Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New CH System losing pressure

Hello all

We have recently had a new Combi Boiler installed and it is losinig
pressure.

The system has been installed for about a month now and the engineer had to
come out to repressurise the system a couple of weeks after the install
because the system was losing pressure, however the pressure has now dropped
again and is currently at approx. 0.5 Bar when cold.

My question is this. Can worn out fiber washes on our house taps (between
taps and piping) cause this drop in pressure?

In particular I have noticed one hot water tap where if I feel around the
fixings below the tap there is a small amount of water present.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Cowans wrote:
Hello all

We have recently had a new Combi Boiler installed and it is losinig
pressure.

The system has been installed for about a month now and the engineer
had to come out to repressurise the system a couple of weeks after
the install because the system was losing pressure, however the
pressure has now dropped again and is currently at approx. 0.5 Bar
when cold.
My question is this. Can worn out fiber washes on our house taps
(between taps and piping) cause this drop in pressure?

In particular I have noticed one hot water tap where if I feel around
the fixings below the tap there is a small amount of water present.

Any help is appreciated.

No - the pressure loss is in the sealed part of the system. You maybe have
a pinhole leak or seep somewhere, or there's a small loss from
overheat/overpressure releases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 May 2008 21:05:39 +0100, Kevin Cowans wrote:

My question is this. Can worn out fiber washes on our house taps
(between taps and piping) cause this drop in pressure?

No the drop is on the primary (radiator) side, not your domestic hot water
supply. Have a look at the wiki article
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?... sure_dropping

--
John Stumbles

Blamestorming
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed
or a project failed, and who was responsible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Kevin Cowans
writes
Hello all

We have recently had a new Combi Boiler installed and it is losinig
pressure.

The system has been installed for about a month now and the engineer had to
come out to repressurise the system a couple of weeks after the install
because the system was losing pressure, however the pressure has now dropped
again and is currently at approx. 0.5 Bar when cold.

My question is this. Can worn out fiber washes on our house taps (between
taps and piping) cause this drop in pressure?

The CH system is sealed and separate from the hot water system

Your pressure relief valve might not be seated correctly, but it sounds
more like you have a leak - you (or your fitter) have to find it, the
sooner the better as you are constantly introducing scale into, and
diluting the inhibitor in (I presume you have some in) your system

If you watch and learn from the fitter (not engineer) when he comes to
re-pressurise the system, you'll be able to do it yourself next time,
won't you
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Kevin Cowans wrote:
[...]

?? WTF

overpressure releases.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
Kevin Cowans wrote:
Hello all

We have recently had a new Combi Boiler installed and it is losinig
pressure.

No - the pressure loss is in the sealed part of the system. You
maybe have a pinhole leak or seep somewhere, or there's a small loss
from overheat

?? WTF

overpressure releases.

Yeah, on reflection that was slightly redundant - the pressure relief valve
isn't directly activated by heat, although excess heat might cause the
excess pressure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you watch and learn from the fitter (not engineer) when he comes to
re-pressurise the system, you'll be able to do it yourself next time,
won't you

How do you know the OPs fitter doesn't have an engineering degree?
(I assume you object to non graduates styling themselves as "Enginerer")

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

If you watch and learn from the fitter (not engineer) when he comes to
re-pressurise the system, you'll be able to do it yourself next time,
won't you

How do you know the OPs fitter doesn't have an engineering degree?
(I assume you object to non graduates styling themselves as "Enginerer")

because he's a ****ing CH fitter, that's why

I don't give a toss whether he has an engineering degree or not, he is
not allowed to "engineer" anything, he can only replace parts. To
"engineer" implies modification

OK ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Cowans wrote:
Hello all

We have recently had a new Combi Boiler installed and it is losinig
pressure.

The system has been installed for about a month now and the engineer had to
come out to repressurise the system a couple of weeks after the install
because the system was losing pressure, however the pressure has now dropped
again and is currently at approx. 0.5 Bar when cold.

My question is this. Can worn out fiber washes on our house taps (between
taps and piping) cause this drop in pressure?

In particular I have noticed one hot water tap where if I feel around the
fixings below the tap there is a small amount of water present.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Mine did this for a year, gradually getting less and less as the thing
stablised.

Now I re-presurise once a year and thats that.

There is always SOME water reacting with bits of old flux and metal to
produce gas.

