Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting slate tiles

Hi all,
What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?
The tiles are to be fitted into a fireplace for a woodburner to sit on.

Cheers
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?
The tiles are to be fitted into a fireplace for a wood burner to sit on.

Slate is a fairly soft stone but laminar. Rooftiles can be easily cut
with an axe over a metal bar anvil but the thicker stuff will fracture
badly. Get a diamond angle grinder and cut half way through it then
bend it.

Use the grinder to soften the cut edge afterwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?
The tiles are to be fitted into a fireplace for a wood burner to sit on.

Slate is a fairly soft stone but laminar. Rooftiles can be easily cut
with an axe over a metal bar anvil but the thicker stuff will fracture
badly. Get a diamond angle grinder and cut half way through it then
bend it.

Use the grinder to soften the cut edge afterwards.

I have a Diamond wheel on my grinder, thought it might clog up within a
few seconds of cutting slate, but if its OK then the jobs a goodun.

Cheers
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?
The tiles are to be fitted into a fireplace for a woodburner to sit on.

I've only cut up to 1/2" slate but it's relatively soft and very easy to cut
with an electric tile cutter.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Hi all,
What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?
The tiles are to be fitted into a fireplace for a woodburner to sit on.

Cheers
Pete

You can just about do that on a cheap electric tile saw.

I have, in an emergency, uses it to cut 30mm sandstone slabs, and
extensively on 8mm slate tiles.

It will be very slow though.

I have also hired angle grinders - big ones - with diamond cutting
blades. Fast but far less accurate.

If you already have an electric tile saw (and everyone should: They are
only about £30 these days) I would gird up thine loins, and for the few
tiles to be cut, use that.

Otherwise hire what you need. A BIG electric tiles saw - maybe a 12"
diamond blade - would be ideal..but the rental may not be far off what a
smaller one costs to buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 12:50, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I know this doesn't help the questioner, but I had a similar problem
many years ago and asked the stone mason who was building the chimney
for me. He sent me off to a local company giving me detailed
instructions on how to get there. I arrived expecting to find a small
almost backstreet organisation having some stone cutting equipment -
what I found were some half dozen 12 feet diameter diamond stone saws,
stone cutting lathes and what really caught my eye was a guy doing
piercing work on a large stone slab with a Dremel like tool. The
whole place was quite an eye opener.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 11:08, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
wrote:

What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?

Electric wet tile saw. Plasplugs plastic ones seem to last better
than the all-steel non-Plasplugs ones.
Slate is easy to cut with almost anything, but these are easier to
control than a hand-held grinder.

Don't leave the saw wet after use though, or the blade rusts in no
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What would be the best tool for cutting slate tiles up-to about 1" thick?

Electric wet tile saw. Plasplugs plastic ones seem to last better
than the all-steel non-Plasplugs ones.
Slate is easy to cut with almost anything, but these are easier to
control than a hand-held grinder.

Don't leave the saw wet after use though, or the blade rusts in no
time.

I have one of them plasplugs one. It's not been used for a couple of
years now but hopefully it will still be OK.

I'll take both grinder and tile cutter just in case.
:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

how to remove slate tiles [email protected] UK diy 2 January 28th 07 07:32 PM
Laying and Cutting Slate Tiles [email protected] UK diy 12 December 19th 06 07:54 AM
Cutting slate tiles [email protected] UK diy 10 August 18th 05 10:09 AM
Slate Wall Tiles Willi UK diy 6 March 3rd 05 08:48 PM
Cutting and laying slate tiles for a hearth Gidon UK diy 9 November 4th 03 10:59 PM