Mike Harrison

Default PC backups

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:21:42 +0100, PoP wrote:

On 6 Oct 2003 06:14:02 -0700, (David)
wrote:

As the organization of my home life becomes ever more paperless I
really need to sort out my strategy for backing up my PC on a thorough
and regular basis... bit OT I know, but (a) I really value the
opinions of like-minded people in this NG, and (b) the idea I want
feedback on is sort-of diy related...

I've tried various methods over several years, and by far and away the
best method (which I still use today) is to add a 2nd hard disk drive
to the PC and then use something like Norton Ghost (DOS) or Acronis
TrueImage to drop an exact copy of the primary disk onto it. Then if
your primary drive goes tits up you can replace it and restore your
system in under 30 minutes (I know, I've done that).

A second HD is very quick and convenient but it does not protect against some scumbag running off
with your PC, or a lightning strike/PSU fault blowing up both HDs.