Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mixer tap problem

I've got a mixer tap on a bath but i've trouble getting hot water from
it. The only way to get the hot is to turn the mixer to the hot
extreme. Once the hot is on you can turn it about 1/2cm and it then
becomes moderately warm. Any further and its just cold.

I'm think that the problem would be the hot water coming from a tank
in the loft, about 10 feet above the bath, while the cold comes from
the mains. I think that when the cold is on it overwhelms the hot and
prevents it from flowing. Does this sound the most likely cause or
could it be the tap itself?

Would sorting this just be a case of reducing the pressure on the cold
tap? And if so what would be the best way to do this?

thanks,
Fod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I've got a mixer tap on a bath but i've trouble getting hot water from
it. The only way to get the hot is to turn the mixer to the hot
extreme. Once the hot is on you can turn it about 1/2cm and it then
becomes moderately warm. Any further and its just cold.

I'm think that the problem would be the hot water coming from a tank
in the loft, about 10 feet above the bath, while the cold comes from
the mains. I think that when the cold is on it overwhelms the hot and
prevents it from flowing. Does this sound the most likely cause

Yes

or could it be the tap itself?

possible

Would sorting this just be a case of reducing the pressure on the cold
tap? And if so what would be the best way to do this?

The cheapest way is to restrict the flow, to avoid the expense if fitting a
pressure reducer - this will result in reduced presssure when there is flow.
You can do this with an isolating valve. It won't be perfect, like a
pressure reducer, but it will probably do. If there is no isolator, try
turning the stopcock until it's only just open and the kitchen tap (say)
slows to the same rate as the hot tap, or slower, and see how the mixer tap
works. If it's better, fit an isolator/valve and restrict the flow locally.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 02:24:32 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I've got a mixer tap on a bath but i've trouble getting hot water from
it. The only way to get the hot is to turn the mixer to the hot
extreme. Once the hot is on you can turn it about 1/2cm and it then
becomes moderately warm. Any further and its just cold.

I'm think that the problem would be the hot water coming from a tank
in the loft, about 10 feet above the bath, while the cold comes from
the mains. I think that when the cold is on it overwhelms the hot and
prevents it from flowing. Does this sound the most likely cause or
could it be the tap itself?

Would sorting this just be a case of reducing the pressure on the cold
tap? And if so what would be the best way to do this?

thanks,
Fod

Disconnect the cold tap from the mains and reconnect it to the cold
tank in the roof that the hot uses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote:

I've got a mixer tap on a bath but i've trouble getting hot water from
it. The only way to get the hot is to turn the mixer to the hot
extreme. Once the hot is on you can turn it about 1/2cm and it then
becomes moderately warm. Any further and its just cold.

I'm think that the problem would be the hot water coming from a tank
in the loft, about 10 feet above the bath, while the cold comes from
the mains. I think that when the cold is on it overwhelms the hot and
prevents it from flowing. Does this sound the most likely cause or
could it be the tap itself?

Would sorting this just be a case of reducing the pressure on the cold
tap? And if so what would be the best way to do this?

thanks,
Fod

Disconnect the cold tap from the mains and reconnect it to the cold
tank in the roof that the hot uses.

But don't brush your teeth with it once you've done that :-(

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote:

[...]

Would this do the trick?

http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/pdf/afl...0&cat=z&scat=z

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 9:08*pm, "Jeff" wrote:

Disconnect the cold tap from the mains and reconnect it to the cold
tank in the roof that the hot uses.

But don't brush your teeth with it once you've done that :-(

Jeff

Do you often brush your teeth in the bath?

MBQ

mixer tap problem oopsie UK diy 10 December 5th 06 07:57 PM
Mixer tap problem - no cold flow borntorun75 UK diy 6 April 23rd 06 09:42 PM
Shower mixer problem Eddie UK diy 2 September 20th 05 01:36 PM
Mixer shower problem orbis UK diy 5 June 14th 05 11:33 AM
Mixer problem jakdedert Electronics Repair 2 February 11th 04 10:06 PM