Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tricky mains install

Hi,
I'm trying to improve a fairly dangerous mains install
(insufficient sockets run from the ring upstairs!) but have a problem
with part of a room that has a concrete floor, making running a ring
main underneath challenging...
It's oddly shaped, too, so chasing a horizontal course or installing
trunking would be very difficult and involve chasing behind some
plumbing.
The expedient solution would be to put the cables behind the
skirting, which is deprecated (I read the archived threads on the
topic), however I see there's a provision in the wiring regs for
horizontal runs from a visible fitting.
Would installing visible fittings on the skirtings where the cables
are routed be a dangerous bodge (following the letter but not spirit
of regs) or an elegant solution- a good way of warning some future
installer that there's a potential problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
W.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Apr, 21:08, "John" noneinuse@ wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to improve a fairly dangerous mains install
Would installing visible fittings on the skirtings where the cables
are routed be a dangerous bodge ... ?

I'm not a leccy but I know that working sockets on skirtings is a no-no.

I've just checked (should have done before I posted last night...
sorry) and every room in the house (a Victorian stone lump) has
sockets in the skirtings...! The kitchen and utility/scullery are the
only place where they are elsewhere.

Maybe you could just cut a hole in the skirting and put a blanking plate on
the front. The blanking platehttp://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG904.htmlwould give the indication of
cables in the vicinity, if they took the plate off they could see the cable
behind the skirting, and, AFAIK, no regs broken )

That seems like a balanced solution, now I've checked the rest of the
place... I'm not going to rewire the whole house and that ought to
make it clear what's going on.

Peter- I like the trunking idea but it wouldn't suit the house;
Lobster, dropping from a ring above is probably the ideal solution but
would require a huge amount of work upstairs, as the layout's
different (hence only part of the floor is concrete) and there's even
more plumbing to work around.

Cheers,
W.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Lots of houses had sockets put on skirting boards. Its now verboten
because an electrical fault can generate a lot of heat, and putting
thin wood next to it increases the fire risk a little. Don't know if
you'd
want to cut out a bit of skirting the width of the pattress and put
socket in there. Another option is mount them above and chisel
behind with a cranked sds chisel.

Sometimes a goodly thinking period punctutated with a few
viewings is enough to cause some unexpected route to pop up,
avoiding lots of work. One minor wiring job was a total pain, and
only next day I figured out how I could have avoided most of the
work!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:30:42 -0700 (PDT) wrote :
Lots of houses had sockets put on skirting boards. Its now verboten
because an electrical fault can generate a lot of heat, and putting
thin wood next to it increases the fire risk a little. D

It was done because it saved redecorating, but AIUI the reason for it
not being allowed is because it invariably forces a tight bend on the
flex given the limited clearance from the floor. Also, surface sockets
- another favourite of 1960s rewires - are very prone to being damaged
by vacuum cleaners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

It was done because it saved redecorating, but AIUI the reason for it
not being allowed is because it invariably forces a tight bend on the
flex given the limited clearance from the floor. Also, surface sockets
- another favourite of 1960s rewires - are very prone to being damaged
by vacuum cleaners.

Correct - regulation 553.1.6 (17th edition) refers. Also the general
reduction in the width of skirtings in newer houses would make it
difficult to fit anything much bigger than a 2 amp socket.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:59*pm, wrote:
Hi,
The expedient solution would be to put the cables behind the
skirting, which is deprecated (I read the archived threads on the
topic), however I see there's a provision in the wiring regs for
horizontal runs from a visible fitting.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
* * * * * * W.

I don't believe that running cables behind the skirting board should
be a problem.
Providing that they are no more than 6" off the floor they fall within
allowable safe zones.
However, do not put sockets on the Skirting board, you should chase
out vertical runs to a suitable height above the skirting.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ac1951 writes:
On Apr 23, 8:59*pm, wrote:
Hi,
The expedient solution would be to put the cables behind the
skirting, which is deprecated (I read the archived threads on the
topic), however I see there's a provision in the wiring regs for
horizontal runs from a visible fitting.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
* * * * * * W.

I don't believe that running cables behind the skirting board should
be a problem.
Providing that they are no more than 6" off the floor they fall within
allowable safe zones.

There is no safe zone along the bottom of a wall.
Only up corners and between walls and ceiling.

However, do not put sockets on the Skirting board, you should chase
out vertical runs to a suitable height above the skirting.
Andy

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 01:05:31 +0100, Owain
wrote:

There should not be a problem if the non-combustible backing boxes come
right up to the front surface of the boarding.

Mentioning that behind such boarding is an ideal hidey-hole for
cockroaches and other nasties might help convince her that retaining the
ceramic tiling is the way to go.

Owain

I like your approach, young man!
Ian
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian