Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WTB: Parquet Flooring in 1960's dimensions

Hi,

My 1960's house has some parquet/woodblock flooring in several rooms.

Pic here http://www.hernibles.com/parquet.jpg

I believe the generic style is called "finger basket". Each tile is
approximately 11"/280mm square. I have no idea what the exact wood is.

In the 1980's the house was extended, and as a result one room is half
parquet and half screed, and ever since has been carpeted.

I would like to reinstate the parquet, but am struggling to find any
supplier of this pattern with the correct dimensions.

......can anybody in uk.d-i-y land offer any pointers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

but am struggling to find any supplier of this pattern with the correct dimensions.

They're rectangular wooden blocks. Either buy larger blocks and get
them retrimmed, get lucky on ebay, or pay a joinery shop to make them
up for you.

The latter shouldn't be that extortionate for a few hundred blocks
(beyond the timber costs) as it's a very quick to machine type task,
thicknesser-table saw-chop saw.

The mismatch in the patina of age will show up though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 20:52:49 +0100, Vortex3 wrote:

I would like to reinstate the parquet, but am struggling to find any
supplier of this pattern with the correct dimensions.

Er, don't you just need matching size individual blocks and lay them in
that pattern... If you can't find them commercially any decent timber yard
will make some for you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parquet Flooring in 1960's dimensions

Vortex3 wrote in message
Hi,

My 1960's house has some parquet/woodblock flooring in several rooms.

Pic here http://www.hernibles.com/parquet.jpg

I think you should try a Salvage & Reclamation yard first
http://www.yell.com/
Lassco,s is a wondrous place to wonder around even if you don't find what
you went in for

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parquet Flooring in 1960's dimensions Solution found

.....can anybody in uk.d-i-y land offer any pointers?

Having spent the whole morning researching this, I have found that the
specific size I want has not been manufactured for a very very long time.

Yes I could get some blocks custom made, but with an area of 10m^2. That's
a big hassle.

I found a good alternate in a different size:
http://www.ukwoodfloors.co.uk/sample12.html

Completely different size but I will have to live with it. Order imminent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suggestion but a fair bit of work.

Consider lifting the blocks from another small room to patch the
extended room and relay the first room with new/reclaimed material of
whatever size you can get.

We did something on similar line with roof times when the old house
was altered. The front aspect looked like it had been there forever.

Parquet flooring Chaudhry Nijjhar Woodworking 3 October 3rd 07 01:52 PM
Parquet flooring. [email protected] UK diy 5 May 1st 06 10:44 AM
parquet flooring anonomous Home Repair 1 October 23rd 04 03:53 AM
Parquet flooring AJ's Daddy Home Repair 0 December 23rd 03 12:47 PM
2x4 parquet flooring cyber Home Ownership 2 July 16th 03 01:38 AM