Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting a mouldy ceiling

Hello

I had some black mould on a couple of my ceilings, and I've cleaned it off
with bleach. It all seems to have gone/died, but I've been left with dark
grey stains where it was.

Obviously I've got to repaint the ceilings now, but I was wondering if
normal emulsion will be enough - is it likely to come back or stain through?
I've seen fungicidal paint for sale from (amongst others) Screwfix, but is
that overkill? Would an oil based primer covered by normal silk emulsion do
the job?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jason" writes:
Hello

I had some black mould on a couple of my ceilings, and I've cleaned it off
with bleach. It all seems to have gone/died, but I've been left with dark
grey stains where it was.

Bleach might temporarily kill it and 'bleach' the colour
out, but bleach isn't a cleaner.

Obviously I've got to repaint the ceilings now, but I was wondering if
normal emulsion will be enough - is it likely to come back or stain through?

It will come back unless you find and fix the cause.
The ceiling is damp. Moisture might be coming through
from above or the walls, or it might be condensation.
Some description of the ceiling construction, what's
above it, where it is on the ceiling, what sort of
rooms it happen in, ventilation in the house, etc
might help.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jason" writes:

Obviously I've got to repaint the ceilings now, but I was wondering if
normal emulsion will be enough - is it likely to come back or stain

through?

It will come back unless you find and fix the cause.
The ceiling is damp. Moisture might be coming through
from above or the walls, or it might be condensation.
Some description of the ceiling construction, what's
above it, where it is on the ceiling, what sort of
rooms it happen in, ventilation in the house, etc
might help.

Hi Andrew

The cause seems to have been a broken extractor fan in the bathroom - it was
all alright until the fan died. The worst-affected room is/was the
bathroom.

The ceiling is just plasterboard with textured paint/artex and emulsion on
it. The attic is above it, and there are no leaks in the roof. The house
is double glazed, so the ventilation isn't fantastic anyway.

Cheers

Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jason" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
The cause seems to have been a broken extractor fan in the bathroom - it was
all alright until the fan died. The worst-affected room is/was the
bathroom.

The ceiling is just plasterboard with textured paint/artex and emulsion on
it. The attic is above it, and there are no leaks in the roof. The house
is double glazed, so the ventilation isn't fantastic anyway.

Is there any loft insulation? If so, is it missing in the
damp areas, or not laying properly on the ceiling, resulting
in cold spots?

Is there a long term source of moisture in the house, such
as lots of damp cloths hanging up to dry? Although showers
and baths generate moisture, the proportion of the time they
are used is unlikely by itself to cause the problem, even if
the fan is not working.

If the double glazing has trickle vents, I suggest you make
sure they are open in all the affected rooms. Otherwise leave
some fanlight windows locked in the slightly open position.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:

Hello

I had some black mould on a couple of my ceilings, and I've cleaned it off
with bleach. It all seems to have gone/died, but I've been left with dark
grey stains where it was.

Obviously I've got to repaint the ceilings now, but I was wondering if
normal emulsion will be enough - is it likely to come back or stain through?
I've seen fungicidal paint for sale from (amongst others) Screwfix, but is
that overkill? Would an oil based primer covered by normal silk emulsion do
the job?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

If what caused the mould is still happening, it'll reoccur. Mould
killing paint really helps though, at least for n years.

To make it... Finely crush 16 aspirin and add to 2.5 litre paint, give
it time to soften and disintegrate, and stir thoroughly. If you have
any copper compound around just a small pinch of that as well would
give even more mould protection.

If stains come through, a layer of oil paint stops most stains. Failing
that there are stain block paints, but theyre not usually needed.

NT