RzB

Default Stanley bits...

I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination
Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg

They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them.
Anyone know what they might be for?

Many thanks,
Roy

Alan Holmes

"RzB" wrote in message
I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination
Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg

They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them.
Anyone know what they might be for?

As I can't easily get to the web, could you please describe them.

Alan

Many thanks,
Roy

PoP

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:16:29 +0100, "RzB"
wrote:

I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination
Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg

They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them.
Anyone know what they might be for?

I found the following web page where the 050 is mentioned:

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/record.html

Look under the 044 to see the description.

Might these objects be the blade clamp that is referred to?

PoP

Noel Hegan

"RzB" wrote in message ...
I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination
Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg

They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them.
Anyone know what they might be for?

Many thanks,
Roy

Roy,

Best place to post this would be on rec.woodworking at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...ec.woodworking

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
RzB

Noel,
Apols for the delay....

Yes, I did post to rec.woodworking but got zero replies!

Interestingly I was in Pennyfarthings in Salsbury - they
deal in all sorts of old tools... I had these items with me
and asked the guy in the shop if he knew what they were.
He had no idea. Anyway, I browed round the shop and
there in a cabinet were the very same items! With a tag
saying "Adjustable Bit Gauge - £9.50". Unfortunately no
one in the shop (owner away on hols) was able to shed
any light on what they are for. I will return in a few weeks
time and discuss with the owner. I wonder what an
Adjustable Bit Gauge does... Hmmm...

Roy

"Noel Hegan" wrote in message
m...
"RzB" wrote in message

I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination
Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg

They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them.
Anyone know what they might be for?

Many thanks,
Roy

Roy,

Best place to post this would be on rec.woodworking at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...ec.woodworking

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net

Paul Mc Cann

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:21:53 +0100, "RzB"
wrote:

Noel,
Apols for the delay....

Yes, I did post to rec.woodworking but got zero replies!

Interestingly I was in Pennyfarthings in Salsbury - they
deal in all sorts of old tools... I had these items with me
and asked the guy in the shop if he knew what they were.
He had no idea. Anyway, I browed round the shop and
there in a cabinet were the very same items! With a tag
saying "Adjustable Bit Gauge - £9.50". Unfortunately no
one in the shop (owner away on hols) was able to shed
any light on what they are for. I will return in a few weeks
time and discuss with the owner. I wonder what an
Adjustable Bit Gauge does... Hmmm...

Roy

"Noel Hegan" wrote in message
om...
"RzB" wrote in message

I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination
Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg

They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them.
Anyone know what they might be for?

Many thanks,
Roy

Roy,

Best place to post this would be on rec.woodworking at:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...ec.woodworking

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net

Look like some type of depth stop to me ,

Try browsing through http://www.supertool.com/index.htm or perhaps
contacting the site owner.

Regards

Paul Mc Cann
Richard Tibbitt

"RzB" wrote:

Noel,
Apols for the delay....

Yes, I did post to rec.woodworking but got zero replies!

Interestingly I was in Pennyfarthings in Salsbury - they
deal in all sorts of old tools... I had these items with me
and asked the guy in the shop if he knew what they were.
He had no idea. Anyway, I browed round the shop and
there in a cabinet were the very same items! With a tag
saying "Adjustable Bit Gauge - £9.50". Unfortunately no
one in the shop (owner away on hols) was able to shed
any light on what they are for. I will return in a few weeks
time and discuss with the owner. I wonder what an
Adjustable Bit Gauge does... Hmmm...

Fascinating stuff - a bit of googling leads me to suspect that they
are used as a depth stop for auger bits when assembled like this

http://www.toolsrules.com/ST49ABG.jpg

or http://www.toolsrules.com/ST49BG.JPG

& clamped round the bit like this (albeit completely different model)

http://www.toolsrules.com/ST47BG.JPG.

Would they fit round an auger bit with it projecting out beyond the
two curved 'feet' parts (i.e. diagonally down & to the left in the
first image link above) ?

Let us all know if that seems likely.

--
Richard Tibbitt
Strathdon, Scotland
John Armstrong

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:00:18 +0100, Richard Tibbitt wrote:

"RzB" wrote:

[...]

Looks a bit (no pun intended) cumbersome. Think I'll stick to wrapping
some tape around the bit at the appropriate depth.
RzB

Paul/Richard/John,
Thanks for your interest... Yes indeed... It is a depth stop.
I must say that I agreed with John about being cumbersome
and the old masking tape trick seems a lot easier.
Hower once I had the thing in place I was amazed at how
simple it was to adjust and how well it worked. Just slacken
off the wingnuts and screw the guide up or down as necessary.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/GuideOnBit-1.jpg

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/GuideOnBit-2.jpg

Many thanks for solving the problem...
Roy

Noel Hegan

"RzB" wrote in message ...
Paul/Richard/John,
Thanks for your interest... Yes indeed... It is a depth stop.
I must say that I agreed with John about being cumbersome
and the old masking tape trick seems a lot easier.
Hower once I had the thing in place I was amazed at how
simple it was to adjust and how well it worked. Just slacken
off the wingnuts and screw the guide up or down as necessary.

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/GuideOnBit-1.jpg

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/GuideOnBit-2.jpg

Many thanks for solving the problem...
Roy

Roy,

Every day is a school...
What threw me was the fact that the bits came with the plane and
therefore I automatically assumed.....although I still didn't know
what they were.
Glad you got it sorted.

Swarfless drill bits Alex UK diy 2 August 14th 03 10:12 AM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM
Rotozip bits Tony Collins UK diy 3 July 5th 03 08:48 PM
Long drill bits chris French UK diy 0 July 5th 03 08:29 AM