Keep bleeding and repressurising it yourself every so often,after
informing said plumber taht this is what you are up to.

As it MAY be an actual teeny leak. Even those self heal over time though
with hardish water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello all

Thanks for all the replies.

I will continue to repressurise the system myself as needed and see how it
goes.

Bye for now

Kevin

Kevin Cowans wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Cowans wrote:
Hello all

Thanks for all the replies.

I will continue to repressurise the system myself as needed and see how it
goes.

Bye for now

Kevin

I'm puzzled by this, and all the replies.

Surely as the guy has fitted this new system he's responsible for doing
it right - so if it leaks, that's proof he hasn't done it right, and he
needs to fix it?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ writes:

I'm puzzled by this, and all the replies.

Surely as the guy has fitted this new system he's responsible for doing
it right - so if it leaks, that's proof he hasn't done it right, and he
needs to fix it?

He only fitted a new boiler, and I assume converted the
system to sealed at the same time? Could well be that
part of the existing system leaks, and has done for ages.
Mind you, one would think that losing a litre or so a week
would be noticable somewhere.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 May 2008 00:09:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Andy Champ writes:

I'm puzzled by this, and all the replies.

Surely as the guy has fitted this new system he's responsible for doing
it right - so if it leaks, that's proof he hasn't done it right, and he
needs to fix it?

He only fitted a new boiler, and I assume converted the system to sealed
at the same time? Could well be that part of the existing system leaks,
and has done for ages. Mind you, one would think that losing a litre or
so a week would be noticable somewhere.

Topping up on once a week will be really hard to find the damp patch, IME.
After checking things over and looking closely at all the rad valve
glands, if all else fails, add leak sealer (eg. Fernox LS-I) to improve
things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ writes:

I'm puzzled by this, and all the replies.

Surely as the guy has fitted this new system he's responsible for doing
it right - so if it leaks, that's proof he hasn't done it right, and he
needs to fix it?

He only fitted a new boiler, and I assume converted the system to sealed
at the same time? Could well be that part of the existing system leaks,
and has done for ages. Mind you, one would think that losing a litre or
so a week would be noticable somewhere.

Topping up on once a week will be really hard to find the damp patch, IME.
After checking things over and looking closely at all the rad valve
glands, if all else fails, add leak sealer (eg. Fernox LS-I) to improve
things.

In my experience it will always be on pipework under a newly installed
laminate floor. My mate had to do and area of his laminate floor twice
because of this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ writes:

I'm puzzled by this, and all the replies.

Surely as the guy has fitted this new system he's responsible for doing
it right - so if it leaks, that's proof he hasn't done it right, and he
needs to fix it?

He only fitted a new boiler, and I assume converted the system to sealed
at the same time? Could well be that part of the existing system leaks,
and has done for ages. Mind you, one would think that losing a litre or
so a week would be noticable somewhere.

Topping up on once a week will be really hard to find the damp patch, IME.
After checking things over and looking closely at all the rad valve
glands, if all else fails, add leak sealer (eg. Fernox LS-I) to improve
things.

I found one by waiting until heating was off for the summer
(i.e. now), and then over-filling system whilst cold to get it
up to the normal hot running pressure. This will cause maximum
rate of leak, and with the system being cold, it doesn't get
to dry up before being noticed.

Mine was a failed O-ring in a radiator blanking plug. With
the radiator cold, water actually managed to run down to the
floor where it was noticable.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello all

I thought I should clarify something here as some of the replies seem to
point to the posters thinking I have installed the boiler myself.

If you read my original post you will see the following line is the first
line:

'We have recently had a new Combi Boiler installed and it is losinig
pressure'

We had the system installed through the WarmFront Grant which involved
replacing the boiler, all piping in the airing cupboard and removing the
tanks in the airing cupboard and in the loft so it was basically a new
central heating system that was installed.

I hope this will clear up any confusion.

Kevin

"Andrew Gabriel" andrew@a17 wrote in message

Andy Champ writes:

[...]

Sealed system boiler losing pressure Lobster UK diy 7 September 11th 06 09:21 AM
Central Heating System Losing Pressure trickydicky UK diy 6 June 23rd 06 02:34 PM
losing water pressure mg Home Repair 5 July 6th 05 01:44 PM
Central heating - losing pressure no_heat UK diy 10 December 9th 04 10:26 PM
CH System losing pressure Angela UK diy 3 October 27th 03 10:31 PM