
have to change the CD when requested, but it works fine.

Possibly the better option with that approach might be to write the
backup to the hard disk in 650Mb chunks - this means the files are
created automatically without having to change CDs, and then once the
backup is finished you can store elsewhere.

Don't forget that some online services allow you to store your backups
on their servers, and will provide a CD copy on request if you happen
to lose everything. When I looked at that option a while back it was
relatively expensive so I didn't go down that route, but it is an
option if your PC is mission critical to a business.

PoP

PoP

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:11:18 +0100, Mike Harrison
wrote:

A second HD is very quick and convenient but it does not protect against some scumbag running off
with your PC, or a lightning strike/PSU fault blowing up both HDs.

From my original post:

Inexpensive, and it can store to writeable CDs as well if you want the
security of having an offline backup.

I fully concur that it is not in itself a "perfect" solution in
writing to a 2nd disk - which is why you should write to CD and store
offline, at least some of the time.

The OP advised that he used XP backup (if memory serves me right). The
"problem" with any backup program of that nature is that it will do a
fine job of backing up the data held on the system - but it will not
(usually) perform a backup which you can roll back onto the hard disk
to instantly restore your system. Instead you have several hours of
installing Windows onto the hard disk, then the application programs,
some configuration to carry out - and finally the restore of the data
from the backup - only to discover that you've overlooked backing up
an important data file or whatever.

With utilities such as Acronis TrueImage and Norton Ghost the entire
disk is dumped to backup sets. Lose the hard disk - no problem,
perform a restore to put your disk back to the exact way it was before
the last backup. No messing around, and I know from experience that it
then takes just half an hour to restore a fairly large hard disk to
operational status - with no messing around with configuration etc.

YMMV - but farting around with backup utilities which don't copy the
entire hard disk sector by sector is something I did a very long time
ago, at a time when I would occasionally lose the hard disk and then
spend days trying to get back to an operational state.

PoP

SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Mike Harrison
writes
The ability to back up a whole disc on a single tape makes backing up a
lot less hassle, and
therefore much more likely to be donbe regularly. as you can just
start it off and then leave it to
it (e.g. overnight). No messing with tape changes or incremental backups.

You'll get as many opinions as there are readers on this (probably), but
the key thing about using tape and proper backup software are these:

1. The ability to take data off-site - if the house burns you have at
least got your data.

3. The ability to restore everything (disaster recovery) simply and
easily. Boot from the DR disks, restore off tape, reboot, done.

4. The ability to easily keep multiple versions of your data. This is
crucial for recovering from viruses - roll back to the latest virus-free
version as your recovery point.

5. Speed: tapes are up to 3x faster than typical disks.

6. Robustness: tape isn't perfect, but in the worst case, you've a
better chance of getting data back off tape than from any other computer
medium. Hard disks which fail mechanically are usually scrap metal (but
head actuator magnets are cool!), and CD-R and CD-RW are notorious.
Magneto-optical disk is probably the longest-lived format, but it's
uncommon and very expensive.

7. Lowest cost/GB for the tapes over the alternatives (but the drives
cost more).

I use Nova Backup from www.novastor.com, which is a nice simple 'just
plain works' application

I've used umpteen backup products from all the major vendors - Novastor
is one of my personal favourites for just those reasons. It's a much
tougher choice in a commercial environment though.

HTH...

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
dg

I backup weekly to an external HD - 120 gb in a Belkin housing - a complete
partition image. This should allow me to simply plug this into a different
computer if need be.

I also back up "My Documents" and other critical system files to 2
DVD-RW's - the same data to 2 different disks.

I also back up live documents to CD-RW or DVD RW or may store a copy of the
file on an email server temporarary.

It is important to make at least 2 copies of the data, and store these in
different locations - together with copies of emergency boot disk.

I use PowerQuest drive image, but am trialing Vertitas Backup and the Norton
product.

Archival files and photos I am transfering to DVD, after reading some
concerns on the life of CD-R media

dg

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Mindwipe

although i simply use nero and cdr's and back up every week(i download
often)
Jeff :-)

N. Thornton

Backing up:

Beware of virus problems. A 2nd HDD in your machine gives zero
protection to your data if a virus gets it. Many viri can be removed,
some can't.

