Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Festool because...

.... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

(According to partner on seeing them for the first time at Isaac Lord
this afternoon.)
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

Not if you smuggle it into the house and knock it around a bit before it's
identified by Border Control. Then you just insist you got it ages ago off
eBay, dead cheap, and it's been indispensable for several of the jobs she
recently made you do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Walker wrote:
Rod wrote:
... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

Not if you smuggle it into the house and knock it around a bit before it's
identified by Border Control. Then you just insist you got it ages ago off
eBay, dead cheap, and it's been indispensable for several of the jobs she
recently made you do.

OMG - what will happen when RFID tags are on everything? Smuggling in
might become much more difficult... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 21:46:31 +0000, "Steve Walker" said:

Rod wrote:
... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

Not if you smuggle it into the house and knock it around a bit before it's
identified by Border Control. Then you just insist you got it ages ago off
eBay, dead cheap, and it's been indispensable for several of the jobs she
recently made you do.

You need to make sure that you have a fitted cricket box if you want to
try this line.

Besides, deliberately spoiling a Festool product is not the thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

(According to partner on seeing them for the first time at Isaac Lord
this afternoon.)

There are less expensive places than Isaac Lord, however you have to go
a long way to get a better customer ethic than from the guys at their
trade counter. Even if you don't really know what you want because
you are not in the trade, they will help. They will even offer a
discount card on a first purchase, and there are none of the sharp
intake of breath games. I'm *really* picky about good service,
and I can't fault them in any way at all.

Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it is, I
can help you to justify it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 21:55:13 +0000, Rod said:

Steve Walker wrote:
Rod wrote:
... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

Not if you smuggle it into the house and knock it around a bit before
it's identified by Border Control. Then you just insist you got it
ages ago off eBay, dead cheap, and it's been indispensable for several
of the jobs she recently made you do.

OMG - what will happen when RFID tags are on everything? Smuggling in
might become much more difficult... :-)

RFID tags are to stop people from stealing packs of Penguin bars from Lidl.

You are moving in a different world now,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

(According to partner on seeing them for the first time at Isaac Lord
this afternoon.)

There are less expensive places than Isaac Lord, however you have to go
a long way to get a better customer ethic than from the guys at their
trade counter. Even if you don't really know what you want because
you are not in the trade, they will help. They will even offer a
discount card on a first purchase, and there are none of the sharp
intake of breath games. I'm *really* picky about good service,
and I can't fault them in any way at all.

Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it is, I
can help you to justify it.

I bought some screws there the other day - asked for fifty - got given a
bag of 100 and still under £2-00. If I had bought at a shed they would
have been that for a dozen. Yes - they are helpful.

But can you help pay? :-) The thing I actually want now-ish is a jigsaw.
But I simply cannot justify it to myself. I want it to make a curved top
to a bit of new fencing.

I was actually buying some of their PVA glue (not pound shop stuff :-) )
at £3-74 a Kg.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

But can you help pay? :-) The thing I actually want now-ish is a
jigsaw. But I simply cannot justify it to myself. I want it to make a
curved top to a bit of new fencing.

No Rod, you *need* it to make a curved top to a bit of new fencing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think it takes quite an educated eye to spot that Festool are
expensive. A casual glance at the lime green fittings and you could
pass it off as supermarket special.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

Singular curved top or several?

"That's solid timber that's going to last. If I buy a cheap jigsaw, I doubt
it will do the job. I might have to buy a second one."

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

Might be some mileage there. I did the original fence with a (very)
cheap Screwfix router - not ideal but it worked. Then its bearings came
apart and that was it - dead. So there is precedent...

(Damn - reminds me I want a 1/4 inch router as well.)
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

Ah. OK.

For a jigsaw, you would not be disappointed with a Bosch GST series.
These are in the £120-140 bracket vs the Festool £190-220 range.

If you have been using a wandering BD £40 job and wondering why you
ever bought it, then the Bosch will restore your faith in tool
manufacturers.

Either way, you could have bought a spindle moulder to do the
mouldings, and in comparison you will have saved a lot of money.

Women understand this concept. They save you a lot of money in the
January sales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 22:35:15 +0000, " said:

I think it takes quite an educated eye to spot that Festool are
expensive.

Thy are not expensive as a manufacturer, but are good value for money.

