Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterton Boiler

Since 2000 we have had a Potterton Suprima 80 boiler. It worked fine
for 5 years, but since 2005 it has been slowly collapsing. We have had
3 PCBs, the last one fitted 10 days ago and the boiler still continues
to lock out. We have had 3 thermistors and associated sensors as well.
Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what could be the problem
here. My plumber, who fitted it is struggling with it as well?

TIA
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
John Edgar writes
Since 2000 we have had a Potterton Suprima 80 boiler. It worked fine
for 5 years, but since 2005 it has been slowly collapsing. We have had
3 PCBs, the last one fitted 10 days ago and the boiler still continues
to lock out. We have had 3 thermistors and associated sensors as well.
Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what could be the problem
here. My plumber, who fitted it is struggling with it as well?

Lockout is the endpoint of most failures

The question is at what point in the cycle is it failing ?

Is the latest one you bought the new module c/w side panel ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr, 19:39, geoff wrote:
In message
,
John Edgar writesSince 2000 we have had a Potterton Suprima 80 boiler. It worked fine
for 5 years, but since 2005 it has been slowly collapsing. We have had
3 PCBs, the last one fitted 10 days ago and the boiler still continues
to lock out. We have had 3 thermistors and associated sensors as well.
Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what could be the problem
here. My plumber, who fitted it is struggling with it as well?

Lockout is the endpoint of most failures

The question is at what point in the cycle is it failing ?

Is the latest one you bought the new module c/w side panel ?

--
geoff

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I cannot tell you when it is failing as I cannot
stand by the boiler and watch it. All I know is that it appears to be
completely random - I can discern no pattern. Up until 11 days ago,
when we had the 3rd PCB fitted, it locked out on a daily basis,
sometimes twice / day. The new PCB was fitted on 08/04 at 17.00 and we
had a lockout that evening at 21.00, then no more until yesterday,
when we had 2. As far as I know the last 2 boards have been the new
kind, with the little black reset button and not the "grey dish" reset
button.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:51:21 -0700, John Edgar wrote:

On 18 Apr, 19:39, geoff wrote:
In message
,
[...]

Seeing as you have as a new board and sensors maybe you should check
(just as a formality really) that the boiler is not actually getting too
hot. And the flame sensing is OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, John
Edgar writes
On 18 Apr, 19:39, geoff wrote:
In message
,
[...]

Do you mean the new white module with a square reset button or the
5102160 with a 1/4" circular reset button ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr, 18:15, geoff wrote:
In message
, John
Edgar writes

On 18 Apr, 19:39, geoff wrote:
In message
,
[...]

geoff- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it has the black, square re-set button.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, John
Edgar writes
On 20 Apr, 18:15, geoff wrote:
In message
, John
Edgar writes

On 18 Apr, 19:39, geoff wrote:
In message
,
[...]

sharp intake of breath

.... time to dig deep and buy a new one then

--
geoff

Potterton 80 Boiler Geoffitaylor UK diy 26 December 10th 05 11:56 PM
Potterton Boiler sue45 UK diy 1 August 20th 05 08:37 PM
Potterton Boiler Graeme Proctor UK diy 8 May 17th 04 11:33 PM
potterton boiler B & Z METALCRAFT UK diy 2 March 3rd 04 07:31 PM
potterton boiler Ronald Walters Home Repair 1 December 12th 03 08:39 PM