When you back up off the machine, again if you get a virus then
backup, and thats the only backup you have, youre stuffed. So always
keep 2 generations of backups, with the older one being say 2 weeks
old, not 2 days. That gives you enough time to spot any heavy handed
viri, and still have good clean data.

Regards, NT
PoP

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:36:13 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig
wrote:

5. Speed: tapes are up to 3x faster than typical disks.

That depends entirely upon the tape drive. Some drives could be 10x
slower than disk.

SCSI tapes are likely to be faster than other methods, but just
getting any old tape drive does not equate to "faster".

PoP

SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Huge
writes
SpamTrapSeeSig writes:

[21 lines snipped]

5. Speed: tapes are up to 3x faster than typical disks.

Only if you mean CD/DVD. Tapes are orders of magnitude slower
than hard disk drives.

Sorry, but they're not. *Old* tape drives may be slower than modern
disks, but current tape drives are considerably faster than current
disks, comparing sustained transfer rates for both.

Disk manufacturers use RAM buffering (cacheing) to boost perceived
performance, but sustained transfers, such as backups and restores,
really test disk data channels fully. In sustained transfers, caches
have almost no effect on overall performance.

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT'86 110CSW TD'88 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , PoP
writes
wrote:

5. Speed: tapes are up to 3x faster than typical disks.

That depends entirely upon the tape drive. Some drives could be 10x
slower than disk.

SCSI tapes are likely to be faster than other methods, but just
getting any old tape drive does not equate to "faster".

I don't remember saying that it did. See my other post regarding disk v.
tape performance.

Regards,

Simonm.

--
simonm|at|muircom|dot|demon|.|c|oh|dot|u|kay
SIMON MUIR, UK INDEPENDENCE PARTY, BRISTOL www.ukip.org
EUROPEANS AGAINST THE EU www.members.aol.com/eurofaq
GT250A'76 R80/RT'86 110CSW TD'88 www.kc3ltd.co.uk/profile/eurofollie/

Yet another opinion here ;-) Me, I use a "real" backup programme, Dantz's
Retrospect (www.dantz.com). What makes it Real IMNSHO is that it keeps its
own catalogues of which files have and haven't been backed up; all of the
toy programs which use the PC file system's "archive" bit will fail to
include files you've changed if you use more than one such program, or
if you back up to multiple places. Retrospect allows you to run, say, 3
sets of backup media, to which it will add all relevant files you've worked
on or created since the last time you used *that* *particular* backup set.
And you can create multiple backup destinations: within the machine - e.g. on
another hard drive or partition in the same machine; on removeable media
- tape, CD-R or -RW, DVD-R/RW; and on other machines (both as normal
network shares, and through the pricier Retrospect client-server
arrangments). Its built-in system-recovery stuff has worked for me on
the one occasion it really needed to; and single-file restores are easy too.

Storage is cheap enough these days (and uk.d-i-y types are almost bound
to have an older PC up in the loft they couldn't bear to throw away!) that
working hard on compression and proprietary formats is probably an error.
(Accepting that Retrospect is a proprietary format, mind, though it does
have a handy "duplicate" subfunction; though something like FileSync will
do that and cost less). You have to think through what's going to be most
of a pain for you to reconstruct. If you have a pretty standard OS install
with just a few add-on apps, the claim that backing up your individually
created data is Enough is relatively plausible: it makes retrieving
accidentally deleted precious stuff easy enough, and leaves you facing an
OS+apps reinstall in the worst case. If you've rather a lot of apps,
patches, updated drivers, firewall customisations, etc. etc. applied to
your OS, and you value your time and sanity, backing up the whole shebang
and TESTING THE EMERGENCY RESTORE PROCEDURE WHEN YOU'RE NOT STRESSED OUT
is a Good Idea.

