Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plug chain stuck in sink overflow

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote in

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom
sink's plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so
far. The overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there
are no bits I can remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the
chain up earlier but it snapped when pulled and so half is still left
down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

It's hardly a solution to the retrieval problem but you might want to fill
the sink to the overflow and see if the remnants of the chain are actually
making a difference to the effectiveness of the overflow.

If it doesn't make any difference, you can then be noble and explain that,
whilst it's an enormous inconvenience and potential flood hazard, these
things happen and a reasonable, easy going guy like you understands that
kids will be kids.

It won't fix the sink but you ought to be in for a few brownie points.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Just leave it. As long as it doesn't block the flow of water through
the overflow, it isn't doing any harm.

Kids, eh? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
m...
The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I

can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Adam

I would leave it where it is as it is most unlikely that it would cause any
problems. It is only a bit of chain and I cannot see it blocking any water
flow.

If you are really determined to get it out then you could probably get at it
by removing the combined waste/overflow fitting and fish it out from the
bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I
can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Just leave it. As long as it doesn't block the flow of water through
the overflow, it isn't doing any harm.

The overflow is blocked. It works but very slowly.

Kids, eh? ;-)

Sweet little things. Not

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"ARWadworth" wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I
can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Just leave it. As long as it doesn't block the flow of water through
the overflow, it isn't doing any harm.

The overflow is blocked. It works but very slowly.

In which case, your only option is to remove the waste fitting and
fish it out from below (as someone else here suggested).

Kids, eh? ;-)

Sweet little things. Not

The more love they receive, the better they get. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

The more love they receive, the better they get. ;-)

And... Playstation != love.

--
Si - XV535

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
"ARWadworth" wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom
sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far.
The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I
can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but
it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Just leave it. As long as it doesn't block the flow of water through
the overflow, it isn't doing any harm.

The overflow is blocked. It works but very slowly.

In which case, your only option is to remove the waste fitting and
fish it out from below (as someone else here suggested).

I cannot do that. The overflow is an integral part of the sink ceramics and
feeds out just below where the plug sits through a small hole. The whole of
the overflow is part of the sink unlike my kitchen sink that has a serarate
pipe from the overflow. This hole is a long way up from the waste trap.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote:

Bruce wrote:

The more love they receive, the better they get. ;-)

And... Playstation != love.

If you really think that, "There may be problems ahead ...".

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote:

In which case, your only option is to remove the waste fitting and
fish it out from below (as someone else here suggested).

I cannot do that. The overflow is an integral part of the sink ceramics and
feeds out just below where the plug sits through a small hole. The whole of
the overflow is part of the sink unlike my kitchen sink that has a serarate
pipe from the overflow. This hole is a long way up from the waste trap.

In that case, all I can suggest is removing the sink from the wall and
smashing it into tiny bits, probably on the child's head.

From this you will probably conclude that I share your frustration.

:-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:12:21 GMT, "ARWadworth"
wrote:

I cannot do that. The overflow is an integral part of the sink ceramics and
feeds out just below where the plug sits through a small hole. The whole of
the overflow is part of the sink unlike my kitchen sink that has a serarate
pipe from the overflow. This hole is a long way up from the waste trap.

Adam

How about lowering a narrow magnet down the plug hole and trying to attract the
end of the chain out ????

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
news

"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

[...]

Have you actually removed the waste from the sink to see how big the holes
are?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
In which case, your only option is to remove the waste fitting and
fish it out from below (as someone else here suggested).

I cannot do that. The overflow is an integral part of the sink ceramics
and feeds out just below where the plug sits through a small hole. The
whole of the overflow is part of the sink unlike my kitchen sink that has
a serarate pipe from the overflow. This hole is a long way up from the
waste trap.

The answer was saying to remove the WHOLE waste fitting from the outlet hole
of the sink, you will then be able to pull the chain fromm the sink outlet
and then re assemble. I think we are (most of us) familiar with the type of
'double skinned' basin of which you speak. I cannot see how a chain will
restrict the flow of the overfloe. Maybe there was 'stuff' in there before.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I cannot do that. The overflow is an integral part of the sink ceramics and
feeds out just below where the plug sits through a small hole. The whole of
the overflow is part of the sink unlike my kitchen sink that has a serarate
pipe from the overflow. This hole is a long way up from the waste trap.

Adam

How about lowering a narrow magnet down the plug hole and trying to attract the
end of the chain out ????

More than likely the chain will be of brass.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

[...]

Rare earth magnet? Assuming the chain is ferous.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:23:56 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

How about lowering a narrow magnet down the plug hole and trying to attract the
end of the chain out ????

More than likely the chain will be of brass.

Damn !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

The more love they receive, the better they get. ;-)

And... Playstation != love.

If you really think that, "There may be problems ahead ...".

;-)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174629.aspx

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr, 15:56, "ARWadworth" wrote:
The overflow is blocked. It works but very slowly.

Block the outlet, and fill the overflow with enough strong alkali to
dissolve the chain (assuming brass) and any other gunk in there. Even
if the chain doesn't entirely dissolve, you may restore adequate
flow. You'd probably need something quite powerful - and dangerous!

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:25:19 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Adam

===================================
Fill the sink with water, allow it to start draining and
then use a plunger, whilst keeping the sink topped up with water. On my
sinks this treatment usually sends a jet of water shooting up the
overflow. It will probably create enough turbulence to dislodge the chain
and send it to join all the other junk in the sewerage system.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:25:19 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom
sink's
plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far.
The
overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I
can
remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but
it
snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Adam

Whilst the hole in the waste appears small - the cavity in the ceramic is
huge (to allow for a variety of waste fittings). Disconnect pipe - undo nut
and push it up through wash basin. Remember to reseal the bottom end (nut).
If in doubt go to B&Q and examine various wash basins to see what you are
dealing with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

a bicycle spoke
is sometimes better than a coathanger
as it has a tichy hooky bit on the end
which would hook into the hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174629.aspx

You got me going there. SQL allows the two common syntaxes for
not-equal - the 'C' language one, "!=", and the ...err... don't know
where it came from . C predates SQL by 20 years or so.

Good luck with the chain, Adam.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:20:46 UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174629.aspx

You got me going there. SQL allows the two common syntaxes for
not-equal - the 'C' language one, "!=", and the ...err... don't know
where it came from . C predates SQL by 20 years or so.

I first came across in BCPL, which naturally pre-dates C by quite a
way.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:20:46 UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174629.aspx

You got me going there. SQL allows the two common syntaxes for
not-equal - the 'C' language one, "!=", and the ...err... don't know
where it came from . C predates SQL by 20 years or so.

I first came across in BCPL, which naturally pre-dates C by quite a
way.

I first came across in a Basic in 1979 although I don't know what
that pre-dates.

--
Howard Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:48:50 UTC, Howard Neil
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:20:46 UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174629.aspx

You got me going there. SQL allows the two common syntaxes for
not-equal - the 'C' language one, "!=", and the ...err... don't know
where it came from . C predates SQL by 20 years or so.

I first came across in BCPL, which naturally pre-dates C by quite a
way.

I first came across in a Basic in 1979 although I don't know what
that pre-dates.

It doesn't pre-date C (early 1970s) or BCPL (mid 1960s).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:56:24 GMT, ARWadworth wrote:

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom
sink's plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I hope that said child as been suitably repremanded. Removal of some
privalidge for 24hrs, like TV or Playstation should do it. Mind you
girlfriend or you will then (shock horror) have to provide alternative
"entertainment" rather than just dumping him down...

The overflow is blocked. It works but very slowly.

