Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Fixing modern toilets ?

Colin Wilson wrote:
Further to the recent bathroom from hell thread, our new bog hasn't
got the normal floor mounting screw holes, it only has horizontal
holes towards the back of the pan.

How the hell are you supposed to secure them ? - it can't be dropped
in from above because it wouldn't be possible to get either the flush
pipe or the soil pipe in (already having to use a flexi soil pipe
contrary to the comments make about them on here)

Just to make life hard, the rear face starts flat against the vanity
unit low down, then slopes away and out so there's a gap of about 10mm
to fill at the top. The first attempt at using silicone on it failed
as soon as we removed a brace we used to minimise movement while it
set...

My ol' man's doing it, and about the best he could come up with was
his normal "fill it full of expanding foam" method of fixing (which
he's been known to use for anything from skirting to tiles to back-
boxes for sockets etc !)

Don't know about the "supposed" way. And it will depend on the floor.

Our downstairs WC has a concrete floor. I used some Gripfill/Pink stuff
and placed some clingfilm on top. Then I placed the bowl on top of that.
This did the following things:

Filled some of the uneven concrete from under the old WC bowl (which had
been placed on a bed of mortar);
Let me build up a precise ridge to take the new bowl which increased the
contact area;
Allowed me to get the alignment and positioning spot on.

It took a ridiculous length of time for the Gripfill to set hard -
several days from memory. (Maybe I should have used soemthing else?) But
when it had set, I removed the new bowl and did the rest of the work.
Finally, I smeared a good dollop of bathroom silicone on top of the
Gripfill and placed the bowl back on top of that. Of course, the ridge
in the Gripfill meant that I could position it very easily. When that
set it was very firmly secured.

I did this because I was not happy at the thought of using only
silicone. Seems to me that it is too flexible and could have allowed the
bowl to move significantly in use.

I did not use screwws at all and it is fine. And do remove any Gripfill
that squidges out before it sets.

--
Rod

onset.

Old toilets # Fred # Home Repair 13 August 18th 06 02:26 AM
Modern Fixing Practice vintage rawlplug 1936 FA JaneyP UK diy 1 August 1st 06 10:11 AM
Cordless Toilets FACE Home Repair 0 October 13th 05 02:11 AM
New Vistas in Toilets JerryMouse Home Repair 1 March 3rd 05 10:54 PM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM