Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default DG Sealed unit replacement

Hi all

The outside pane of glass in one of our fanlight windows has cracked. Once
the weather improves I 'm planning to take the whole window to a local
double glazing place and get them to take out the sealed unit to
repair/replace. Never having doen this before, how much should I be looking
at paying, the glass is 55 x 41 cm with a couple of georgian bar strips in
it. (I live in Surrey)

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all

The outside pane of glass in one of our fanlight windows has cracked. Once
the weather improves I 'm planning to take the whole window to a local
double glazing place and get them to take out the sealed unit to
repair/replace. Never having doen this before, how much should I be
looking at paying, the glass is 55 x 41 cm with a couple of georgian bar
strips in it. (I live in Surrey)

Don't know about the cost but is the window frame UPVC? If so the glass
comes out independantly to the frame. Unclip the beading and remove the
glass. If you don't want to do this yourselves have a look in your phone
book / Yellow pages for a "Window Doctor" / "Window Medic" type of company.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

Hi all

The outside pane of glass in one of our fanlight windows has cracked. Once
the weather improves I 'm planning to take the whole window to a local
double glazing place and get them to take out the sealed unit to
repair/replace. Never having doen this before, how much should I be looking
at paying, the glass is 55 x 41 cm with a couple of georgian bar strips in
it. (I live in Surrey)

Around £50-75 for the glass. I doubt you'll get the frame out easily,
and not with the glass in-situ, though do you mean it is an opening
window, and you are taking all of the opening bit out?
It'd be easier to just remove the glass.They can be a bit stiff to get
out sometimes, but it is usually possible without breaking anything.
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Around £50-75 for the glass. I doubt you'll get the frame out easily,
and not with the glass in-situ, though do you mean it is an opening
window, and you are taking all of the opening bit out?
It'd be easier to just remove the glass.They can be a bit stiff to get
out sometimes, but it is usually possible without breaking anything.
Alan

Yes, It's an opening window and I was looking at taking the frame and glass
out by unscrewing it from the hinge, only appears to be 6 screws holding the
unit in place. I've had a look through the forum and thought this would be
easier than tackling the beading myself.

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
Around £50-75 for the glass. I doubt you'll get the frame out easily,
and not with the glass in-situ, though do you mean it is an opening
window, and you are taking all of the opening bit out?
It'd be easier to just remove the glass.They can be a bit stiff to get
out sometimes, but it is usually possible without breaking anything.

Yes, It's an opening window and I was looking at taking the frame and glass
out by unscrewing it from the hinge, only appears to be 6 screws holding the
unit in place. I've had a look through the forum and thought this would be
easier than tackling the beading myself.

Fair enough then, if that's the case. It can certainly be a right sod
to get the beading out; I can vividly remember the first time I ever had
to do it! For a one-off you're as well to let the glazier do it.

Having said that - thinking further, if you do it that way, you'll
probably be without a window for a few days, whereas if you can get the
beading off yourself you can then measure the dimensions of the sealed
unit, including the thickness (pretty well impossible to do with the
beads in situ) and then order up the replacement - then you don't have
to remove the window until you've got the new unit in your hands.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message

... For a one-off you're as well to let the glazier do it.

Having said that - thinking further, if you do it that way, you'll
probably be without a window for a few days,

I doubt it, they'll understand the need for speed and can do it very
quickly.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For a 900 x 500 with georgian bar I was quoted £22.00 supply only

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ALex" wrote in message
For a 900 x 500 with georgian bar I was quoted £22.00 supply only

Last time I had a sealed unit replaced, the glazier came out & measured up.
After making the unit they came back & fitted it, taking the old one away.
All included in the price.

Meant I wasn't without a window at all.

HTH

Dom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"ALex" wrote in message
For a 900 x 500 with georgian bar I was quoted £22.00 supply only

Hi Alex

Who was that with ??

Cheers

jim