What type of chain is it? Proper links looped together or that bobbly
stuff? I wouldn't expect linked loops to break very easyly but they would
be the easiest to try an hoik out with a bit of stiff wire with a hook
formed on the end. The bobbly stuff, think you'll have to take the trap
and waste off to get direct access to the lower opening in the ceramic. It
might not be very nice in the gap beind the waste...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message aZOdnTn12Z2-A5bVnZ2dnUVZ8v3inZ2d@plusnet, Howard Neil
writes
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:20:46 UTC, Andy Champ wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms174629.aspx

You got me going there. SQL allows the two common syntaxes for
not-equal - the 'C' language one, "!=", and the ...err... don't know
where it came from . C predates SQL by 20 years or so.

I first came across in BCPL, which naturally pre-dates C by quite
a way.

I first came across in a Basic in 1979 although I don't know what
that pre-dates.

I think there were some in my John Bull printing set which predates them
all ...

(yes, I've just been watching Stephen Fry on Gutenberg again)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I first came across in a Basic in 1979 although I don't know what
that pre-dates.

It doesn't pre-date C (early 1970s) or BCPL (mid 1960s).

CORAL (66) and ALGOL (older) use

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 04:05:24 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I first came across in a Basic in 1979 although I don't know what
that pre-dates.

It doesn't pre-date C (early 1970s) or BCPL (mid 1960s).

CORAL (66) and ALGOL (older) use

On looking, BCPL and CPL were about 1964. But I suspect was also, as
you say, in ALGOL 58! I have the Revised Report at work somewhere...!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT [was Plug chain stuck in sink overflow]

geoff wrote in

I think there were some in my John Bull printing set which predates
them all ...

(yes, I've just been watching Stephen Fry on Gutenberg again)

Excellent wasn't it, though I was intrigued to hear him say something like,
"...no matter what the number of the page one turns to..." when there
weren't any page numbers in the Gutenberg Bible. Odd how one's assumptions
crash over what is plainly visible in front of one's eyes. As with so many
things...

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
[...]

I finally got it out It was the bobbly type. A mixture of stripped back 4mm
earth wire shoved up the lower end and a length of 2.5mm cable bent into a
hook from above managed to shift it.

As for punishment. Lets see I charge £40 for the first hour and £30 an
hour after that. 3 hours in total.

He must be the only 4 year old without a playstation!

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
... The bobbly stuff, think you'll have to take the trap and waste off
to get direct access to the lower opening in the ceramic. It might not be
very nice in the gap beind the waste...

... but small children have small fingers...

Owain

But bless the child. He got a cracking love bite on his forehead a few
months ago when he had a play with my Henry vacuum cleaner. The words "It's
his school photo on Monday what shall I do?" as spoken by my girlfriend
bring happy memories.

Job done. Only 3 hours of messing about.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote:

But bless the child. He got a cracking love bite on his forehead a few
months ago when he had a play with my Henry vacuum cleaner. The words "It's
his school photo on Monday what shall I do?" as spoken by my girlfriend
bring happy memories.

Job done. Only 3 hours of messing about.

Ah, bless. I'm sure he's worth all that effort. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

But bless the child. He got a cracking love bite on his forehead a few
months ago when he had a play with my Henry vacuum cleaner. The words
"It's
his school photo on Monday what shall I do?" as spoken by my girlfriend
bring happy memories.

Job done. Only 3 hours of messing about.

Ah, bless. I'm sure he's worth all that effort. ;-)

I am going to wait until he buys his own house and then post my recently
retrieved broken plugchain down his sink overflow

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"ARWadworth" wrote:

But bless the child. He got a cracking love bite on his forehead a few
months ago when he had a play with my Henry vacuum cleaner. The words
"It's
his school photo on Monday what shall I do?" as spoken by my girlfriend
bring happy memories.

Job done. Only 3 hours of messing about.

Ah, bless. I'm sure he's worth all that effort. ;-)

I am going to wait until he buys his own house and then post my recently
retrieved broken plugchain down his sink overflow

Don't forget to coat it liberally with 2-part epoxy. ;-)