Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default How long does it take a freezer to freeze

In message BpydnbZcl6ZttpPVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@plusnet, TW
writes
Hi All,

Possibly a poor choice of group to ask this but you seem a friendly (and
observant) bunch.

I have just acquired a frost free freezer (10 cu ft upright) and it seemed
to take an age to get from ambient to a decent freezing temperature.

Usefully it has a temperature display so it was quite easy to monitor speed
of cooling. The temperature display is reasonably accurate.

Its in a room at about 15C ambient and it took 1.5hrs to get to freezing and
another 1.5hrs to make -18C while still empty.

This seems like a very long time just to cool an empty freezer and makes me
question whether it is faulty. Anyone here got anything similar and did you
take any rough measurements of freezing time?

I'll fill it with food and see if it keeps it cold but if anyone has any
info to help me make a decision whether it is faulty or not, it would be
appreciated.

Go and find something important to worry about

30 degrees in 90 mins - 3 mins/ degree is hardly outlandishly slow

I bought a new septic style freezer last month and it took 6 hours to
get the icemaker to work - they quote 24 hours in the manual

--
geoff