Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water heating

Would it be cheaper to use my immersion heater for hot water( not off peak)
than my oil fired boiler, with oil at 50 ++ pence a litre How should I
compare the cost Tanks E

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leveled wrote:
Would it be cheaper to use my immersion heater for hot water( not off peak)
than my oil fired boiler, with oil at 50 ++ pence a litre How should I
compare the cost Tanks E

The short answer at the moment is no.

I calculate oil at around 5.5p a kWh, comparable with off peak but half
the price of on peak.

Take oil price per liter and divide by 10 roughly to get price per Kwh.

But with any oil inefficiencies, or further price rises, the answer may
yet get to be 'yes'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:02:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The short answer at the moment is no.

I'd qualify that to maybe.

I calculate oil at around 5.5p a kWh, comparable with off peak but half
the price of on peak.

My main supply of leccy is at 8.415p/unit. The E7 costs 4.27p/unit I
expect one could find a better E7 tariff as that is Equipower (no standing
charge not even a hidden one, only pay for the units you use at a flat
rate).

Take oil price per liter and divide by 10 roughly to get price per Kwh.

As input cost, you do need to assume only about 75% efficient. So that
5.5p/unit input becomes more like 7.5p/unit output.

But with any oil inefficiencies, or further price rises, the answer may
yet get to be 'yes'.

Very likely to and not too far into the future with crude now pushing
rather hard against $120/barrel... 15% rise in brent crude this month. It
was at $85 back in Feb and 12 months ago $65.

Not far short of a 50% rise in 12 months OUCH! Something is going to break
and when it does it could get very nasty, very quickly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:02:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The short answer at the moment is no.

I'd qualify that to maybe.

I calculate oil at around 5.5p a kWh, comparable with off peak but half
the price of on peak.

My main supply of leccy is at 8.415p/unit. The E7 costs 4.27p/unit I
expect one could find a better E7 tariff as that is Equipower (no standing
charge not even a hidden one, only pay for the units you use at a flat
rate).

Take oil price per litre and divide by 10 roughly to get price per Kwh.

As input cost, you do need to assume only about 75% efficient. So that
5.5p/unit input becomes more like 7.5p/unit output.

But with any oil inefficiencies, or further price rises, the answer may
yet get to be 'yes'.

Very likely to and not too far into the future with crude now pushing
rather hard against $120/barrel... 15% rise in brent crude this month. It
was at $85 back in Feb and 12 months ago $65.

Not far short of a 50% rise in 12 months OUCH! Something is going to break
and when it does it could get very nasty, very quickly.

--
Cheers

Dave.

You are indeed lucky to have such cheap electricity the flat rate EBICO
price for our region is12.13 pence ,who does your 8.415p price??or is this a
large business deal?? I was just considering switching on the immersion
instead of the oil fired boiler,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

gas will be up at similar prices: coal is still quite cheap I believe.

But nuclear keeps the leccy prices down somewhat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:58:06 +0100, Leveled wrote:

My main supply of leccy is at 8.415p/unit. The E7 costs 4.27p/unit I
expect one could find a better E7 tariff as that is Equipower

You are indeed lucky to have such cheap electricity the flat rate EBICO
price for our region is 12.13 pence, who does your 8.415p price??

For EBICO flat rate normal tarrif for here (Norweb) is 10.67. The E7 peak
is 13.18.

I get the 8.415 from Scottish Power with their online monthly fixed direct
debit tarrif.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 3:05*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:58:06 +0100, Leveled wrote:
My main supply of leccy is at 8.415p/unit. The E7 costs 4.27p/unit I
expect one could find a better E7 tariff as that is Equipower

You are indeed lucky to have such cheap electricity the flat rate EBICO
price for our region is 12.13 pence, who does your 8.415p price??

For EBICO flat rate normal tarrif for here (Norweb) is 10.67. The E7 peak
is 13.18.

I get the 8.415 from Scottish Power with their online monthly fixed direct
debit tarrif.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Electricity here, eastern Canada, used domestically, averages 10 cents
(that's about 5 pence) per k.watt hour; no E7 or off-peak discount
rates for residential users.

All forms of oil heating now very expensive and going up all the time.
One litre costing around 90cents to $1.10 (Canadian currency).
Gasoline now averaging about $1.20 to $1.30 across Canada.

Question: If hot water is to be heated by the same oil fired
'boiler' (furnace) that also provides central heating there must be
periods when it operates extremely inefficiently, cutting in only
sporadically just to heat a small amount of domestic hot water?
Consequently an electric hot water heater (tank/cylinder etc.) might
be a good choice for economy?

PS. How do you chaps spell it these days; "litre" or "liter"? In
Canada purists seem to regard spellings such as "liter" as being
Americanized; in much the same ballpark as 'foto', 'sox', 'labor',
'harbor', 'humor' etc. Just curious! Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

If te biler is timed and has sufficient hysteresis and a relatively
efficient heat ehanger, i isn't that inefficient to e.g.come on for a 20
minute burn to heat a water tank.

However low output inefficiences are a source of argument and BS among
boiler makers.

PS. How do you chaps spell it these days; "litre" or "liter"? In
Canada purists seem to regard spellings such as "liter" as being
Americanized; in much the same ballpark as 'foto', 'sox', 'labor',
'harbor', 'humor' etc. Just curious! Cheers

Not sure.