Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a door - Hinges

Hi all.
Cutting the recesses for the hinges at the mo'
Just curious. All of the 'How tos' I've seen instruct
us to cut the hinge recesses on the door and the frame.
Is it 'abnormal' to cut a recess in the door only? so
the both halves of the hinge will recess into the door
and the door frame would not need recessing?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
Cutting the recesses for the hinges at the mo'
Just curious. All of the 'How tos' I've seen instruct
us to cut the hinge recesses on the door and the frame.
Is it 'abnormal' to cut a recess in the door only? so
the both halves of the hinge will recess into the door
and the door frame would not need recessing?

Thanks.

Arthur

Actually you should recess the hinges fully in the frame,makes it easier
when the doors get changed for some other doors in the future ie you can
leave the hinges on the frame then all you have to do is slightly wedge the
door off the floor and screw hinges to door. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:

Hi all.
Cutting the recesses for the hinges at the mo'
Just curious. All of the 'How tos' I've seen instruct
us to cut the hinge recesses on the door and the frame.
Is it 'abnormal' to cut a recess in the door only? so
the both halves of the hinge will recess into the door
and the door frame would not need recessing?

Thanks.

Arthur

What you suggest would *work* - but would also shout "obviously not fitted
by a craftsman" - 'cos the hinges would be standing proud of the frame.
What's the problem with recessing the frame? It's basically the same
technique as recessing the door - but simpler 'cos you don't have to hold it
in a workmate while you're doing it!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
Hi all.
Cutting the recesses for the hinges at the mo'
Just curious. All of the 'How tos' I've seen instruct
us to cut the hinge recesses on the door and the frame.
Is it 'abnormal' to cut a recess in the door only? so
the both halves of the hinge will recess into the door
and the door frame would not need recessing?

Thanks.

Arthur

Arthur2,

Not the norm for doorways but often used on kitchen cabinets, wardrobes and
other furniture.

After saying that, providing you are not hanging a heavy door, then it's ok
to do - but in my opinion harder to get right, can be troublesome for
maintenance work at a later date and not very aesthetic.

As a matter of interest, many door and frame 'sets' made and assembled in
the joinery shop prior to on-site fixing are done this way.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Arthur2 wrote:

Hi all.
Cutting the recesses for the hinges at the mo'
Just curious. All of the 'How tos' I've seen instruct
us to cut the hinge recesses on the door and the frame.
Is it 'abnormal' to cut a recess in the door only? so
the both halves of the hinge will recess into the door
and the door frame would not need recessing?

Thanks.

Arthur

What you suggest would *work* - but would also shout "obviously not fitted
by a craftsman" - 'cos the hinges would be standing proud of the frame.
What's the problem with recessing the frame? It's basically the same
technique as recessing the door - but simpler 'cos you don't have to hold it
in a workmate while you're doing it!

Not only that, having the recesses in the frame makes it much easier to
hang the bugger - since they carry most of the weight and keep it in
place while you do up the screws.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re Hanging a Door Vince Home Repair 3 December 25th 05 06:09 PM
Hanging a door Stephen UK diy 3 December 20th 05 11:26 PM
Hanging a door chemqueries Home Repair 3 October 1st 05 03:04 PM
hanging a door [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 1st 05 02:39 PM
2 door hinges for weight internal door? LLim UK diy 0 January 6th 04 10:23 PM