Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor tile grout

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to colour floor
tile grout, please. I do not need a huge amount and the closest colour
I can find is "sandstone" in B and Q but in a 5kg bag! There are
smaller packages but in white or grey and, ideally, I need a dark
brown or even black.

Any ideas of how to colour these, please?

Many thanks,

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to colour floor
tile grout, please. I do not need a huge amount and the closest colour
I can find is "sandstone" in B and Q but in a 5kg bag! There are
smaller packages but in white or grey and, ideally, I need a dark
brown or even black.

Any ideas of how to colour these, please?

Many thanks,

Peter

Cement dyes should work, or soot. You could probably use a powder paint
from an art shop
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Peter wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to colour floor
tile grout, please. I do not need a huge amount and the closest colour
I can find is "sandstone" in B and Q but in a 5kg bag! There are
smaller packages but in white or grey and, ideally, I need a dark
brown or even black.

Any ideas of how to colour these, please?

Many thanks,

Peter

Cement dyes should work, or soot. You could probably use a powder paint
from an art shop

I tried colouring emulsion with powder paint once: amazing how much of it
you need to actually colour anything, but did manage some nice wall
paintings in the end. Had to spray lacquer over to seal though.

If you are only needing a little: Indian Ink might be sufficient and you can
often get it quite cheaply in those always 'just closing down' book/art
shops like 'The Works'.

The 'Early Learning Centre' used to do big pots of powder paint quite
cheaply, if you do decide on that line: but these of course would not be
water proof, and even if you mixed them as if they were pigments, in a non
aqueous solution like varnish, you would still find they managed to run if
you spilt water on them and then scuffed.

I expect that a 'proper' black pigment would turn out to be lamp
black/soot/charcoal, as noted by Stuart, and as used in many black things
such as tyres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
[...]

Easy enough to buy 500gms of Feb black oxide cement dye, but that would
probably leave 499 gms unused :-)
They say beech soot is a nice browny black, much prized by artists IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to colour floor
tile grout, please. I do not need a huge amount and the closest colour
I can find is "sandstone" in B and Q but in a 5kg bag! There are
smaller packages but in white or grey and, ideally, I need a dark
brown or even black.

Any ideas of how to colour these, please?

A better option would be to use the 1kg bag from the Mapei range at
Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20036/...le-Adhesive-Gr
out/Wall-Adhesive-Grout/Ultracolor-Plus-Grout-Brown-1kg

They have beige as well.
£3.29, I use it whenever I am grouting, and find it really good.
Alan.