Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Posit: Electricity now cheaper than home heating oil

I read on BoilerJuice.com that electricity is now cheaper than oil for
home heating.

Comments?

(Oil price estimate today: 53.90 pence per litre for 10000 litres.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:47:08 +0100, MM wrote:

I read on BoilerJuice.com that electricity is now cheaper than oil for
home heating.

Comments?

(Oil price estimate today: 53.90 pence per litre for 10000 litres.)

Paid 48.85 last week just before a 2.5p price rise was applied (+ 5% VAT).

It's close, burn a litre of kero in and hour you get about 10kw of energy.
So divide the p/l price by 10 for the cost/kwhr but that does not take
into account boiler effciency or rather lack off...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:01:27 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:47:08 +0100, MM wrote:

I read on BoilerJuice.com that electricity is now cheaper than oil for
home heating.

Comments?

(Oil price estimate today: 53.90 pence per litre for 10000 litres.)

Paid 48.85 last week just before a 2.5p price rise was applied (+ 5% VAT).

It's close, burn a litre of kero in and hour you get about 10kw of energy.
So divide the p/l price by 10 for the cost/kwhr but that does not take
into account boiler effciency or rather lack off...

Thing is, the lecky companies have just increased their prices, so
they are likely to remain the same for the foreseeable future. There
would be a major political outcry if the companies increased the
prices yet again, after the 12/14/17% increases. However, I reckon
that heating oil is the Cinderella fuel that no one cares about. One
never sees headlines about the massive hike in home heating costs with
this fuel as one sees with gas and electricity. And so I firmly
believe the oil price is likely to just keep on rising. And if the
dollar still stays weak, then oil will soon become so exorbitant a
luxury that the government will have a real crisis on its hands. I
expect right now there are thousands of pensioners and others on low
wages or on benefits who are borderline hypothermia cases already,
especially as this winter has been (and continues to be) so miserable
and cold.

I have decamped to my computer room, normally the smallest bedroom for
families with a young child. But it costs a lot less to heat a box
room with a fan heater than a relatively massive sittting room. At the
moment I'm keeping nice and warm on around 8p an hour (thermostat on
fan heater), plus the heat from the computer and UPS. Tomorrow, one of
the computers is going to go, and I'll bring my bed in here as well.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:38:53 +0100, MM wrote:

It's close, burn a litre of kero in and hour you get about 10kw of
energy. So divide the p/l price by 10 for the cost/kwhr but that does
not take into account boiler effciency or rather lack off...

Thing is, the lecky companies have just increased their prices, so
they are likely to remain the same for the foreseeable future.

Possibly, but I'm only paying 8.415p/unit for leccy, so with oil a
5p+/unit, not taking into account boiler inefficiency, the gap isn't very
big.

However, I reckon that heating oil is the Cinderella fuel that no one
cares about.

Well no one uses it for heating do they? I wonder what the percentages
are between gas, electric, solid and oil for space heating are.

One never sees headlines about the massive hike in home heating costs
with this fuel as one sees with gas and electricity.

This is true, I've had 4 deliveries of 2000l of oil since Jan 2007, each
time the price has been significantly higher than the last:

Jan 2007 28.12
Jun 2007 30.25 7% rise
Dec 2007 40.59 34% rise
Apr 2008 48.85 20% rise

Overall a 73% rise in just over a year. So all you lot on mains gas
squealing about a 20% rise, think again.

oil will soon become so exorbitant a luxury that the government will
have a real crisis on its hands.

With diesel now hitting 115 to 120p/l and petrol about 6p lower there is
going to be an helluva a pressure upwards on prices for everything. I hope
they are thinking about it, they "delayed" the 2p/l duty hike on road
fuels due on 1st April in the budget but it's going to take more than that
to ease the pressure.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
[...]

When we installed an oil fired Stanley around 1997 our first fill of oil
was 9.5p p/l around a £110 for the tankfill!! so that makes 550% increase
in 11 years **** me that's hyperinflation!

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:53:49 +0100, "Dieseldes"
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.net...
[...]

Yep, and one of the neighbours said to me recently they'd just filled
their tank at 50p a litre and the driver said the industry reckoned it
would be a pound a litre by 2009. The drivers fear for their jobs as
customers drop oil heating like a hot potato. Competition won't cut
it, because the price is largely due to the weak dollar and Opec
refusing to pump any more.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:11:53 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Well no one uses it for heating do they?

Eh? (Splutter!)

Only 1.5 million households in the UK do!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...rss&feed=money

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:53:32 +0100, MM wrote:

Well no one uses it for heating do they?

Eh? (Splutter!)

Only 1.5 million households in the UK do!!

'Twas with tongue in cheek. But how many heat by Gas, 'lectric or solid
Fuel? I've had a bit of a google but not found anything.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...udget?gusrc=rs
s&feed=money

Inaccurate in a couple of places but what does one expect from a
newspaper.

You can buy oil by installments, it's generally not offered as a method of
payment as the price is, and always has been, rather volatile and not
under control of the seller.

There is no "... 5 per cent duty on home heating oil for the elderly." or
anybody else for that matter. There is no duty on home heating oil full
stop. There is 5% VAT, just like all other domestic fuels.

--
Cheers
Dave.