Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Cable Identification

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what my cable is called?
Bit of an accident on Saturday, managed to drop the bottom paper tray off
the fax machine.
I am now looking to source a replacement for the cable which has been
damaged as a result.
The machine is a Ricoh Aficio 5000L, but I think that there must be
something out there cheaper (and more readily available) than the
manufacturer's part.
The cable is a bit like a ribbon cable, but each wire (there are 12) is
separate and insulated.
Each end of the wires terminate in a plastic female block with the
connection line close to one edge of the block - again a bit like a ribbon
cable termination but less pins (or at least holes in the blocks to mate
with 12 pins).
Failing this, it will be out with the soldering iron to try to repair the
damaged item - many strands have been either stripped or broken completely.

Hope this is clear

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what my cable is called?
Bit of an accident on Saturday, managed to drop the bottom paper tray off
the fax machine.
I am now looking to source a replacement for the cable which has been
damaged as a result.
The machine is a Ricoh Aficio 5000L, but I think that there must be
something out there cheaper (and more readily available) than the
manufacturer's part.

From what I found, that machine has a parallel interface using, I
assume, a "IEEE 1284 Parallel" cable. Not at all sure if that is what
you mean?

These are available from shops or the web and also from the many
millions of us who have moved on from parallel printers to USB and/or
network and/or wireless/Bluetooth. I got rid of several just the other
day...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Can can you take a photo and post a link here?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what my cable is called?
Bit of an accident on Saturday, managed to drop the bottom paper tray off
the fax machine.
I am now looking to source a replacement for the cable which has been
damaged as a result.
The machine is a Ricoh Aficio 5000L, but I think that there must be
something out there cheaper (and more readily available) than the
manufacturer's part.

From what I found, that machine has a parallel interface using, I assume,
a "IEEE 1284 Parallel" cable. Not at all sure if that is what you mean?

But his detailed desription sounded nothing like a 1284 cable!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Salisbury" wrote in
message
Hi,
Can can you take a photo and post a link here?

Of the cable that is? thats one helluva fax machine to have in the room?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what my cable is called?
Bit of an accident on Saturday, managed to drop the bottom paper tray off
the fax machine.
I am now looking to source a replacement for the cable which has been
damaged as a result.
The machine is a Ricoh Aficio 5000L, but I think that there must be
something out there cheaper (and more readily available) than the
manufacturer's part.

From what I found, that machine has a parallel interface using, I assume,
a "IEEE 1284 Parallel" cable. Not at all sure if that is what you mean?

But his detailed desription sounded nothing like a 1284 cable!

True - my concentration completely wandered between first read and posting!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

[...]

There are too many possibilities from what you've told us. Would
need a photo with a ruler sitting by it in both directions.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

wrote

There are too many possibilities from what you've told us. Would
need a photo with a ruler sitting by it in both directions.

OK guys

My first venture into posting images - hopefully it looks like this
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ster/PS002.jpg

Missed the ruler bit, but the whole thing is 300mm between connectors.
Each end connector is 25mm "long" x 4mm wide x 5mm high.
As can be seen it's like a stranded ribbon cable with female pin

connectors
at each end.

Last post of the day
Thanks for any successful indentifications
Will revisit thread tomorrow

Phil

Don't matter about cable its a close-up of the plug thats needed. Tsk!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

wrote

There are too many possibilities from what you've told us. Would
need a photo with a ruler sitting by it in both directions.

OK guys

My first venture into posting images - hopefully it looks like this
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ster/PS002.jpg

Missed the ruler bit, but the whole thing is 300mm between connectors.
Each end connector is 25mm "long" x 4mm wide x 5mm high.
As can be seen it's like a stranded ribbon cable with female pin connectors
at each end.

I don't think that is any sort of standard cable, it's more like an
internal custom cable. If the pins on the boards where it connects
are on 0.1" centres then they're probably fairly standard SIL sockets
on the end of the wires but I suspect you may have to either cough up
for the 'proper' one or make up to a local electonic hobbyist who
could make one for you.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:

wrote

[...]

Nah! from what I can see all he has to do is fit heat shrink cable over the
damaged ones,solder the ends together then heat shrink the cable over the
bare wire/s.

Job done. at a lesser expense. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, TheScullster wrote:
My first venture into posting images - hopefully it looks like this
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ster/PS002.jpg

Missed the ruler bit, but the whole thing is 300mm between connectors.
Each end connector is 25mm "long" x 4mm wide x 5mm high.
As can be seen it's like a stranded ribbon cable with female pin connectors
at each end.