A casual glance at the lime green fittings and you could
pass it off as supermarket special.

Take a look. Touch. Feel. Use. You won't have the same opinion
then if you are honest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 23:00:39 +0000, Rod said:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

You could buy the Festool.

OTOH, for a respectable router range, the DW 625 and equivalents is to
the woodworking world as Ratzinger is to Catholics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A casual glance at the lime green fittings and you could
pass it off as supermarket special.

Take a look. Touch. Feel. Use. You won't have the same opinion
then if you are honest.

Oh I know how good they are - used the circular saws. But compare the
styling with something like Lamello - the latter *look* very expensive
even to the casual observer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

Makita 4350 takes some beating
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36392/...gsaw-720W-240V

If you have been using a wandering BD £40 job and wondering why you
ever bought it, then the Bosch will restore your faith in tool
manufacturers.

So will the Makita :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 23:36:51 +0000, " said:

A casual glance at the lime green fittings and you could
pass it off as supermarket special.

Take a look. Touch. Feel. Use. You won't have the same opinion
then if you are honest.

Oh I know how good they are - used the circular saws. But compare the
styling with something like Lamello - the latter *look* very expensive
even to the casual observer.

I know what you mean.

Lamello is Swiss precision with lots of controls for each function.
You can feel how the detents work. Turn them back to the same position
and you will get a cut with repeatability that can be measured to
0.05mm. For precise biscuit joints, there is nothing in the world to
touch it.

Festool is more German minimalist, but don't be fooled. It's like the
BMW with very little inside vs. the Lexus with "everything"

Either way, the target audience is not the casual observer....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

For a jigsaw, you would not be disappointed with a Bosch GST series.
These are in the £120-140 bracket vs the Festool £190-220 range.

Makita 4350 takes some beating

Yup another vote for that from me. Definitely a "smile tool" cos that is
what it leaves on your face everytime you use it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it is, I
can help you to justify it.

That's why we keep you around, Andy :-)

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian White" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it is, I
can help you to justify it.

That's why we keep you around, Andy :-)

Matt means he will justify it whether he needs it or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-27 10:34:28 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Ian White" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it is, I
can help you to justify it.

That's why we keep you around, Andy :-)

Matt means he will justify it whether he needs it or not.

There's only one person who can determine need, and that's the purchaser.

Do you purchase things that you don't need - I don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:09:24 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

RFID tags are to stop people from stealing packs of Penguin bars from Lidl.

You are moving in a different world now,

Have a google for "Hilti TPS"!

RFID keys for Hilti tools, so that they won't work if stolen. Also so that only
one person or group of persons can use a tool -- no more "nobody used it, it
just broke on its own"...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

For a jigsaw, you would not be disappointed with a Bosch GST series.
These are in the £120-140 bracket vs the Festool £190-220 range.

Makita 4350 takes some beating

Yup another vote for that from me. Definitely a "smile tool" cos that is
what it leaves on your face everytime you use it.

One of things I have detested about jigsaws is the awful blade retention
mechanism. I have seen that Bosch's SDS system is pretty good - how does
Makita compare?

(Previous heap of junk was a given-to-me Wickes cheapie - won't even
hold a blade when not cutting! Previous was a sort-of-inherited B&D made
if bendy metal and assembled with out-of-position screws.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
Rod wrote:

One of things I have detested about jigsaws is the awful blade
retention mechanism. I have seen that Bosch's SDS system is pretty
good - how does Makita compare?

It uses the SDS system as well. There is a sturdy translucent plastic
lever just below the body of the machine. You push the tab on it forward
against a spring - thus rotating the blade clamp mechanism 90 degrees.
The blade then drops into place, and you just release the lever to clamp
it. Once in place it stays put until you remove it. Simple as that.

(Previous heap of junk was a given-to-me Wickes cheapie - won't even
hold a blade when not cutting! Previous was a sort-of-inherited B&D
made if bendy metal and assembled with out-of-position screws.)

Sounds like my B&D jigsaw ;-) Needless to say there is no comparison
between them. The Makita is amazingly smooth and vibration free in
comparison.

Thanks - difficult choices lie ahead.... :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-27 10:34:28 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Ian White" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it is, I
can help you to justify it.

That's why we keep you around, Andy :-)

Matt means he will justify it whether he needs it or not.

