Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken cable on GHD straighteners

Got an iffy cable on my stepdaughter's straighteners and I just wondered
if anyone her had taken a pair apart? There are two small screws at the
hinge end which are get-at-able and others next to the plates for which
you'd need a small right angled driver to get at.

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham
fistedly make matters worse.
--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Geoff Berrow wrote:
Got an iffy cable on my stepdaughter's straighteners and I just wondered
if anyone her had taken a pair apart? There are two small screws at the
hinge end which are get-at-able and others next to the plates for which
you'd need a small right angled driver to get at.

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham
fistedly make matters worse.

I would do one of three things:

If they are not very old, take them back and ask for replacement. If you
don't consider this reasonable or the supplier won't play, tough.

Buy some new ones.

Persuade her that straight hair is so last year.

Then:

Throw the old ones away (appropriately).

If you search around, you will find that many adverts state "new, more
durable cable" and such like. This is because some models were fitted
with crap cables. This has been the subject of several "investigations"
(maybe Watchdog, maybe magazines/newspapers, maybe even official bodies).

I would not risk fitting an inappropriate cable or missing an important
aspect of the fitting or a replacement part or whatever in something
that is already inherently at the fragile end of the scale.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
Got an iffy cable on my stepdaughter's straighteners and I just wondered
if anyone her had taken a pair apart? There are two small screws at the
hinge end which are get-at-able and others next to the plates for which
you'd need a small right angled driver to get at.

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham
fistedly make matters worse.

If you do end up having to get new ones, the SHE copies on Ebay are nigh on
identical - my bird has the copies, her mate has the proper ones, they've
used both and they're bang on the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
Got an iffy cable on my stepdaughter's straighteners and I just wondered
if anyone her had taken a pair apart? There are two small screws at the
hinge end which are get-at-able and others next to the plates for which
you'd need a small right angled driver to get at.

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham
fistedly make matters worse.

If you do end up having to get new ones, the SHE copies on Ebay are nigh
on identical - my bird has the copies, her mate has the proper ones,
they've used both and they're bang on the same.

Yeah but they won't have "GHB" embossed on the side will they, so
they'll no doubt be as useless as a pair of spectacles without 'Gucci'
printed on the side arm.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
Got an iffy cable on my stepdaughter's straighteners and I just wondered
if anyone her had taken a pair apart? There are two small screws at the
hinge end which are get-at-able and others next to the plates for which
you'd need a small right angled driver to get at.

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham
fistedly make matters worse.

My daughters stopped working outside the 1 year warranty period. I emailed
GHD and was told to return them. They returned a brand new pair (probably
refurbished) within the week. Great customer service.

Give them a try if you haven't already opened them up.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

following:

It's a pretty straightforward replace cable job but I don't want to ham
fistedly make matters worse.

I would do one of three things:

If they are not very old, take them back and ask for replacement. If you
don't consider this reasonable or the supplier won't play, tough.

18 months. Wouldn'tcha kno it?

Buy some new ones.

Umm (checks pocket) no I don't have a spare 100 quid at the mo.

Persuade her that straight hair is so last year.

She's 15 and so knows it all. I can't persuade her of anything.

Then:

Throw the old ones away (appropriately).

If you search around, you will find that many adverts state "new, more
durable cable" and such like. This is because some models were fitted
with crap cables. This has been the subject of several "investigations"
(maybe Watchdog, maybe magazines/newspapers, maybe even official bodies).

I'd very much like to fit the new more durable cable.

I would not risk fitting an inappropriate cable or missing an important
aspect of the fitting or a replacement part or whatever in something
that is already inherently at the fragile end of the scale.

Well, that was the whole point of asking for advice. I really don't
imagine it can be that hard! Fair enough, if it were connections to the
plates, I imagine this needs high melting point solder etc etc. But a
cable, is a cable.

--
Regards,

Geoff Berrow
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Geoff Berrow wrote:
If they are not very old, take them back and ask for replacement. If you
don't consider this reasonable or the supplier won't play, tough.

18 months. Wouldn'tcha kno it?

And I would certainly either take them back to the supplier or contact
GHD directly after just 18 months.

--
Rod

onset.