Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bi-Fold Doors - hanging on hinges?

Ever used bi-fold interior doors?

I'm in the process of planning the next room to do up, the downstairs
loo. It's kinda small, and I want to box in the pipes and fit a
concealed cistern, and tile floor and walls to match. All to try and
make it feel bigger and more modern.

But this means moving the tiny sink further towards the (opening-
inwards) door and it will clash. I've thought of hinging the door the
other side, but that will not give a very wide opening to get into the
toilet. I also thought of hinging the door top open outwards into the
hall, but there is a safety aspect there, with two small kiddies
running around.

So I had the idea of replacing the standard 30" door with a bi-fold
internal type as sold by Wickes/B&Q/Magnet etc
We've got some of these on our airing cupboard and they work OK, and
slide in a top rail, with a floor mount pivot.

Do they always mount like this? Or can I simply hang the pair of
doors on 3 standard hinges, in a standard door frame? I am only
talking basic white primed hollow door, not a heavyweight solid type.

Have you ever seen this done? Does it work?

Painters10

Bi-Fold Doors - hanging on hinges? [email protected] UK diy 1 April 18th 08 06:44 PM
Hanging a door - Hinges Arthur2 UK diy 4 December 29th 07 07:51 PM
Replacing bi-fold doors with conventional doors [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 25th 06 03:45 AM
Convert Bi-Fold Doors to Small French Doors Marc Woodworking 5 December 12th 05 08:21 PM
Bi-Fold doors Jquinn UK diy 2 June 20th 05 11:30 PM