Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fungus growing on walls

Any advice for fungus growing on inner walls of a 1930's house? It is
at top of walls so I think not rising damp.

If I just re-paint will it re-occur? Is there any treatment I can give
before repainting to prevent recurrence?

When I moved in the house had to be re-wired and the electrician
fitted a ventilator from the upstairs WC to an outside wall, could the
cold air coming in through this be causing the damp/fungus and would
blocking it up be any use?

Do I need to keep the rooms affected heated? Better ventilated?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Any advice for fungus growing on inner walls of a 1930's house? It is
at top of walls so I think not rising damp.

Sounds like condensation caused by poor ventilation to me. Top of the
walls, furthest away from the doors?

The other thing to look at is the gutters. If they are blocked the
overflowing water might be causing it.

If I just re-paint will it re-occur? Is there any treatment I can give
before repainting to prevent recurrence?

You have to sort the cause first. Then use a mould killer/remover like this
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...ld_killer.html next apply a
stain block paint
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...op_liquid.html

When I moved in the house had to be re-wired and the electrician
fitted a ventilator from the upstairs WC to an outside wall, could the
cold air coming in through this be causing the damp/fungus and would
blocking it up be any use?

Probably make things worse if its a condensation problem.

Do I need to keep the rooms affected heated? Better ventilated?...

Better ventilated. Assuming its not the gutters. Insulating the walls
would help.

Would a 1930's house have cavity walls?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:36:04 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Would a 1930's house have cavity walls?

Might do but my parents semi of that age didn't, solid 9" brick walls.

Ceratinly sounds like condensation. I wonder if the place has been fitted
with double glazing sans trickle vents? Does any area that has water
vapour present (kitchen, bathroom etc) have decent extract ventilation,
that is used? Are clothes routinely dried indoors?

Extract ventilation of kitchen/bathroom etcto remove high levels of water
vapour will probably cure it. Assuming it's not gutters/downspouts/over
flows etc

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:36:04 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Would a 1930's house have cavity walls?

Might do but my parents semi of that age didn't, solid 9" brick walls.

On the other hand it might - we had cavity wall insulation installed in
our 1920s house. Every time we asked for a quote we were confidently
told that it wouldn't have cavities to which I always replied that I had
snaked the TV aerial down between the skins.

dan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Apr, 00:05, wrote:
Any advice for fungus growing on inner walls of a 1930's house? It is
at top of walls so I think not rising damp.

If I just re-paint will it re-occur? Is there any treatment I can give
before repainting to prevent recurrence?

When I moved in the house had to be re-wired and the electrician
fitted a ventilator from the upstairs WC to an outside wall, could the
cold air coming in through this be causing the damp/fungus and would
blocking it up be any use?

Do I need to keep the rooms affected heated? Better ventilated?...

Dear grouchy.old

Some id would be the first step
IS is a fungus? or efflorescence or mould?

What colour?
Is there a sporophore or are you looking at mycelium?

Perhaps a photo?

It could be Aspergillus niger (if a mould from condenstion)
plaster fungus
dry rot sporophore (hope for your sake not)

What is the substrate?

Is there an obvious water source outside?

When you have answered these questions I would be of more use to you
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any advice for fungus growing on inner walls of a 1930's house? It is
at top of walls so I think not rising damp.

If I just re-paint will it re-occur? Is there any treatment I can give
before repainting to prevent recurrence?

When I moved in the house had to be re-wired and the electrician
fitted a ventilator from the upstairs WC to an outside wall, could the
cold air coming in through this be causing the damp/fungus and would
blocking it up be any use?

Do I need to keep the rooms affected heated? Better ventilated?...

Need to nail this down more. It could be caused by condensation
pr water ingress. Condensation could be caused by 4" wall,
inadequate ventilation, overoccupancy, or excess water vapour
generated elsewhere in the house. Water ingress usually means
faulty or blocked rainwater goods, roof, valley, or in some cases
window detailing. And there are other possibilities.

So more detail would help, as would a good look over the rainwater
goods and roof.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Would a 1930's house have cavity walls?

I was brought up in three different semi-detached houses that were
built in 1928 (2) and 1930. Two had cavity walls. The smallest of
the three, which was obviously built to a lower price, did not. That
was the one built in 1930.