Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mouldy Sealant and walls.

Further to my other post the windows in this house look like they aint ever
been opened for long, the sealant in the kitchen and bathrooms gone black
and mouldy and there is mould on the wals of the bathroom.
What's the best way to get rid of this please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SamanthaBooth wrote:

Further to my other post the windows in this house look like they aint ever
been opened for long, the sealant in the kitchen and bathrooms gone black
and mouldy and there is mould on the wals of the bathroom.
What's the best way to get rid of this please?

Get as much as possible of the old sealant off. Spray first with bleach
spray, just to give you peace of mind that any germs in it are dead.
Then scrape off any remaining bits, using knives,wallpaper scrapers,
window scrapers (the type with a stanley knife balde in them) and wire
wool.
Once it is all off, then give it all a good soaking of bleach, and if
possible, leave it to soak.
Wash all the bleach off, then use a good quality silicone sealant to
reseal it.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SamanthaBooth wrote:
Further to my other post the windows in this house look like they aint ever
been opened for long, the sealant in the kitchen and bathrooms gone black
and mouldy and there is mould on the wals of the bathroom.
What's the best way to get rid of this please?

Quite likely you'll have to replace the sealant, but it's certainly
first worth trying repeated treatment with Dettol mildew remover - truly
wonderful stuff:
http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/2/xpi51883852.htm

Works very well on walls too.

Of course you need to address the cause of the mildew, which, as it
sounds like you've surmised, is most likely poor ventilation.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SamanthaBooth wrote:

Further to my other post the windows in this house look like they aint ever
been opened for long, the sealant in the kitchen and bathrooms gone black
and mouldy and there is mould on the wals of the bathroom.
What's the best way to get rid of this please?

As said, most likely you'll need to remove and replace sealant.
However I did successfully clean one lot up just by spraying bleach
on and letting it soak. But at other times its had little effect...
worth
a shot though. Its one of the downsides of silicone.
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....licone_Sealant

NT

mouldy washer [email protected] UK diy 1 May 30th 07 12:54 PM
Painting a mouldy ceiling Jason UK diy 5 September 3rd 06 04:05 PM
Smoothover Walls. Gone Mouldy! only me UK diy 1 April 29th 06 01:29 AM
mouldy sandbags [email protected] UK diy 3 August 28th 05 07:47 PM
Sealant for external walls Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 February 27th 05 02:01 PM