Whichever solution you go for, it'll be a lot easier if you've created
a number of distinct partitions for different kinds of Stuff than if it's
all lumped under "C:\". F'r instance, on the Winblows systems I run I
have an OS partition (W: or X, a Data partition (D with a subdirectory
for my hand-created most-precious data and one for my apps, a "Fragephera"
partition on F: for temporary files, web cache, and all that junk, a
swap partition (Swapee on E, and one or two "big" partitions for pictures
and music. Oh, for the NT-based systems there's a small FAT partition
which holds BOOT.INI, NTDETECT, and that other initial-boot junk, and
some system recovery tools. Having this stuff in these different
containers makes it easier to create backup strategies for different needs,
and different file systems for different tasks (e.g.: the app and OS
partitions are NTFS, so that any malicious software running under my
"normal, unprivileged" user wouldn't be able to infect most of my
binaries; the audio/picture partitions are tuned to storing a small
number of large files (big clusters), while Fragephera is done with
tiny clusters).

Hope that helps some (and look - no advertising, even peripherally, well
until this point anyway, for the excellent DDS and AIT tape drives made at
the HP site in Bristol ;-) - Stefek

Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:14:02 UTC, (David)
wrote:

Your thoughts very much welcomed!

Given that you need to back up only a few GB (same as me) this is what I
do:

1) Weekly backup of the whole lot to a tape. TR-4 Travan tape drive in
my case, 8GB compressed, 4GB uncompressed (i.e. 4GB no matter what). I
bought a spare drive in case nasty things happen all at the same
time...cheap enough as a used, but tested (!) drive. I picked up brand
new tapes for under a fiver each on eBay. I start these backups every
Friday night when I go to bed, and they take about 3 hours.

2) Daily differential backup to hard disk on another machine.
Differential, as in anything that's changed or added that isn't on the
tape already. An incremental (as in 'all files not so far backed up
anywhere' takes less space but is more of a pain for a complete restore.
These differentials get backed up to the tape every week too, since they
get overwritten (on the disk) on a weekly basis (one backup for each
day). These are done automatically in the middle of the night.

3) There is a tape cycle. For the sake of simplicity, let's say there
are six tapes. Weekly, I use tape 0 in first week, 1 in second week,
then tape 2, then 3. Then 0,1,2,4, then 0,1,2,5, then 0,1,2,6. Then
start again. Add more tapes if you want.

4) When I finally use tape 6, I also do a backup to CD-R and squirrel
that away for ever. In fact, I do two copies and take one to work.
Intermediate tapes get taken too.

5) The above cycle means that the tapes contain enough to return me to
the state I was in at any time over the past month. Say a file is
corrupted; I select the tape written the week before the corruption
occurred (of course, I won't necessarily KNOW when, but that's life).
Either the file will be on that weekly backup tape, or it changed in the
following week, in which case it's in the differential backup file for
the appropriate day, on the next tape. For the previous three months, I
have a monthly tape that probably has the file.

6) If I don't notice a file has gone for four months, I may still have a
copy on the CD-R. Otherwise, too bad. It's always a trade-off with
backups.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:21:42 UTC, PoP
wrote:

I've tried various methods over several years, and by far and away the
best method (which I still use today) is to add a 2nd hard disk drive
to the PC and then use something like Norton Ghost (DOS) or Acronis
TrueImage to drop an exact copy of the primary disk onto it. Then if
your primary drive goes tits up you can replace it and restore your
system in under 30 minutes (I know, I've done that).

What do you do about power surges/burglars that take out both disks?

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:36:13 UTC, SpamTrapSeeSig
wrote:

5. Speed: tapes are up to 3x faster than typical disks.

Even if they were (and they're not)....how do you get this extra speed.
After all, you're copying from...er....a disk!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Bob Eager

wrote:

A second HD is very quick and convenient but it does not protect against some scumbag running off
with your PC, or a lightning strike/PSU fault blowing up both HDs.

From my original post:

Inexpensive, and it can store to writeable CDs as well if you want the
security of having an offline backup.

Yes, but your original post appeared to throw that in as an
afterthought...

I fully concur that it is not in itself a "perfect" solution in
writing to a 2nd disk - which is why you should write to CD and store
offline, at least some of the time.

Often.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Ian Clowes

David wrote:

What do others use/do? Is there a better hardware/software combo that
I should use instead?

Hi

Probably a little more esoteric than most home installs but...

Linux server running Samba and acting as roaming profile store.

Couple of machines using the roaming profiles. Allows us to move from
machine to machine and see the same shortcuts, etc. I also use disk
caddies, so have 3 'personalities' for my main machine depending on
whether I'm using Win95, Win98, various development tools, etc.

These machines effectively hold OS and local apps only. I Ghost these
after app install but before any usage, so when they go a bit wierd I
just resplat the primary disk with the Ghost image.

Samba 'home' drive mapped so all Word, etc. files are stored on Linux box.

Shell scripts every night to gzip all files changed in last 7 days on
home drives to daily backup file. Scripts also housekeep old backup
files to bit bucket (30 day retention IIRC). 7 days so if the machine
is off for a couple of nights things still get picked up somethime.

Periodic backup of gzip files to CD-ROM. Occasional full backup too.
Not as often as I should!

HTH
IanC

IMM

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

What is the price a storage capacity of a stand alone with USB cxn DVD
writer?

---

Clive Summerfield

"IMM" wrote in message

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message

I use a 2-stage process. Step 1 is an automatic backup over the network

dedicated hard disk in one of the other PCs. The second step is a
once-per-week backup from the hard disk to DVD. With the falling price

of
DVD writers and the capacity of the media, I can't see the point in

messing
around with either multiple CDs or unreliable tape drives.

What is the price a storage capacity of a stand alone with USB cxn DVD
writer?

The Sony DRX-510UL External DVD/-RW drive comes in at about £250 inc vat.
Requires either firewire or USB 2.0 for connecting to your pc. 32x CD read,
24x CD write, 16x CD rewrite, 12x DVD read, 4x DVD write, 2x DVD-RW rewrite,
4x DVD+RW rewrite. Capacity is 4.7Gb.

hth
Clive

raden

In message , David
writes
As the organization of my home life becomes ever more paperless I
really need to sort out my strategy for backing up my PC on a thorough
and regular basis... bit OT I know, but (a) I really value the
opinions of like-minded people in this NG, and (b) the idea I want
feedback on is sort-of diy related...

DVD writer?

Or ... a removable Hard disk
--
raden
raden

In message , Clive
Summerfield writes

"David" wrote in message
. com...
As the organization of my home life becomes ever more paperless I
really need to sort out my strategy for backing up my PC on a thorough
and regular basis... bit OT I know, but (a) I really value the
opinions of like-minded people in this NG, and (b) the idea I want
feedback on is sort-of diy related...

If you're backing up over the network, you might want to consider a wired
connection rather than wireless. The realistic bandwidth with 802.11b is
less than stunning and the new 802.11g, although having a quoted max
bandwidth of 54mb, hasn't in my experience lived up to the hype. And while
you may think that you don't need the bandwidth, just wait until the first
time you're sat there grinding you teeth while a multi-megabyte file
restores. Wired network would work out cheaper as well.

If the OP's so concerned about backing up, one thing which I've just
though of is the problem of viruses, which you often don't know you have
until it's too late. Thus your last back up might be infected, wheras if
you have e.g. discrete weekly backups, the chances of you being able to
restore an uninfected version are better.

TBH, you only really want to back up your data files, and re-install
programs (which you can also copy onto a DVD)

--
raden
raden

In message , PoP
writes

The 2nd hard disk should be at least half the size of the first, so if
you have a 20Gb drive as your primary drive the 2nd drive should be
10Gb or larger. Make it equal in size if you can.

I haven't seen anything less than a 40Gig drive for sale for a while
now.

--
raden

PoP

On 6 Oct 2003 21:13:34 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

What do you do about power surges/burglars that take out both disks?

I have 5 PCs running here in different parts of the house. Some of
those are on independent UPS's - so surges aren't likely to ruin my
day.

I routinely copy the backup sets across the network so that the
backups are on multiple independent drives in different PCs.

Important data is backed off to CDRW.

PoP

PoP

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 23:14:46 +0100, raden wrote:

I haven't seen anything less than a 40Gig drive for sale for a while
now.

I omitted to say that - but it is possible a 2nd hard drive could be
acquired from ebay or similar.

PoP