Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting a stained internal door white

Hi all,

I've changed the door theme from stained to white upstairs with all
new doors.
This leaves me with an unsatisfactory stained theme downstairs and
white theme upstairs.

I have a few downstairs doors with 15 small glass panes which I would
like to paint white. (I'll replace the unglassed doors.)
I've never been greatly successful with masking tape or paint-guards.

Comments please on the following approaches:
1. Don't be particularly careful painting around the glass edges, then
use a razor blade type scraper.
2. I hear some new making tapes are much better - less paint creep
underneath; less spoiling on removal. But still a LOT of work to put
on !
3. Use of paint/stain remover - seems like a lot of work with
scraping, etc.
4. Any other ideas

I've been advised I will likely need 2 undercoats and 2 top coats to
go from stained to white. Agreed ?

Will brown putty behind the glass likely go unnoticed ?

Thanks,

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've changed the door theme from stained to white upstairs with all
new doors.
This leaves me with an unsatisfactory stained theme downstairs and
white theme upstairs.

I have a few downstairs doors with 15 small glass panes which I would
like to paint white. (I'll replace the unglassed doors.)
I've never been greatly successful with masking tape or paint-guards.

Comments please on the following approaches:
1. Don't be particularly careful painting around the glass edges, then
use a razor blade type scraper.

For what it's worth I al;ways do this on windows etc. I find it much
quicker than masking etc, but others may disagree.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've changed the door theme from stained to white upstairs with all
new doors.
This leaves me with an unsatisfactory stained theme downstairs and
white theme upstairs.

I have a few downstairs doors with 15 small glass panes which I would
like to paint white. (I'll replace the unglassed doors.)
I've never been greatly successful with masking tape or paint-guards.

Comments please on the following approaches:
1. Don't be particularly careful painting around the glass edges, then
use a razor blade type scraper.

For what it's worth I al;ways do this on windows etc. I find it much
quicker than masking etc, but others may disagree.

But it is a dreadful job if the glass isn't plain (e.g. if it is reeded,
wavy or any other pattern) - often even the "flat" side isn't.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
John wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Put a sliver of machine grease over it then. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've changed the door theme from stained to white upstairs with all
new doors.
This leaves me with an unsatisfactory stained theme downstairs and
white theme upstairs.

I have a few downstairs doors with 15 small glass panes which I would
like to paint white. (I'll replace the unglassed doors.)
I've never been greatly successful with masking tape or paint-guards.

A piece of Tin or a thin blade utility and push it against the glass,with a
1" brush paint the wood