It doesn't look like a standard cable to me.

Before doing anything else I'd try the soldering-iron repair, with heat-
shrink tubing to insulate the joints.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

My first venture into posting images - hopefully it looks like this
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ster/PS002.jpg

Looks like a bodge-job to me. They look like standard IDC connectors that
someone's crudely connected together. I'd expect to see a ribbon cable or
at least a semi decent job of cable binding (and with colour coded cables).
I guess this cable has been broken before and you're looking at some elses
repair attempt ;-)

I'd be inclined just to repair what's there. I guess the ends correspond
one-to-one so it should be easy to join up the right loose ends. If you
don't fancy soldering, use some small terminal blocks :-)

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George pretended :
"TheScullster" wrote in message

wrote

There are too many possibilities from what you've told us. Would
need a photo with a ruler sitting by it in both directions.

OK guys

My first venture into posting images - hopefully it looks like this
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...ster/PS002.jpg

Missed the ruler bit, but the whole thing is 300mm between connectors.
Each end connector is 25mm "long" x 4mm wide x 5mm high.
As can be seen it's like a stranded ribbon cable with female pin connectors
at each end.

Last post of the day
Thanks for any successful indentifications
Will revisit thread tomorrow

Phil

Don't matter about cable its a close-up of the plug thats needed. Tsk!

That looks like a 0.1" pitch normal header to header linking cable.
While the plugs are a standard electronics item and the wire a standard
item, there is no guarantee the Ricoh have linked pin 1 to pin 1 and so
on up to pin 12 - particularly as Ricoh have not used standard ribbon
cable. Ribbon cable usually means they have to link the two plugs pin
for pin.

You can buy the plugs (well sockets really), but they require a crimper
to fit them.

Perhaps your best way forward would be to follow each wire between the
two plug ends and see if they are in any sort of obvious order and if
they are, or you can work it out from the broken ends - think in terms
of soldering the broken ends and sleeving them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Al
writes
Looks like a bodge-job to me.

You've obviously not seen the inside of a printer or photocopier in the
last ten years then. That's exactly the sort of cable I'd expect to see
having repaired hundreds of printers and seen the insides of many more
as colleagues have worked on them.
They look like standard IDC connectors that
someone's crudely connected together. I'd expect to see a ribbon cable or
at least a semi decent job of cable binding (and with colour coded cables).

Why colour code when it's assembled in a jig by a machine? If you're
fault finding you don't need the cables colour coded either, you just
count from one end of the plug.
I guess this cable has been broken before and you're looking at some elses
repair attempt ;-)

I'd be inclined just to repair what's there. I guess the ends correspond
one-to-one so it should be easy to join up the right loose ends. If you
don't fancy soldering, use some small terminal blocks :-)

Probably no room for terminal blocks, heat shrink over soldered
connections would be my preference if I couldn't find a replacement.

Al.

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
[...]

yep, its begging for a repair. Snip the wire ties off and you should
find the cables are connected in order, so its easy to tell what goes
where. Solder, crimp, screw, etc, and tape or sleeve.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:57:48 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

That looks like a 0.1" pitch normal header to header linking cable.
While the plugs are a standard electronics item and the wire a standard
item, there is no guarantee the Ricoh have linked pin 1 to pin 1 and so
on up to pin 12 - particularly as Ricoh have not used standard ribbon
cable.

Inclined to agree but careful handling and inspection may hint at which
end came from which end, deformation of the insulation, varying lengths of
broken wire strands matching, where the wires want to lie, the breaks look
to be at differnt distances from the plug at the RH end match the lengths,
etc. Use small flags from tape and identify each end say letters on the
cable side number on the plug make a table of possible matches.

Then see how the wires map to pins at each end, there maybe a pattern.
Does that pattern work with the information gained above?

Then solder and insulate each wire as required.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all respondents.
Have browsed various electronic sites but not found a "perfect match" for
the end connections.
They appear to be 2mm pitch pin spacing rather than 0.1" but still don't
conform to maplin/RS kit.
Looks like time to get the soldering iron out .

Phil

OT DIY bug identification Vernon UK diy 4 March 8th 08 11:46 AM
SMC FET IDENTIFICATION JFP Electronics Repair 0 September 30th 07 07:06 PM
IC identification [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 8th 07 03:28 PM
Cable Identification Adebisi UK diy 28 April 7th 06 04:06 PM
Bug identification help JJ Home Repair 7 November 6th 05 01:43 PM