Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing modern toilets ?

How the hell are you supposed to secure them ?

Thanks for the replies chaps - i'll see how this goes, and might end
up trying the gripfill technique - I don't recall seeing a bracket for
it anywhere, and most of the packaging is now recycled / landfill
(where recycling wasn't an option) so the odds of finding one are
rapidly fading :-}

....failing that, i've got some of the FT101 adhesive sealant than
screwfix flog...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
How the hell are you supposed to secure them ?

Thanks for the replies chaps - i'll see how this goes, and might end
up trying the gripfill technique - I don't recall seeing a bracket for
it anywhere, and most of the packaging is now recycled / landfill
(where recycling wasn't an option) so the odds of finding one are
rapidly fading :-}

Have you assembled the inards of the cistern yet, as sometimes the brackets
etc are in the bag of syphon bits.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you assembled the inards of the cistern yet, as sometimes the brackets
etc are in the bag of syphon bits.

It's all in & complete now, apart from figuring out how to fix the bog
- pretty much all the packaging has now gone, so even if it was in
there, is won't be any more :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Have you assembled the inards of the cistern yet, as sometimes the
brackets
etc are in the bag of syphon bits.

It's all in & complete now, apart from figuring out how to fix the bog
- pretty much all the packaging has now gone, so even if it was in
there, is won't be any more :-}

I fitted a new one recently and thought that the horizontal fixings were
quite a good idea. Two "eye-bolts" screwed into the floor - to the correct
depth - then lower the bog over them and insert two machine screws. Worked
well for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Colin, I fitted one of these 'back to wall' toilets with horizontal
holes. I something similar to these http://www.bathroomfixings.com/1.htm
(2nd pic) which were included with the WC. I placed the pan in position and
marked on the floor where the WC holes were and drew along the outside edge
of the pan. Removed the pan and measured the thickness of the pan wall at
these points and transferred this measurement onto the floor (inside the
lines I had drawn). I fixed the brackets to the floor a few mm's inside
this new line and when I slid the pan back I put supplied coachscrews
through the horizontal holes and tightened up. The 'upright' bit of the
brackets I used had lots of holes in so accuracy wasn't really critical.

I hope you understand my method, I do but I know what I am trying to say.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Colin, I fitted one of these 'back to wall' toilets with horizontal
holes. I something similar to these http://www.bathroomfixings.com/1.htm
(2nd pic) which were included with the WC.

Hmmm could be useful... i'll see how the silicone gets on, it's worth
a punt if it doesn't hold with that alone !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Hi Colin, I fitted one of these 'back to wall' toilets with horizontal
holes. I something similar to these http://www.bathroomfixings.com/1.htm
(2nd pic) which were included with the WC.

Hmmm could be useful... i'll see how the silicone gets on, it's worth
a punt if it doesn't hold with that alone !

Personally I wouldn't trust silicone to hold a toilet firmly enough. I
would ALWAYS go with some kind of mechanical fixing with silicone for the
cosmetics!

HTH

John

Fixing modern toilets ? The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 April 25th 08 08:15 AM
Fixing modern toilets ? [email protected] UK diy 0 April 25th 08 08:09 AM
Fixing modern toilets ? Rod UK diy 0 April 25th 08 05:14 AM
Modern Fixing Practice vintage rawlplug 1936 FA JaneyP UK diy 1 August 1st 06 10:11 AM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM