Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TLC Direct - delivery times ?

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Thanks :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-30 23:46:31 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Thanks :-}

45 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?
Thanks :-}

45 minutes.

I don't think standing at the counter counts for my purposes
unfortunately :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Thanks :-}

16 hours. Delivered 8am.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Thanks :-}

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I want in
stock.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?
16 hours. Delivered 8am.

Impressive !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?
Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I want in
stock.

I'll check out if i've got one nearby in a sec, but in the meantime
:-} (ans: no, I don't)

Do you happen to know whether the Xpelair SL100 (slim) fan range has a
shutter supplied with it ? - the more expensive LV100 range appears
to, but I can't find any documentation that mentions it for the SL...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-30 23:52:35 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?
Thanks :-}

45 minutes.

I don't think standing at the counter counts for my purposes
unfortunately :-}

That was a phone call and a delivery. They happened to have what I
wanted on a van.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I want in
stock.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've only ever ordered stuff for delivery from
TLC, and don't quite know what sort of a setup their branches are. Is it
possible/normal/accepted practice to just turn up and ask for stuff, or
should one have placed an order first? If the latter, is there some
minimum time that they like between order and pickup? I ask because
after running out of my "stock" from a big TLC order, I had to buy a
couple of bits from B & Q and am determined not to pay their prices
again if I can help it.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Verdon
d wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I
want in stock.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've only ever ordered stuff for delivery
from TLC, and don't quite know what sort of a setup their branches are.
Is it possible/normal/accepted practice to just turn up and ask for
stuff, or should one have placed an order first? If the latter, is
there some minimum time that they like between order and pickup? I ask
because after running out of my "stock" from a big TLC order, I had to
buy a couple of bits from B & Q and am determined not to pay their
prices again if I can help it.

Just turn up.

I have pre-ordered once to pick-up and they didn't have a record of the
order at the branch.

In my experience the queues can be lengthy if you get someone in front
of you that has no idea what they want. It's not the type of place where
all the stock is on display. Get a catalogue first and/or search their
web pages for the part numbers.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Couple of days... (may take longer if they need to order stuff in - my
last one was a week)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I
want in stock.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've only ever ordered stuff for delivery from
TLC, and don't quite know what sort of a setup their branches are. Is it
possible/normal/accepted practice to just turn up and ask for stuff, or

Yup.

should one have placed an order first? If the latter, is there some

No need - I expect most of their trade just wanders in.

minimum time that they like between order and pickup? I ask because
after running out of my "stock" from a big TLC order, I had to buy a
couple of bits from B & Q and am determined not to pay their prices
again if I can help it.

understandable!

The shops are pretty much like Maplin was about 25 years ago - a small
amount of stuff on display but fixed to the walls etc, and a large
counter. Just ask for what you want and the bods will look on the
computer and wander off and find it for you. Works even better if you
have a list with order codes on it!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:46:31 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Mostly next day, very occasionally two days, but I think that has more to
do with the Post Office and the fact that we live out in the sticks.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I
want in stock.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've only ever ordered stuff for delivery
from TLC, and don't quite know what sort of a setup their branches
are. Is it possible/normal/accepted practice to just turn up and ask
for stuff, or should one have placed an order first? If the latter,
is there some minimum time that they like between order and pickup? I
ask because after running out of my "stock" from a big TLC order, I
had to buy a couple of bits from B & Q and am determined not to pay
their prices again if I can help it.

I just turn up & ask for what I want. Seems like a lot of people do the
same, sometimes a small queue. Its just a counter. I find them quite
friendly & helpful.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I
want in stock.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've only ever ordered stuff for delivery
from TLC, and don't quite know what sort of a setup their branches
are. Is it possible/normal/accepted practice to just turn up and ask
for stuff, or

Yup.

should one have placed an order first? If the latter, is there some

No need - I expect most of their trade just wanders in.

minimum time that they like between order and pickup? I ask because
after running out of my "stock" from a big TLC order, I had to buy a
couple of bits from B & Q and am determined not to pay their prices
again if I can help it.

understandable!

Homebase is much worse!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 07:25:26 +0100, The Wanderer said:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:46:31 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Mostly next day, very occasionally two days, but I think that has more to
do with the Post Office and the fact that we live out in the sticks.