There's only one person who can determine need, and that's the purchaser.

Do you purchase things that you don't need - I don't.

Matt, you do.

Are you my bank manager? Do you have visibility of my statements?

It seems unlikely that you are the bank manager I had lunch with a few
weeks back....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Rod wrote:

One of things I have detested about jigsaws is the awful blade retention
mechanism. I have seen that Bosch's SDS system is pretty good - how does
Makita compare?

It uses the SDS system as well. There is a sturdy translucent plastic
lever just below the body of the machine. You push the tab on it forward
against a spring - thus rotating the blade clamp mechanism 90 degrees. The
blade then drops into place, and you just release the lever to clamp it.
Once in place it stays put until you remove it. Simple as that.

Yup. Agree with John. Blade change is 100% positive, never had a blade
even think about coming out. Quick & 100% reliable.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

For a jigsaw, you would not be disappointed with a Bosch GST series.
These are in the £120-140 bracket vs the Festool £190-220 range.

Makita 4350 takes some beating

Yup another vote for that from me. Definitely a "smile tool" cos that is
what it leaves on your face everytime you use it.

Was using mine today to cut out apertures for sinks & hobs in 38mm worktop.

Bloke I know was outside sorting the garden, saw the Makita JS in action &
wanted to try it out on a worktop offcut. He was simply stunned by how well
it works. He might hold out for a few weeks before he buys one :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:47eae0c0@qaanaaq...

Lamello is Swiss precision with lots of controls for each function. You
can feel how the detents work. Turn them back to the same position and
you will get a cut with repeatability that can be measured to 0.05mm.
For precise biscuit joints, there is nothing in the world to touch it.

But why on earth would you ever need a tolerance of 0.05mm? A light sanding
would remove more than 0.05mm.

Surely the entire point of a biscuit joiner is flexibility?

Do you purchase things that you don't need - I don't.

Are you sure Andy :-) Come on now, tell the truth :-)

--
David Lang

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:09:24 +0000, Andy Hall had
this to say:

RFID tags are to stop people from stealing packs of Penguin bars from Lidl.

I used to love Penguin bars when I was a youngster.

That was in the days before they were hermetically sealed - the
wrapper was greaseproof-paper -backed foil, which you could peel apart
in a few non-sociable moments at the table.

I'm sure the green-wrapped ones were the best.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:43:17 +0000, Rod had
this to say:

John Rumm wrote:
Rod wrote:

[...]

Listen - if she wants a job done properly, you need a proper tool to
do it with.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-27 23:33:36 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:47eae0c0@qaanaaq...

Lamello is Swiss precision with lots of controls for each function. You
can feel how the detents work. Turn them back to the same position and
you will get a cut with repeatability that can be measured to 0.05mm.
For precise biscuit joints, there is nothing in the world to touch it.

But why on earth would you ever need a tolerance of 0.05mm? A light sanding
would remove more than 0.05mm.

Surely the entire point of a biscuit joiner is flexibility?

Repeatability and precise vertical alignment.

Do you purchase things that you don't need - I don't.

Are you sure Andy :-) Come on now, tell the truth :-)

Ah well......

The question really is, who determines need? What are the criteria?
Is it an absolute set of things or is it the opinion of the purchaser?
If I know about what I am potentially buying because I have used
something of the same type or researched it, then I am reasonably
qualified to judge and make decisions, especially if I am paying.

So for example, when I use a drill/driver, having precise control and
ergnomics is a critical factor. I can do this pretty well with a
Makita product and wouldn't entertain having anything of poor standard
such as DIY store own brands. I bought a Festool C12 a year and a
bit back. It isn't an inexpensive product. However, the clutch
control is much more precise and repeatable than the Makita and it's
quite light and superbly balanced. I can rattle off work quite a bit
quicker. Similarly, I have a Festool sheet sander and it is also
well balanced and low in vibration. Same thing with a Metabo random
orbit sander. I need to use time efficiently and so tools such as
these that I can use all day if needed are a natural choice.

OTOH, I had the misfortune of coming through Terminal 5 earlier this
evening. All that you have seen on the news is true. It's a shambles
- more like a department store with aeroplanes as incidentals. A lot
of the equipment wasn't working; quite a bit was missing (e.g. none of
the little cabinets that I saw that house defibrillators had one in
them). The car park was free because the pay machines weren't
working etc.

