Posted to uk.d-i-y
TW TW is offline

Default How long does it take a freezer to freeze

Hi All,

Possibly a poor choice of group to ask this but you seem a friendly (and
observant) bunch.

I have just acquired a frost free freezer (10 cu ft upright) and it seemed
to take an age to get from ambient to a decent freezing temperature.

Usefully it has a temperature display so it was quite easy to monitor speed
of cooling. The temperature display is reasonably accurate.

Its in a room at about 15C ambient and it took 1.5hrs to get to freezing and
another 1.5hrs to make -18C while still empty.

This seems like a very long time just to cool an empty freezer and makes me
question whether it is faulty. Anyone here got anything similar and did you
take any rough measurements of freezing time?

I'll fill it with food and see if it keeps it cold but if anyone has any
info to help me make a decision whether it is faulty or not, it would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Trev.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TW" wrote in message
[...]

You do not say how old the freezer is but I would not worry about it taking
3 hours for my 6 year old freezer to reach -18C.

You must have heard that "a watched pot never boils". For freezers "a
watched freezer never freezes"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TW" wrote in message
[...]

Not really timed it before, but it sounds about right.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 7:18*pm, "TW" wrote:
Hi All,

Possibly a poor choice of group to ask this but you seem a friendly (and
observant) bunch.

I have just acquired a frost free freezer (10 cu ft upright) and it seemed
to take an age to get from ambient to a decent freezing temperature.

Might have a fair bit of added thermal mass, so it keeps stuff frozen
when there's a power cut.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:18:27 +0100, TW wrote:

Its in a room at about 15C ambient and it took 1.5hrs to get to freezing
and another 1.5hrs to make -18C while still empty.

This seems like a very long time just to cool an empty freezer ...

It's not just cooling the air it also has to bring all the walls, shelves
and a substantial part of the insulation down as well. 1.5hrs from 0C to
-18C doesn't seem to shabby. Ours has just taken about 6 hours to get back
down to -23C, in "super freeze" mode after having 4 loaves of bread shoved
in it. It will get down to -30 if left in super freeze. Conventional,
frosty, Energy Class A, fridge/freezer but with independant compressors
for the fridge and freezer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message BpydnbZcl6ZttpPVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@plusnet, TW
writes
[...]

Go and find something important to worry about

30 degrees in 90 mins - 3 mins/ degree is hardly outlandishly slow

I bought a new septic style freezer last month and it took 6 hours to
get the icemaker to work - they quote 24 hours in the manual

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TW TW is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to all for the replies,

It appears that it does have quite a large thermal mass, I had assumed that
the mass was generally the contents and the freezer itself was pretty much
all insulation.

10 kilos of fridge temperature meat only lifed it up a couple of degrees
temporarily so it appears OK.

I'll go back to worrying about the baggage retreival system they have at
Heathrow now!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m-prhaikK9I

Trev.

Pc freeze [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 June 9th 06 05:49 PM
Freeze Less Faucets Patch Home Repair 8 March 26th 05 11:14 PM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer - Freezer defrosted red light on any ideas? Suz UK diy 0 September 5th 03 01:59 AM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 08:06 PM