Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light switch with built in timer - convert to flourescent ?

I've got to replace a light in the kitchen, 100W incandescent, with a
flourescent tube. Currently the switch to the light is a nifty
combined timer/switch. Bought at B&Q a few years ago. It's made by
Kingshield (Couldn't find a link). It uses the bulb to complete the
circuit and power the clock/timer. It can be set to work just as a
switch, or to come on and off at set times.

I'm loath to lose the timer functionality, but can anyone suggest a
way of getting it to work with a flourescent. My initial thought is to
use a 240V relay to switch the flourescent, and use the switch to work
the relay. Because the relay will pass a small current, the switch
will stay powered.

Good idea ? Bad idea ? Or is there a better way ?

FWIW, it's a little galling that with the immenent demise of
incandescent bulbs, and CFLs appearing everywhere, there is still
little support for them wrt to dimmers, timers, switches etc .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
I've got to replace a light in the kitchen, 100W incandescent, with a
flourescent tube. Currently the switch to the light is a nifty
combined timer/switch. Bought at B&Q a few years ago. It's made by
Kingshield (Couldn't find a link). It uses the bulb to complete the
circuit and power the clock/timer. It can be set to work just as a
switch, or to come on and off at set times.

I'm loath to lose the timer functionality, but can anyone suggest a
way of getting it to work with a flourescent. My initial thought is to
use a 240V relay to switch the flourescent, and use the switch to work
the relay. Because the relay will pass a small current, the switch
will stay powered.

Good idea ? Bad idea ? Or is there a better way ?

Sounds like a nifty idea, if you can find a relay that will pass enough
quiescent current to power the electronics and not switch until you want
it to. Might be worth measuring the current draw of the switch when open.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
[...]

I don't know if it is a better way, but an easier way is to buy a new
switch Sainsbury's sell some that work with fluorescents (made by
Smith's I think), though I don't know if they have the exact same
functionality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Jethro writes
[...]

Http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Lighting_Contr
ols/index.html (with the fluorescent light adapter)
--
Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr, 22:41, robert wrote:
In message
,
Jethro writes

[...]

Robert- Hide quoted text -

This did the trick perfectly ! And it was small enough to tuck inside
the housing - I was well made up. Many thanks.

Switch timer does not work with flourescent bulb? [email protected] Home Ownership 4 January 17th 08 10:43 PM
Compact Flourescent and a Wall Switch Timer? Edward Home Repair 26 May 13th 07 10:53 PM
WTB: Timer Light Switch vortex2 UK diy 1 August 1st 06 01:39 PM
Timer for Light Switch?? [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 17th 06 05:05 AM
Light switch with built-in timer? Al Reynolds UK diy 20 December 8th 04 01:02 PM