Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air Staple guns

Still looking to speed up feather edge board fixing. Finished off a play
house for my granddaughter today using a Tackwisw mains nailer with 25mm
staples to fix the F/E boards.

Two or three staples per board gave a surprisingly good fix.

My existing compressor will run a suitable staple gun so this looks like a
possible way ahead. Decided to stay with the screws for decking, so this
would be simply for F/E boards.

Any problems I haven't thought of?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Still looking to speed up feather edge board fixing. Finished off a play
house for my granddaughter today using a Tackwisw mains nailer with 25mm
staples to fix the F/E boards.

Two or three staples per board gave a surprisingly good fix.

My existing compressor will run a suitable staple gun so this looks like a
possible way ahead. Decided to stay with the screws for decking, so this
would be simply for F/E boards.

Any problems I haven't thought of?

I've never had a problem with air driven staplers, and they're lightning
fast compared to the electric equivalent. Those that drive pins have
given me grief though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:44:38 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Still looking to speed up feather edge board fixing. Finished off a play
house for my granddaughter today using a Tackwisw mains nailer with 25mm
staples to fix the F/E boards.

Two or three staples per board gave a surprisingly good fix.

My existing compressor will run a suitable staple gun so this looks like a
possible way ahead. Decided to stay with the screws for decking, so this
would be simply for F/E boards.

Any problems I haven't thought of?

==================================
Have you looked at T-nails (Screwfix catalogue)? The head on these is much
bigger than the stem, and you might be able to get some to fit your
existing gear. The T head would probably solve the potential splitting of
feather edge boards.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
Still looking to speed up feather edge board fixing. Finished off a play
house for my granddaughter today using a Tackwisw mains nailer with 25mm
staples to fix the F/E boards.

Two or three staples per board gave a surprisingly good fix.

My existing compressor will run a suitable staple gun so this looks like a
possible way ahead. Decided to stay with the screws for decking, so this
would be simply for F/E boards.

Any problems I haven't thought of?

All my house was boarded out using 65mm staples ... nothing better for
putting up Fermacell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-27 16:44:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Still looking to speed up feather edge board fixing. Finished off a play
house for my granddaughter today using a Tackwisw mains nailer with 25mm
staples to fix the F/E boards.

Two or three staples per board gave a surprisingly good fix.

My existing compressor will run a suitable staple gun so this looks like a
possible way ahead. Decided to stay with the screws for decking, so this
would be simply for F/E boards.

Any problems I haven't thought of?

Possibly, although not a fault of the stapler.

If you are going to use fairly thin feather edge board such as 9mm, you
run the risk of splitting the board and it may also be difficult to
staple in enough places for a solid fix and to hide the staple crowns.
Even with 11-12mm it's marginal sometimes.

I have a Porter Cable stapler and it works well, but I don't think that
I would use it for this application. A regular 16ga nailer would be
my preference, and 15ga for fence boards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
Still looking to speed up feather edge board fixing. Finished off a play
house for my granddaughter today using a Tackwisw mains nailer with 25mm
staples to fix the F/E boards.

Two or three staples per board gave a surprisingly good fix.

My existing compressor will run a suitable staple gun so this looks like a
possible way ahead. Decided to stay with the screws for decking, so this
would be simply for F/E boards.

Any problems I haven't thought of?

Yes, you should only fix feather edge on one edge so it doesn't split.
The one where two nails have been used at each side of the board will split.
Staples may well split the wood too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Yes, you should only fix feather edge on one edge so it doesn't split.
The one where two nails have been used at each side of the board will
split. Staples may well split the wood too.

Cicero wrote;
Have you looked at T-nails (Screwfix catalogue)? The head on these is much
bigger than the stem, and you might be able to get some to fit your
existing gear. The T head would probably solve the potential splitting of
feather edge boards.

Andy Hall wrote;
If you are going to use fairly thin feather edge board such as 9mm, you
run the risk of splitting the board and it may also be difficult to
staple in enough places for a solid fix and to hide the staple crowns.

Splitting? Not a problem. I put up 60 el cheapo Wickes f/e boards on said
playhouse, all stapled within 20mm of the ends - not a single incident or
even suggestion of splitting. 25mm narrow crown staples.

I think the staple goes in so fast it doesn't split.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

They haven't been in long enough yet.
I am referring to what happens when the wood shrinks and gets pulled apart
by too many fixings not what happens when you hit them with a hammer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...

dennis@home wrote:
Yes, you should only fix feather edge on one edge so it doesn't
split. The one where two nails have been used at each side of the
board will split. Staples may well split the wood too.

Cicero wrote;
Have you looked at T-nails (Screwfix catalogue)? The head on these
is much bigger than the stem, and you might be able to get some to
fit your existing gear. The T head would probably solve the
potential splitting of feather edge boards.

Andy Hall wrote;
If you are going to use fairly thin feather edge board such as 9mm,
you run the risk of splitting the board and it may also be difficult
to staple in enough places for a solid fix and to hide the staple
crowns. Splitting? Not a problem. I put up 60 el cheapo Wickes f/e
boards
on said playhouse, all stapled within 20mm of the ends - not a single
incident or even suggestion of splitting. 25mm narrow crown staples.

I think the staple goes in so fast it doesn't split.

They haven't been in long enough yet.
I am referring to what happens when the wood shrinks and gets pulled
apart by too many fixings not what happens when you hit them with a
hammer.

I'm confused. I haven't hit them with a hammer. I used an electric staple
gun.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Staple guns have hammers in them.. they don't just push the staple in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

The staples are thin enough not to split the wood. You can even pin a
3mm hardwood bead and not see the heads.

Problem with staple gun Mike S. Home Repair 13 November 3rd 14 08:35 PM
Staple gun SirBenjamin UK diy 0 December 11th 06 03:00 PM
JCB Cordless Staple Gun david lang UK diy 5 January 9th 06 11:33 PM
staple gun advice Pat Woodworking 7 April 5th 05 07:56 PM
If Guns Were Outlawed, Only Bad Dogs Would Have Guns Joe Metalworking 0 September 9th 04 07:50 PM