Bob Smith \(UK\)

Default Polystyrene insulation roll

I was thinking of putting some of that 2mm polystyrene roll on the outside
walls before I wallpaper.

Has anyone ever used this before? Does it actually stop condensation? I
have a condensation problem in winter, behind wardrobes, drawers, pictures
etc.

Bob

nick smith

"Bob Smith (UK)" wrote in message
I was thinking of putting some of that 2mm polystyrene roll on the outside
walls before I wallpaper.

Has anyone ever used this before? Does it actually stop condensation? I
have a condensation problem in winter, behind wardrobes, drawers, pictures
etc.

Bob

I have used it and am sure it makes a significant difference, although have no
supporting evidence.
I used it in a bedroom cupboard that had north and east facing walls which were
solid walls
and it always felt cold in winter and had black "mould" in the corners,
presumably from condensation
aiding growth - after, it seemed warmer and the mould didn't come back although
we did do several
other things around the house, improving ventilation and warmth and extracting
moisture at source
(shower / cooker etc).
Have to be aware that it is "soft" and will puncture easily, so best not fitted
where liable to impacts.
I also use the foil backed stuff behind radiators on outside walls as I reckon
that must help loss through
the wall at that point too, by keeping the wall cooler from radiated and
convected heating.

Nick

mrcheerful

"Bob Smith (UK)" wrote in message
I was thinking of putting some of that 2mm polystyrene roll on the outside
walls before I wallpaper.

Has anyone ever used this before? Does it actually stop condensation? I
have a condensation problem in winter, behind wardrobes, drawers, pictures
etc.

Bob

The real answer is to increase ventilation, most older houses now have all
the natural ventilation of draughty windows and doors sealed up and their
chimneys blocked, the lofts insulated and sealed off.

Put in some air bricks, put auto extractor fans in kitchens and bathrooms
and all the problems will disappear.

You will probably be very disappointed with thin polystyrene under the
paper.

mrcheerful

chris French

In message , "Bob Smith
(UK)" writes
I was thinking of putting some of that 2mm polystyrene roll on the outside
walls before I wallpaper.

Has anyone ever used this before?

no, but we did have it on some of the walls in this house when we bought
it. We have removed it during redecoration and not replaced it.

Does it actually stop condensation?

I've never noticed any problem with condensation on those walls it has
gone from.

have a condensation problem in winter, behind wardrobes, drawers, pictures
etc.

I suspect you need to improve ventilation.
It's a 30's semi, not as draughty as it was , but not draught proof by
any means, but we have an extractor in the bathroom and kicthen
--
Chris French, Leeds
logized

"Bob Smith (UK)" wrote in message
I was thinking of putting some of that 2mm polystyrene roll on the outside
walls before I wallpaper.

Has anyone ever used this before? Does it actually stop condensation? I
have a condensation problem in winter, behind wardrobes, drawers, pictures
etc.

Bob

Tried it many years ago on a cold wall, as far as I can remember it was ok
but was easily damaged and was difficult to remove when I re-wallpapered -
it resisted the steam wallpaper stripper, messy to remove (lots of
polystyrene bits everywhere).
You could try using a low power tubular heater at the base of the cold wall
or get cavity wall insulation if applicable.

Dave