Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bi-Fold Doors - hanging on hinges?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:55:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Ever used bi-fold interior doors?

Yes, but only once.

I've fitted half a dozen at least and repaired half a dozen more.

Why have you posted this twice? Daft question google fecking
groups...

I wondered that as well :-)

Do they always mount like this? Or can I simply hang the pair of
doors on 3 standard hinges, in a standard door frame?

I think you will find there is a very good reason they do all mount like
that.....

I think you'll run into problems unless the door frame is *exactly*
plumb (left to right and front to back) and square. You can probably
set fixed hinges such that the door is fine closed *or* open but not
both, bi-fold doors are weird things when you open/close 'em.

Exactly. Chances of getting two sets of opposite acting hinges to work
properly is remote.

Fiddling about moving ordinary hinges a mm in/out of the jamb or a mm
further away or in is not simple. Doing it with the adjustable top and
bottom pivots and a plumb line is *much* easier.

Indeed. The top & bottom pivots are the key to them working properly.
There isnt anything on the floor except in the corner under the door.

Two points. You can't really trim bi-fold doors to fit the opening. The
opening has to be adjusted to fit the door. Second, watch out for the
bottom pivot. Its a threaded metal thingy that is screwed into a threaded
plastic insert in the door. Very easy to strip the thread in the plastic
insert. The last two sets I fitted were from Homebase & seemed much better
because the plastic insert was bigger.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk