Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I turn this accursed hob on?

Dear All

We've just moved house and are now the proud owners of a Smeg hob and
oven. Problem is, we have no idea how to work them. Can anyone help?
I would post a pic, but the camera is in one of 17 boxes... Today
I'll deal with the hob. I can find no model number.

The "Ceran" glass-ceramic electric hob is plain black glass with four
rings and sensor controls for these rings on the RH side. Each control
has a pic of where the ring is situated on the hob and a plus and
minus sign. At the front there are two further sensor controls - a
circle with an I in it and a circle with a key in it.

I have tried every single $%£&&^% comination of these **&&^%$£ keys.
They beep, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have a similar hob or any idea how to turn the thing on?

I'd like to avoid calling the guy we bought the place off if possible

Yours with a growing mound of takeaway boxes.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Dear All
The "Ceran" glass-ceramic electric hob is plain black glass with four
rings and sensor controls for these rings on the RH side. Each control
has a pic of where the ring is situated on the hob and a plus and
minus sign. At the front there are two further sensor controls - a
circle with an I in it and a circle with a key in it.

I have tried every single $%£&&^% comination of these **&&^%$£ keys.
They beep, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have a similar hob or any idea how to turn the thing on?

I'd like to avoid calling the guy we bought the place off if possible

Yours with a growing mound of takeaway boxes.

David

They will probably all have the same controls - going on to the smeg site
you can download instruction manuals from there - try one of these touch
control ones http://www.smeguk.com/Catalogue/Hobs.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
David wrote:
The "Ceran" glass-ceramic electric hob is plain black glass with four
rings and sensor controls for these rings on the RH side. Each control
has a pic of where the ring is situated on the hob and a plus and
minus sign. At the front there are two further sensor controls - a
circle with an I in it and a circle with a key in it.

I have tried every single $%£&&^% comination of these **&&^%$£ keys.
They beep, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have a similar hob or any idea how to turn the thing on?

I'd guess you have to place a suitable pan on the 'ring' before it will
heat even after switching on. And your pans may not be suitable...

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dear Both

Thanks for the advice. Have downloaded and printed the hob
instructions andwill be ready with my pan. I'll try it when I get
home. Just in case, anyone else got anything to add?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Friend with ultra swish apartment.the hob can't be turned on by any
switch.Its a remote control..you could starve for want of 3 triple A's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Dear Both

Thanks for the advice. Have downloaded and printed the hob
instructions andwill be ready with my pan. I'll try it when I get
home. Just in case, anyone else got anything to add?

Do you know if its a halogen one or an induction one? The former will
work with any pan, the latter requires appropriate cookware.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Friend with ultra swish apartment.the hob can't be turned on by any
switch.Its a remote control..you could starve for want of 3 triple A's

That's utterly, utterly barking!

When cooking, do you want to pick up something to change the heat, or turn
the knob next to the pan you're busy playing with?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When cooking, do you want to pick up something to change the heat, or turn
the knob next to the pan you're busy playing with?

I must say, I had to read the second part of that sentence twice and
was relieved when I understood correctly ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whisper "Hob, I love you"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 May 2008 02:37:26 -0700 (PDT), David
wrote:

Dear All

We've just moved house and are now the proud owners of a Smeg hob and
oven. Problem is, we have no idea how to work them. Can anyone help?
I would post a pic, but the camera is in one of 17 boxes... Today
I'll deal with the hob. I can find no model number.

The "Ceran" glass-ceramic electric hob is plain black glass with four
rings and sensor controls for these rings on the RH side. Each control
has a pic of where the ring is situated on the hob and a plus and
minus sign. At the front there are two further sensor controls - a
circle with an I in it and a circle with a key in it.

I'm just guessing that one of the controls (perhaps the one with a
key?) may be a childproof lock. Try 'pressing' it continuously for a
few seconds - the whole thing might then spring into life.

My Bosch ceramic hob is a bit like that.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
David wrote:
Dear Both

Thanks for the advice. Have downloaded and printed the hob
instructions andwill be ready with my pan. I'll try it when I get
home. Just in case, anyone else got anything to add?

Do you know if its a halogen one or an induction one? The former will work
with any pan, the latter requires appropriate cookware.

I thought that might be the answer as well.

The other option is (as the OP says that that he cannot work the oven as
well) is that the clocks are not set. You do not need the correct time just
a setting after powering up to make the things work.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 8, 10:59*pm, "ARWadworth"
wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

news:xKGdnU9ysJman77VnZ2dnUVZ8vqdnZ2d@plusnet... David wrote:
Dear Both

Thanks for the advice. *Have downloaded and printed the hob
instructions andwill be ready with my pan. I'll try it when I get
home. *Just in case, anyone else got anything to add?

Do you know if its a halogen one or an induction one? The former will work
with any pan, the latter requires appropriate cookware.

I thought that might be the answer as well.

The other option is (as the OP says that that he cannot work the oven as
well) is that the clocks are not set. You do not need the correct time just
a setting after powering up to make the things work.

That's the clincher, you need to power it up first ;-)

MBQ

cant turn off tap S[_2_] Home Repair 7 September 19th 07 01:37 PM
Turn on after 3 seconds turn off donskister Electronics Repair 12 December 12th 06 11:58 AM
Turn on after 3 seconds turn off donskister Electronics Repair 0 December 2nd 06 08:48 AM
GE 32" won't turn on. heard 3 beeps then clicking as if trying to turn on Pat Electronics Repair 1 September 8th 06 11:28 PM
Sony Model KV-32XBR48 slow turn on and flashing video for short period at turn on Ron Novini Electronics Repair 4 September 20th 03 12:10 AM