Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice sought for small external rendering gap

Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.

Here's a quick picture I snapped on my phone:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b

My question to you experts is simply: what's the best way to deal with
this?

I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

Thanks all!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.

Here's a quick picture I snapped on my phone:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b

My question to you experts is simply: what's the best way to deal with
this?

I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

Thanks all!

Plaster isn't water proof so it won't last long outside.
IIRC render is a lime/cement mortar which you can also buy in bags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.
http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b
I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

For such a small bit, I'd just use a mortar mix (~6 parts sand to 1
cement) to fill the missing section. You can dapple the surface to get a
similar effect to the existing render.
I beleive the DIY stores sell a small ready mixed bag of mortar for
around £3, or a bag of cement at £4, and a bag of builders sand at £1.50
would do it.
Dont make the mix too strong or it'll crack.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:14:33 -0700, dekobock wrote:

Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.

Here's a quick picture I snapped on my phone:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b

My question to you experts is simply: what's the best way to deal with
this?

I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

Thanks all!

==================================
A bag of sand and a small bag of cement will do the patching. Mix about 4
or 5 parts sand to 1 of cement and water; apply with a trowel.

I would suggest that you get somebody (e.g. a knowledgeable builder) to
take a look at the lower part of the render as it appears to be bridging
your damp-proof course (if present) and the visible airbrick appears to be
at least partly filled with render.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr, 20:14, wrote:
Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.

Here's a quick picture I snapped on my phone:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b

My question to you experts is simply: what's the best way to deal with
this?

I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

Thanks all!

Dear dekob
The point made later on dpc is valid and well observed.
but if you have not had a problem then there is an arguement to leave
it. To solve the "problem" of the bridged dpc you will need to find it
and the bit of absent plaster is the ideal location to look. It also
looks to me that the external levels are higher than originally the
case with the addtion of paviours so you could start about 2" above
them! GLs should be 150mm below the dpc so you may have to remove
the paviours close to the house to "comply" (or simply ignore it if
there are no symptoms of damp). Additionally, in theory, you should
remove all render actually bridging the dpc! to do this you would put
on a batten at dpc level and cut upwards at say 45 degrees with an
angle grinder so as there is an ovehang of render off which the rain
can drip when you have removed a 2" strip of render (or all below the
dpc) covering the dpc. Lots and lots of work for possibly no return
just to comply with good building practice.
Back to render
I would do as follows:
1) key the existing surface by raking out mortar joints 20mm and
undercut the edges (like a dental filling)
2) spatter coat of 1part Portland cement I part bagged lime 6 parts
graded sand for plastering ( you need so little that I would scrounge
these or if you have to get a 2 kg bag of sand and cement mix from
DIY store and add scrounged lime
3) apply some EXTERNAL (type4) pva (better with SBR) to both the mix
and the surface and chuck on a 10mm splatter dash
4) let it set but not dry and add layers to the finish level leaving
it distressed to match the existing
decorate in a few weeks' time
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.

Here's a quick picture I snapped on my phone:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b

My question to you experts is simply: what's the best way to deal with
this?

I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

Thanks all!

Brush the surface with a 4:1 water/pva mix. Get a bag of general purpose
mortar from B&Q. Mix it fairly thick. Ignore your friend's advice :-)

Nail a piece of ply or whatever to the right hand wall to give you an
edge to render to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Since having a small wall removed as part of a new front drive there's
a small gap in the external rendering of my 1930s semi.

Here's a quick picture I snapped on my phone:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/81945...2db4c21c49781b

My question to you experts is simply: what's the best way to deal with
this?

I've been advised by a (non-expert) friend to just buy some read-mixed
plaster from Homebase and slop it on. But do I not need to insulate it
in some way? Or would a small gap like this not need much more than a
bit of plaster?

Thanks all!

This is where the ply goes BTW :-)

http://i30.tinypic.com/9beptk.jpg

Cement rendering advice ? Nick UK diy 2 May 6th 07 11:51 PM
insulating external rendering kd UK diy 6 October 23rd 06 07:43 PM
Cement mix for rendering external walls in winter.....? morgan UK diy 2 December 8th 03 10:49 PM
External Rendering Steel "Beads" Rusting through render Chris Vowles UK diy 3 July 31st 03 01:43 PM