Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slate tiles - any reclaim value?

My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London, obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed
semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago
that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London,
obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Have a look on ebay... look at completed items for a price guide.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London, obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

They will obviously have some value. You can phone a reclamation yard
for a quote.

Last time I did that for some concrete pan tiles I had over, I was
quoted a "buy" price of £100 per thousand (and a "sell" price of £200 /
per k). I expect you will get more for slate.

(in the end I did a deal with a neighbour - took 1100 tiles off my roof,
shifted them 5 houses round the close, and let him stick em back on
his roof in exchange for £150) ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 2, 10:58 pm, Mike Harrison wrote:
My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London, obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Are they actually having all new slates on? Usually on a slate reroof
the original slates would be reused - it's usually the nails and laths
that have deteriorated. I'd expect 75% of the slates to be reused at
least - that's one of the advantages of slate as a material.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
" writes
On Apr 2, 10:58 pm, Mike Harrison wrote:
My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere
ages ago that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London,
obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Are they actually having all new slates on? Usually on a slate reroof
the original slates would be reused - it's usually the nails and laths
that have deteriorated. I'd expect 75% of the slates to be reused at
least - that's one of the advantages of slate as a material.

The overlap part of used slate can soften and return to grey clay.
Tapping gently should produce a ring rather than a dull thud. I
recovered around 75% as above when re-roofing some Victorian farm
buildings.

18" x 9" were 50p ea. from salvage people but harder to find than 20" x
10". There were some cheap Chinese imports about at the time. They were
almost black and lacking any character.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed
semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago
that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London,
obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Re roofing is worked out by the m2 (square meter) also how many hips and
valleys there are. It also depends on the type of slates or tiles to be
used. Plus scaffolding and waste disposal skip.

The sound salvaged slates do have a reclaim value. But before you think of
profit, they have to be sorted, carried down off the roof and then
transported to the roofing merchant or reclaim yard. You don't get many in a
car plus they are very dirty and heavy. The bigger the slates the more they
are worth.

Also check to see if any salvaged slates haven't been allowed for in the
quote or make sure you demand them. Its usual to let the Slater or tiler
have them as a bit of gratuity do to the inconvenience of sorting the sound
slates and getting them down to the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Apr 2, 10:58 pm, Mike Harrison wrote:
My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed
semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages
ago that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London,
obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Are they actually having all new slates on? Usually on a slate reroof
the original slates would be reused - it's usually the nails and laths
that have deteriorated. I'd expect 75% of the slates to be reused at
least - that's one of the advantages of slate as a material.

And who guarantees the slates ?
From my experience the max you re use is more like 40% and to get the other
60% you need 100% to get 60% sound slates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:58:23 GMT, Mike Harrison
wrote:

My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed semi.
From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago that these may have
significant salvage value - is this the case?
Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London, obviously in variable condition
hance need for replacement?

Ask a reclaimer who deals with them.

When the council did the roofs here they reckon they got 500 quid a
pallet for the old ones. Was wicked watching them throw and stack
them.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Laminate slate tiles MartinB UK diy 12 September 22nd 07 10:48 AM
Slate tiles - you get what you pay for? A.Lee UK diy 9 August 28th 07 11:08 PM
Cutting slate tiles Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 7 January 31st 07 03:34 PM
Cutting slate tiles [email protected] UK diy 10 August 18th 05 10:09 AM
Slate Wall Tiles Willi UK diy 6 March 3rd 05 08:48 PM