Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Eco-wool insulation roll material

Prolly available elsewhere but B&Q have been promoting it recently. I
bought a roll to try and thought I'd offer a heads-up on it.

It is, as it says on the tin, completely non-irritating (well; unless you
have some allergy to the stuff it's made of: it's not itchy like glass
fibre or rockwool).

It's a bit like wool fleece, and its fibres are considerably stronger than
glass fibre & rockwool. This would make it good for lagging pipework,
tanks, cylinders etc where it wouldn't fall apart like glass fibre or
rockwool. However its strength is a serious disadvantage for insulating
stud walls or ceilings. A small bit of the wool caught between
plasterboard and stud where you're trying to fix the board with a
plasterboard screw is likely to wrap itself around the screw thread and
pull in more and more fibre until it builds up into a big wodge which
holds the board away from the stud, or breaks a chunk of board and/or
pulls it away if it's already screwed down nearby.

Not a problem if one nails the board rather than screws it but still a
problem anytime anyone tries to drill into the board: the fibre will wrap
round the drill bit.

I personally will stick to using it for lagging plumbing.

--
John Stumbles

I used to be forgetful but now I ... um ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-06 18:25:36 +0100, John Stumbles said:

[...]

Why do I have this feeling that you have had a recent and unfortunate
experience with a sheet of plasterboard, some eco-wool and a
screwdriver? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:38:13 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Why do I have this feeling that you have had a recent and unfortunate
experience with a sheet of plasterboard, some eco-wool and a screwdriver? ;-)

Because I have had this recent unfortunate experience with ...
grrr!

:-)

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that