Several people were heard to remark on the way out that they needed a
drink. I was happy just to go home.

Several other people *need* to be fired over the fiasco, but I expect
that they will just hire a different firm of management consultants
instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Rod wrote:

One of things I have detested about jigsaws is the awful blade retention
mechanism. I have seen that Bosch's SDS system is pretty good - how does
Makita compare?

It uses the SDS system as well. There is a sturdy translucent plastic
lever just below the body of the machine. You push the tab on it forward
against a spring - thus rotating the blade clamp mechanism 90 degrees. The
blade then drops into place, and you just release the lever to clamp it.
Once in place it stays put until you remove it. Simple as that.

Yup. Agree with John. Blade change is 100% positive, never had a blade
even think about coming out. Quick & 100% reliable.

Thanks for the answers folks.

Why did you both go for the 4350 rather than the same-priced 4351? ("The
Makita 4351FCT has the body grip design preferred by many professionals.")

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Rod wrote:

One of things I have detested about jigsaws is the awful blade retention
mechanism. I have seen that Bosch's SDS system is pretty good - how does
Makita compare?

It uses the SDS system as well. There is a sturdy translucent plastic
lever just below the body of the machine.

I agree its translucent plastic but I will never agree that type of
translucent plastic is sturdy.

My Erbauer has a nice metal locking ring. OK its doesn't cut straight....

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-27 10:34:28 +0000, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Ian White" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Which Festool product were you looking to buy? Whichever one it
is, I can help you to justify it.

That's why we keep you around, Andy :-)

Matt means he will justify it whether he needs it or not.

There's only one person who can determine need, and that's the
purchaser.

Do you purchase things that you don't need - I don't.

Matt, you do.

Are you my bank manager? Do you have visibility of my statements?

It seems unlikely that you are the bank manager I had lunch with a few
weeks back....

You probably have quite a few bank managers if your eggs are in so many
different baskets. It'll all be part of the same omelet if things go tits up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-26 21:37:06 +0000, Rod said:

... you have to fess up the new tool you just bought ... :-)

(According to partner on seeing them for the first time at Isaac Lord
this afternoon.)

There are less expensive places than Isaac Lord, however you have to go
a long way to get a better customer ethic than from the guys at their
trade counter. * * Even if you don't really know what you want because
you are not in the trade, they will help. * They will even offer a
discount card on a first purchase, and there are none of the sharp
intake of breath games. * * * I'm *really* *picky about good service,
and I can't fault them in any way at all.

ROTFLMFAO!

Try upstairs in the High Wycombe branch. I will NEVER EVER attempt to
share any of my money with them again after waiting patiently at the
counter and being TOTALLY ignored. I could see he was busy, but not
even a "with you in a moment sir" or similar. They need a serious
staff training programme put in place.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Rod wrote:

One of things I have detested about jigsaws is the awful blade
retention mechanism. I have seen that Bosch's SDS system is pretty
good - how does Makita compare?
It uses the SDS system as well. There is a sturdy translucent
plastic lever just below the body of the machine. You push the tab
on it forward against a spring - thus rotating the blade clamp
mechanism 90 degrees. The blade then drops into place, and you just
release the lever to clamp it. Once in place it stays put until you
remove it. Simple as that.

Yup. Agree with John. Blade change is 100% positive, never had a
blade even think about coming out. Quick & 100% reliable.

Thanks for the answers folks.

Why did you both go for the 4350 rather than the same-priced 4351?
("The Makita 4351FCT has the body grip design preferred by many
professionals.")

I have the 4341 which is the previous model to the 4351. I just prefer
barrel grip jigsaws, I think they give greater control.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-28 19:28:15 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Rod wrote:

[...]

If it's a good one it doesn't matter a lot. I recently tried out two
of Festool's models (each style) and had good results with both.

Festool Chris UK diy 3 March 14th 08 03:14 PM
Festool r payne Woodworking 60 February 25th 08 04:31 PM
Festool TS-55 or Festool TS-75 Plunge Cut Saw [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 21st 07 09:16 AM
Festool comes through for me. Robatoy Woodworking 47 April 5th 07 04:37 AM
Festool Oldun Woodworking 1 July 27th 05 02:32 PM