Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default installing new toilet with macerator

I'll shortly be installing a new toilet/washbaisin into a disused
downstairs room using a macerator, question I have is, will it be OK
to run the 32mm waste pipe clipped along the exterior house wall for
5m, or does it have to be buried?

we dont get an auful lot of frost here on Anglesey the sea seems to
keep us above freezing for the most!!

thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 16:34, Staffbull wrote:
I'll shortly be installing a new toilet/washbaisin into a disused
downstairs room using a macerator, question I have is, will it be OK
to run the 32mm waste pipe clipped along the exterior house wall for
5m, or does it have to be buried?

*we dont get an auful lot of frost here on Anglesey the sea seems to
keep us above freezing for the most!!

thanks.

I've just been looking up, and apparentley I have to discharge into
the soil stack. The reason I am fitting a macerator is that the soil
stack is on the other side of the house with the manhole (yes the one
I posted about the drain) in the middle (outside!) so much easier to
tap into the manhole, infact the only way I can do it!!
I take it it's not allowed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:05:34 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
Staffbull wrote this:-

On 31 Mar, 16:34, Staffbull wrote:
I'll shortly be installing a new toilet/washbaisin into a disused
downstairs room using a macerator, question I have is, will it be OK
to run the 32mm waste pipe clipped along the exterior house wall for
5m, or does it have to be buried?

Personally I would go for the ones which discharge into 22mm pipe.
This is relatively easy to put through the inside of a house. Copper
pipe is best.

Provided it is laid to the right fall, not too steep and not too
shallow, it should drain adequately and thus not be liable to
freezing. However, I would rather adopt an internal run and avoid
the question all together.

What do the instructions say about pipe sizes for various lengths of
run?

I've just been looking up, and apparentley I have to discharge into
the soil stack. The reason I am fitting a macerator is that the soil
stack is on the other side of the house with the manhole (yes the one
I posted about the drain) in the middle (outside!) so much easier to
tap into the manhole, infact the only way I can do it!!
I take it it's not allowed?

I don't see why not, if done properly. The connection to the manhole
would be a standard sized soil pipe sticking up a little above the
ground to reduce the velocity as the discharge enters the manhole.
The connection inside would mean connecting one of the plastic
blanks or modifying the benching of a brick manhole.

I wouldn't take the discharge of a macerator directly into a manhole
for it to spray all over the brickwork/plastic(/myself working on
the manhole) as it emerges from a small bore pipe.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
I'll shortly be installing a new toilet/washbaisin into a disused
downstairs room using a macerator, question I have is, will it be OK
to run the 32mm waste pipe clipped along the exterior house wall for
5m, or does it have to be buried?

we dont get an auful lot of frost here on Anglesey the sea seems to
keep us above freezing for the most!!

thanks.

Use a commercial unit the domestic units are crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 17:30:36 +0100, David Hansen
said:

I wouldn't take the discharge of a macerator directly into a manhole
for it to spray all over the brickwork/plastic(/myself working on
the manhole) as it emerges from a small bore pipe.

Semper in excretum, sed alto variat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 17:49:04 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Staffbull" wrote in message

I'll

shortly

be installing a new toilet/washbaisin into a disused
downstairs room using a macerator, question I have is, will it be OK
to run the 32mm waste pipe clipped along the exterior house wall for
5m, or does it have to be buried?

we dont get an auful lot of frost here on Anglesey the sea seems to
keep us above freezing for the most!!

thanks.

Use a commercial unit the domestic units are crap.

as it were....

Matt, you are slow.

Faster than you, it would appear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y