Within a certain distance of branches, they deliver themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 07:25:26 +0100, The Wanderer said:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:46:31 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Mostly next day, very occasionally two days, but I think that has more to
do with the Post Office and the fact that we live out in the sticks.

Within a certain distance of branches, they deliver themselves.

TLC deliveries of internet orders seems to have improved enormously over
the last few months. Not sure what they have changed in their system.

I now almost always get next day delivery, last year it could take 2-4 days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:46:31 +0100
Colin Wilson o.uk
wrote:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Thanks :-}

Here in rural Cumbria, I depend of fast on-line mail order, very few
counters within 100 miles, and none of the low cost suppliers.

TLC, BES (plumbing) and Screwfix all seem to be able to get things to
me here in 24 hours or so.

When TLC made a small human mistake with an order, they corrected it by

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 07:25:26 +0100, The Wanderer said:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:46:31 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Mostly next day, very occasionally two days, but I think that has more to
do with the Post Office and the fact that we live out in the sticks.

Within a certain distance of branches, they deliver themselves.

TLC deliveries of internet orders seems to have improved enormously
over the last few months. Not sure what they have changed in their
system.

I now almost always get next day delivery, last year it could take 2-4 days.

Amazing if they are still using Parcelfarce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?

Dunno, I have a branch about a mile away, always seem to have what I
want in stock.

I'll check out if i've got one nearby in a sec, but in the meantime
:-} (ans: no, I don't)

BTW, You can get a deal on many of the catalouge prices in my local branch
if you ask.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone remember what the turnaround time was for their first order ?
Couple of days... (may take longer if they need to order stuff in - my
last one was a week)

Sods law, one of the items I was after from TLC is out of stock until
tomorrow - but taking delivery gets hard then because we're in work
(god knows what'll happen to the stuff if we're not in to accept it)

Same goes for bloody screwfix - ordered two items (having moved most
of my order to TLC), leaving a shower and chrome towel rad - by the
time I got to work, they'd rung to say the shower was out of stock...

Thanks for the replies by the way everyone :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:21:08 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

Here in rural Cumbria, I depend of fast on-line mail order, very few
counters within 100 miles, and none of the low cost suppliers.

Trying to think which bit of "rural cumbria" is more than 100 miles, even
round trip, from electrical or plumbing trade counters. You'd be hard
pushed to be as remote as I am but Carlisle, Penrith or Hexham are all
still less than a 60 mile round trip...

Plumb Centre & City Electrical Factors have branches in Barrow, Kendal,
Workington, Carlisle, Penrith. B&Q all those but Kendal. That covers most
DIY bases and I think all of cumbria at a 50 mile radius from them. Not to
mention the independant builders merchants as well.

But of course 60 miles at 42p/mile (real cost of running my car, 14p/mile
fuel only) is the same as a £25 (£8.40 fuel) delivery charge. I try to be
organised and combine visits to shops into one trip off The Moor...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sods law, one of the items I was after from TLC is out of stock until
tomorrow - but taking delivery gets hard then because we're in work
(god knows what'll happen to the stuff if we're not in to accept it)

Small update on this:

I've been extremely impressed with TLC and the way they handled my
order. I'd sent an email late on Monday night to say it might be
awkward be taking delivery at my home address with the order being
delayed until one of the bits was back in stock, and would they be
able to change the delivery address:

Sorted, zero hassle, and it was delivered this morning to the correct
alternative address :-)

I must be in a good mood tonight for some unknown reason (i'm a
miserable b*stard), but I suppose i'd better throw in some props for
Screwfix too - despite what I wanted being out of stock, they were
very efficient and friendly on the phone, and were able to initially
delay the rest of the order, then a few calls later, resume the order
with the out of stock bits removed, again without any hassle.

Delivery times - plumbworld ? Colin Wilson UK diy 4 March 5th 08 08:38 PM
[off topic] Stats showing letter delivery times? Stu Cooper UK diy 52 December 21st 06 12:20 AM
Home Delivery B&Q Stuart UK diy 8 October 18th 06 12:45 PM
Delivery Notification: Delivery has been successful PMDF e-Mail Interconnect UK diy 0 December 12th 03 04:25 AM
Screw Fix delivery times Maximus Glutimus UK diy 27 September 2nd 03 10:36 PM