Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic to metal drainpipe adapters??

Hi All,
I recently noticed that the exterior wall of my house is damp all the
way down behind the drainpipe that comes down from the roof guttering.
On closer inspection the guttering collecting the rain off of the roof
is plastic half round stuff that feeds into an old metal downpipe
which goes down the side of the house into the drains. The plastic
gutter feed/outlet into the top of the metal pipe looks like its been
bodged into the metal downpipe with about 12 tubes of sealant, the
water is coming out of this joint and running down the outside of the
pipe, hitting the brackets that hold the pipe to the wall and getting
onto the wall. I want to replace the top half of the metal downpipe
with plastic stuff so I was going to buy a new gutter outlet section
and a 2 or 3 metre length of plastic downpipe. That will solve the
leaking from the joint problem but then can I join the plastic
downpipe to the metal one with a watertight seal. Is there a connector
or something that would do this?? I would replace all of the metal
pipe but it disappears into a jungle of a bush then into a concreted
off section that I'd have to dig up presumably to get to the drain so
I'm trying the easier option first.
Thanks for any help or advice, Steve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

steve573 wrote:
[...]

Bite the bullet & replace the lot. Otherwise its replacing one bodge with
another. Hack the bush down & you will probably be able to get the metal
pipe out without too much trouble.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"steve573" wrote in message
[...]

You need to confirm the dimensions but if its 3" cast-iron pipe and a
plastic gutter outlet for 68mm pvc pipe the plastic spigot should fit inside
the cast-iron. Shouldn't need sealing in that case unless the downpipe is
choked (likely). Anyway you can get proper adapters for 68mm pvc to 3" CI.
eg BES p/n 12311 or just use the spigot of a pcv connector piece eg BES p/n
12308.

If the dimensions are different same principle but harder finding the parts.
The secret is to avoid the need for sealing by running one one part into the
next.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message
news5CdnaUM6781kJzVnZ2dnUVZ8sijnZ2d@plusnet...

"steve573" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a blockage causing it to back fill and run over?

Fixing metal to plastic tim\(yet another new home\) UK diy 25 November 22nd 06 11:19 PM
Cutting a hole in a metal/iron drainpipe Scratch UK diy 7 August 9th 06 09:27 PM
Mixing plastic and metal js5895 Home Ownership 0 April 19th 06 10:16 PM
metal coated plastic RJ Metalworking 3 February 22nd 06 10:14 PM
plastic vs. metal junction boxes [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 22nd 05 11:09 PM